Connect with us

Crime

Nigeria: 1,250 Boko Haram surrendered after 200 fighters, families killed by ISWAP in Borno

Published

on

Nigeria: 1,250 Boko Haram surrendered after 200 fighters, families killed by ISWAP in Borno

By: Zagalola Makama

At least 1,250 fleeing Boko Haram fighters and families have surrendered to Nigerian troops in the country’s North East in the last seven days following a deadly clash with the rival Islamic State of the West African Province (Iswap) that claimed over 200 lives.

ISWAP terrorists carried out reprisal attacks on Boko Haram fighters on February 26 and 27, 2023 in Gaizuwa, Mantari, Gabchari, Kashimiri and Maimusari in Bama, North East Borno state.

The ISWAP group successfully dislodged Boko Haram, killing scores of them and forcing survivors to flee their camps together with their families.

A top Military sources revealed that the ISWAP group intercepted the fleeing terrorists in Yale in Konduga and Choliye in Gudumbali LGA and nutrialised morethan 200 of them.

The ISWAP stormed another hideouts in Asinari, Ashanari and Masarmari area in Konduga on March 1, 2023 and killed another scores of other fighters.

The sources explained that the sustained inter-rivalry clash of the groups, triggered massive surrendering of the militants in Mafa, Konduga and Bama Local Government Areas.

He said “The militants surrendered because of the fear that they will be nutrialised by either the Super Tukano’s of the Military or ISWAP rival faction.

“There was no hiding place anymore for them. If they stay in an open ground, they will be killed and they attempt to cross over to the ISWAP strongholds in Northern Borno, they will get killed too.

He said “So far, we have received 1,250 fighters and their families within one week. This overwhelming number was the highest we have recieved at a very short period of time in different parts of the theartre.

“The surrendered suspects who also came out with about 1,000 livestock, confessed that the ISWAP were after their lives as they do not spear women and children.

“Among those who surrendered were women who had been enslaved by, conscripted by or minors born to the insurgents,”he said.

The military sources said profiling of the surrendered terrorists is ongoing, after which the individuals will be handed over to the appropriate agencies for further rehabilitation.

Recalled that the military authority said as many as 100,000 fighters and family members, along with their captives, have left Boko Haram.

The largest wave of defections by terror group was attributed to the death of Abubakar Shekau, Boko Haram’s leader, who blew himself up in May 2021, during a rival clash with ISWAP.

Nigeria: 1,250 Boko Haram surrendered after 200 fighters, families killed by ISWAP in Borno

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Crime

Troops Raid Criminal Hideouts, Arrest 10 Suspects in Plateau

Published

on

Troops Raid Criminal Hideouts, Arrest 10 Suspects in Plateau

By: Zagazola Makama

Troops of Sector 1 of Operation Safe Haven have conducted coordinated raid operations on suspected criminal hideouts in Bassa Local Government Area of Plateau State, leading to the arrest of 10 suspects.

Security sources said the operation was carried out at about 9:00 p.m. on May 19 at Gurum and Mista-Ali communities as part of ongoing efforts to deny criminal elements freedom of action within the area.

The troops reportedly stormed identified hideouts and arrested the suspects during the operation without incident.

A total of 10 suspects were taken into custody and are currently undergoing profiling and preliminary investigation.

Security sources said the raid forms part of sustained clearance operations aimed at curbing criminal activities, including banditry, kidnapping, and other related offences across Plateau State.

They added that security patrols and intelligence-driven operations would continue in vulnerable communities to restore lasting peace.

Troops Raid Criminal Hideouts, Arrest 10 Suspects in Plateau

Continue Reading

Crime

Troops Disrupt Illegal Mining Activities in Plateau

Published

on

Troops Disrupt Illegal Mining Activities in Plateau

By: Zagazola Makama

Troops of Sector 4, Sub-Sector 41 of Operation Enduring Peace have disrupted suspected illegal mining activities in Barkin Ladi Local Government Area of Plateau State.

Security sources said the troops responded at about 7:00 p.m. on May 19 following reports of illegal mining operations between NTV and Hirpiya villages.

On arrival at the location, the suspected illegal miners reportedly fled the scene upon sighting the troops.

The troops subsequently secured the area and recovered items believed to have been used for the illegal activities, including one long pipe, one generator, and one pumping machine.

The recovered items have been taken into custody for further investigation and necessary action.

Security sources said the operation formed part of ongoing efforts to curb illegal mining and other criminal activities contributing to insecurity and environmental degradation in Plateau State.

Troops Disrupt Illegal Mining Activities in Plateau

Continue Reading

Crime

Troops Arrest Wanted Kidnap Suspect Linked to Abduction of Retired Colonel in Plateau

Published

on

Troops Arrest Wanted Kidnap Suspect Linked to Abduction of Retired Colonel in Plateau

By: Zagazola Makama

Troops of Sector 3 of Operation Safe Haven have arrested a wanted kidnap suspect linked to the abduction of a retired military officer in Plateau State.

Security sources said the suspect, identified as Abubakar Ahamadu, 35, was apprehended at about 4:00 p.m. on May 20 during an intelligence-led operation.

He was reportedly linked to the kidnapping of retired Col. Ajanaku (rtd), which occurred on Jan. 4 along Rukuba Road in Bassa LGA.

Sources said the arrest followed sustained efforts by troops to track and dismantle kidnapping networks operating within the area.

The suspect is currently in custody and undergoing further investigation and profiling.

Troops Arrest Wanted Kidnap Suspect Linked to Abduction of Retired Colonel in Plateau

Continue Reading

Trending

Verified by MonsterInsights