News
Nigeria Calls for Calm as Houthi-Saudi Arabia Tensions Raise Fresh Regional Security Concerns
Nigeria Calls for Calm as Houthi-Saudi Arabia Tensions Raise Fresh Regional Security Concerns
By: Michael Mike
The Federal Government of Nigeria has appealed for urgent de-escalation between Yemen’s Houthi movement and the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia following renewed tensions and reported attacks, warning that further hostilities could worsen insecurity in the Middle East and threaten civilian lives.
Nigeria, through the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, expressed deep concern over the unfolding situation and urged all parties to exercise maximum restraint, avoid retaliatory actions and embrace dialogue as the pathway towards resolving their differences.
In a statement issued on Sunday, the ministry said Nigeria remained committed to the principles of peaceful dispute resolution, international law and the objectives of the United Nations Charter.
“The Federal Government of Nigeria notes with deep concern the ongoing tensions and reported attacks involving the Houthi militia in Yemen and the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia,” the statement said.
“Nigeria strongly calls on all parties to exercise maximum restraint, immediately de-escalate the situation, and refrain from any further actions that could inflame hostilities or endanger civilian lives and regional peace and stability.”
The government stressed that any escalation of the conflict could have wider implications for regional security, adding that diplomacy and peaceful engagement remained the most effective means of preventing further deterioration.
The tensions between the Houthis and Saudi Arabia are rooted in Yemen’s prolonged conflict, which has become one of the world’s most complex humanitarian and geopolitical crises.
The Houthi movement, also known as Ansar Allah, emerged in northern Yemen and gained significant influence after taking control of Yemen’s capital, Sana’a, in 2014. The development triggered a military intervention by a Saudi-led coalition in 2015, which backed Yemen’s internationally recognised government against the group.
The conflict has since resulted in widespread destruction, displacement and a severe humanitarian crisis, with millions of Yemenis affected by food insecurity, limited access to healthcare and damaged infrastructure.
Although periods of relative calm and diplomatic efforts have reduced the intensity of fighting in recent years, tensions between the Houthis and Saudi Arabia have continued to pose a major security challenge. The Houthis have previously carried out missile and drone attacks targeting Saudi territory, while Riyadh has responded with military operations.
The conflict has also drawn wider regional attention due to its links with broader rivalries in the Middle East and concerns over the security of key trade routes, particularly around the Red Sea.
Nigeria has consistently advocated peaceful resolution of international disputes and has called for dialogue in conflicts affecting global stability.
The Federal Government reaffirmed its readiness to support genuine initiatives aimed at reducing tensions, restoring calm and promoting lasting peace in the region.
The statement, signed by Kimiebi Imomotimi Ebienfa, spokesperson for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, emphasised Nigeria’s continued support for diplomatic solutions and the protection of civilian populations affected by conflicts worldwide.
As regional and international actors monitor developments, Nigeria urged all stakeholders to prioritise peace and stability over further confrontation.
Nigeria Calls for Calm as Houthi-Saudi Arabia Tensions Raise Fresh Regional Security Concerns
News
Strike: Gombe tertiary institutions issue 14-Day ultimatum over unpaid entitlements
Strike: Gombe tertiary institutions issue 14-Day ultimatum over unpaid entitlements
By Hajara Usman
The Joint Union of Gombe State Tertiary Institutions (JOUGTIN) has issued a 14-day ultimatum to the Gombe State Government to address outstanding staff welfare entitlements and implement agreed conditions of service across public tertiary institutions in the state.
The union, comprising the Colleges of Education Academic Staff Union (COEASU), Academic Staff Union of Polytechnics (ASUP), Senior Staff Union of Colleges of Education in Nigeria (SSUCOEN), Senior Staff Association of Nigerian Polytechnics (SSANIP), and Non-Academic Staff Union of Educational and Associated Institutions (NASU), issued the ultimatum in a communiqué dated August 17, 2026.
According to the unions, the outstanding issues have persisted despite several engagements with relevant government authorities.
JOUGTIN acknowledged the efforts of Governor Muhammadu Inuwa Yahaya in supporting tertiary education in the state, but said several critical staff welfare matters remain unresolved.
Among the issues raised are the non-implementation of the consolidated ₦70,000 national minimum wage and its consequential adjustments for staff of public tertiary institutions.
The unions also demanded the implementation of approved 25 per cent and 35 per cent CONPCASS/CONTISS salary adjustments, payment of outstanding consequential adjustments arising from the ₦30,000 minimum wage, and payment of approved wage awards, palliatives and other relief measures introduced in response to economic hardship.
Other demands include the implementation of outstanding staff promotions, payment of promotion arrears, some of which the unions said date back several years, annual salary increments, and the implementation of approved CATA and CONTTA allowances.
JOUGTIN said the continued failure to address the issues had placed a heavy financial burden on workers and their families, while negatively affecting staff morale, productivity and industrial relations in the tertiary education sector.
The union said it had exhausted various avenues of dialogue and constructive engagement before resorting to the 14-day ultimatum.
It therefore called on the state government to take “concrete, verifiable and meaningful steps” towards resolving the outstanding demands within the stipulated period.
JOUGTIN warned that failure to secure satisfactory action within 14 days would compel the unions to commence further legitimate industrial action, including an indefinite strike, without further notice.
The unions, however, said they remained committed to dialogue, mutual respect and peaceful engagement, stressing that the ultimatum was not intended to undermine their relationship with the government.
They appealed to parents, students, traditional and community leaders, civil society organisations and members of the public to understand the circumstances behind their action and support efforts to achieve a lasting resolution.
The unions expressed hope that the government would respond positively to their demands in the interest of industrial harmony, staff welfare, uninterrupted academic activities and the sustainable development of tertiary education in Gombe State.
Strike: Gombe tertiary institutions issue 14-Day ultimatum over unpaid entitlements
News
Buni calls on emirs to lead peace missions in Yobe
Buni calls on emirs to lead peace missions in Yobe
By: Yahaya Wakili
The Executive Governor of Yobe State, Hon. Mai Mala Buni, CON, COMN, has called on the traditional rulers in the state to remain custodians of our heritage and to lead prayers for peace and unity among the citizens of the state.
He said our traditional institutions must continue to promote mutual respect, brotherhood, and peaceful coexistence, noting that the peace and stability we enjoy in Yobe State today must be protected by all of us.
The governor stated this today at Potiskum, the headquarters of the Fika emirate council, while attending a special prayer session marking the 70th birthday anniversary of the Emir of Fika and Chairman of the Yobe State Council of Traditional Rulers, HRH Alhaji Dr. Muhammadu Abali Ibn Muhammadu Idrissa, CON, CFR.
The Yobe State APC gubernatorial candidate, Alhaji Baba Mallam Wali MNI, FCAN, ably represented the governor. The emirate offered prayers for the continued peace, unity, and prosperity of Yobe State and the success of Governor Buni and the incoming governor, inshallah, Alhaji Baba Malam Wali MNI FCAN.
In his remarks, His Royal Father, the emir of Fika, Alhaji Dr. Muhammadu Abali Ibn Muhammadu Idrissa, CON, CFR, thanked His Excellency, Governor Mai Mala Buni, CON, COMN, for his support and called on citizens to be law-abiding, adding that there is no wealth greater than peace.
The emir also called on the people to pray for a bumper harvest this year’s farming season, as well as charged them to love one another and always promote peace in all their endeavors.
Buni calls on emirs to lead peace missions in Yobe
News
Buni urged youths in Yobe to actively participate in elections for competent candidates
Buni urged youths in Yobe to actively participate in elections for competent candidates
By: Yahaya Wakili
Yobe State Governor Hon. Mai Mala Buni CON, COMN, has charged the youth in the state to participate actively in all the elections of competent persons for various political offices in the state and Nigeria.
He also assured the youth in the state that they have a prosperous future in their lives.
Governor Buni stated this at a two-day retreat organized by the Coalition of All Progressives Congress (APC) Political Organizations (COYAPO).
According to him, the youth constitute the larger population of the state; therefore, you must be actively involved to shape the politics and leadership of the state.
In his earlier address, the Director General of COYAPO, Alhaji Babagana Modu alias Bature Goniri, commended Governor Mai Mala Buni for the opportunity extended to youth in the state to participate in governance.
Buni urged youths in Yobe to actively participate in elections for competent candidates
-
News2 years agoRoger Federer’s Shock as DNA Results Reveal Myla and Charlene Are Not His Biological Children
-
Opinions5 years agoTHE PLIGHT OF FARIDA
-
News1 year agoFAILED COUP IN BURKINA FASO: HOW TRAORÉ NARROWLY ESCAPED ASSASSINATION PLOT AMID FOREIGN INTERFERENCE CLAIMS
-
News2 years agoEYN: Rev. Billi, Distortion of History, and The Living Tamarind Tree
-
Opinions5 years agoPOLICE CHARGE ROOMS, A MINTING PRESS
-
ACADEMICS2 years agoA History of Biu” (2015) and The Lingering Bura-Pabir Question (1)
-
Columns2 years agoArmy University Biu: There is certain interest, but certainly not from Borno.
-
Politics1 year ago2027: Why Hon. Midala Balami Must Go, as Youths in Hawul and Asikira/Uba Federal Constituency Reject ₦500,000 as Sallah Gift
