News
Nigeria: Prince Harry and Meghan arrived in Nigeria
Nigeria: Prince Harry and Meghan arrived in Nigeria
- Currently at Defence Headquarters
- To visit Wounded Soldiers in Kaduna, others
By: Our Reporter
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex, Prince Harry, and Meghan arrived in Abuja, Nigeria’s capital, at 4:53 p.m. on Friday after boarding the British Airways overnight flight, which was slightly delayed after the scheduled pilot went sick, and a replacement had to be quickly arranged.
Harry and Meghan were received on arrival by some Nigerian officials at the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport in Abuja.
The couples were afterward taken out of a side door onto the jetty and into a waiting blacked-out minibus.
“They will be tired after their journey, so they will rest, and then the first engagement is at midday at the Defense Headquarters,” defense spokesperson Brigadier General Tukur Gusau said.
“After that, they will travel to Kaduna to meet wounded soldiers at the 44 military hospital there before returning to Abuja for other engagements.”
In 2022, the Duchess of Sussex revealed that she had discovered via a genealogy test that she was 43% Nigerian.
The visit, primarily to promote the Invictus Games, comes after Harry met the Nigerian team and Chief of Defense Staff General Christopher Musa at last year’s competition in Düsseldorf, Germany.
It was there that he told the audience Meghan was ‘rooting for Team Nigeria’, after discovering she had heritage from the West African nation.
The couple is due to visit a school before the duke meets injured service members at a military hospital.
They will also attend a training session for the charity organization Nigeria: Unconquered, which collaborates with the Invictus Games, as well as a reception where military families will be honored.
On Saturday, the couple will attend a training session for the organization, Nigeria: Unconquered, and a reception hosted by the Chief of Defense Staff in honor of military families.
In the afternoon, Meghan will co-host an event on Women in Leadership with Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, Director General of the World Trade Organization.
On Sunday, the couple will attend a basketball clinic with the Giants of Africa, a cultural reception, and a polo fundraiser for Nigeria: Unconquered.
Talking about it in her Archetypes podcast, she told comedian Ziwe, “I’m going to start to dig deeper into all this because anybody that I’ve told, especially Nigerian women, is like, ‘What!’ ”
“This is huge for our community. No, honestly, you do look like a Nigerian; you look like my aunt Uzo. So this is great,” Ziwe, 30, said.
Nigeria: Prince Harry and Meghan arrived in Nigeria
News
Security forces Conduct Show of Force In Jos, Bukuru During Church Services
Security forces Conduct Show of Force In Jos, Bukuru During Church Services
By: Zagazola Makama
Joint Security forced in Plateau State on Sunday conducted a joint show of force across major flashpoints within Jos metropolis and the Bukuru general area to ensure peaceful church services and strengthen public confidence.
The operation involved troops of Operation Enduring Peace, personnel of the Nigerian Air Force 551 Station, Operation Keystone, the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC), and other security agencies.
Security sources said the exercise commenced at about 7:30 a.m. and was aimed at denying criminal elements freedom of action while providing adequate security coverage during church services.
The coordinated patrols and visibility operations covered identified vulnerable areas and strategic locations within Jos and Bukuru.
According to the sources, the operation was conducted without any security breach or incident, while religious activities across the affected areas remained peaceful.
The security agencies reaffirmed their commitment to sustaining collaborative operations aimed at maintaining law and order as well as protecting lives and property in Plateau State.
Security forces Conduct Show of Force In Jos, Bukuru During Church Services
News
Teenage Sensations Rosemary, Miracle Win Gold for Nigeria, Secure World Championship Spot
Teenage Sensations Rosemary, Miracle Win Gold for Nigeria, Secure World Championship Spot
Nigeria recorded a major triumph at the 24th CAA Senior Athletics Championship in Accra, Ghana, as teenage athletes Rosemary and Miracle delivered a stunning performance to win gold for the country in the women’s 4x100m relay event.
The young stars, both students of NTIC Secondary School, helped Team Nigeria clinch the gold medal with an impressive time of 42.94 seconds, further underlining the country’s growing strength in athletics.
Their victory also secured Nigeria a ticket to the World Championships in Gaborone, while guaranteeing qualification for the 2027 World Championship in China.
The feat was particularly remarkable for Rosemary, who was making her senior debut for Nigeria at the continental championship.
Sports enthusiasts have since praised the duo for proving that age is no barrier to excellence, with many describing their performance as a glimpse into the bright future of Nigerian athletics.
Teenage Sensations Rosemary, Miracle Win Gold for Nigeria, Secure World Championship Spot
News
The Role of Intelligence in the Nigeria-US Joint Counter-Terrorism Operations That Neutralized Top ISWAP Commander, Fighters
The Role of Intelligence in the Nigeria-US Joint Counter-Terrorism Operations That Neutralized Top ISWAP Commander, Fighters
By Augustine Aminu
On Friday, May 16, 2026, the world was jolted by news of the killing of top commander of the Islamic State’s West Africa Province (ISWAP), Abour Mainok and several other fighters. Also known as Abu Bilal al-Minuki, and considered the second-in-command of ISIL (ISIS) globally, the top terrorist commander was reportedly killed during a joint Nigeria-U.S. Counter Terrorism operation in Metele, Borno State.
Ever since the elimination of al-Minuki, considered one of the biggest blows in recent times to terrorists in the world over, torrents of encomium have been pouring in for the Nigeria -U. S. joint terrorism operations.
Posting on his Truth Social handle, U. S. President Donald Trump, wrote, “Brave American forces and the Armed Forces of Nigeria flawlessly executed a meticulously planned and very complex mission to eliminate the most active terrorist in the world from the battlefield,”
Al-Minuki, added President Trump, “thought he could hide in Africa, but little did he know we had sources who kept us informed on what he was doing.”
On his part, President Bola Tinubu stated that both countries had “recorded a significant example of effective collaboration in the fight against terrorism”.
Early assessments indicate that al-Minuki, along with “several of his lieutenants,” were killed during a strike on his compound in Metele, Borno State,” Tinubu said.
“Nigeria appreciates this partnership with the United States in advancing our shared security objectives,” he added. “I extend my sincere gratitude to President Trump for his leadership and unwavering support in this effort,” he added.
A few days after President Trump praised Nigerian Intelligence services for helping to hunt down Abu-Bilal al-Minuki, a man he described as “the most active terrorist in the world,” US Air Force General, Dagvin R.M. Anderson, Commander of U.S. Africa Command, also spoke glowingly of Nigeria’s Intelligence services.
Remarked Anderson, “The Nigerians have been instrumental throughout the last several months, developing the target, helping us with the Intelligence and providing support. So, it could not have been done by our own Forces. We needed to do that in conjunction with them.”
Security sources who analyzed President Trump’s terse statement, alongside that of the to head of AFRICOM, General Anderson, were quick to point out that the “sources” who kept the United States and Nigerian Armed Forces informed of the movements of al-Minuki and his fighters, may be none other than Nigeria’s Intelligence agencies: the Department of State Services (DSS), the Nigerian Intelligence Agency (NIA), and Defence Intelligence Agency (DIA).
Interestingly, six days before al-Minuki’s elimination, something crucial to the fight against terrorism happened in one North central town, well over 1,100 kilometres away from Metele, Borno State, where al-Minuki and over 175 of his fighters would meet their Waterloo.
Just as DSS, NIA and DIA operatives were helping US and Nigerian troops monitor the movement of Al-Minuki and his fighters around the Lake Chad region, a set of DSS operatives covertly captured a notorious leader of one of ISWAP’s critical cell in Nigeria . His name is Abdulrahman Ozovieh Muhammad alias Abu Ghozi.
Abu Ghozi, security sources believe, masterminded the December 2020 attack on a military checkpoint in Okene, killing two naval personnel and carting away their weapons.
Additionally, Abu Ghozi is believed to have masterminded the 11th March, 2021 bank robbery at Okuku, in Oda-Atin LGA of Osun State; carried out several attacks on police formations in Okene, Okehi and Adavi LGAs. He didn’t spare security checkpoints along Okene-Auchi, Okene –Kabba and Okene-Ajaokuta roads.
Also believed to be behind several kidnaps, including the October 2025 kidnap of a Chinese national in Okpella, Edo State, during which eight personnel of the Nigerian Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC) were killed, is Abu Ghozi.
In January, 2026, his group reportedly attacked and burnt down the house of the Chief Priest at Uhodo area of Okehi LGA. Members of his suspected terrorist group were, before his arrest by the DSS, reportedly set to attack detention facilities in Kainji and Abuja, to release detained members of their group.
Security sources believe that Abu Ghozi’s capture by DSS officers may have greatly helped the Nigerian Intelligence Services (DSS, NIA and DIA) gather further Intelligence that was ultimately used to nail al-Minuki and his fighters six days later in faraway Metele, Borno State.
No doubt, Nigeria’s Intelligence community and their military counterpart again proved very invaluable to the recent successes in the global fight against terrorism, and helped position Nigeria as a very trusted ally in the fight against terrorism.
For the first time since Nigeria began fighting terrorism circa 2010, the country has now fully turned the heat on terrorists, smoking them.out on a daily basis.. The recent successes recorded shows that with our Armed Forces increasingly relying on the intelligence supplied by the DSS, NIA and DIA, Nigeria will sooner than later overcome her security challenges.
Aminu has been online editor of several newspapers, and lives in Abuja
-
News2 years agoRoger Federer’s Shock as DNA Results Reveal Myla and Charlene Are Not His Biological Children
-
Opinions4 years agoTHE PLIGHT OF FARIDA
-
News1 year agoFAILED COUP IN BURKINA FASO: HOW TRAORÉ NARROWLY ESCAPED ASSASSINATION PLOT AMID FOREIGN INTERFERENCE CLAIMS
-
News2 years agoEYN: Rev. Billi, Distortion of History, and The Living Tamarind Tree
-
Opinions4 years agoPOLICE CHARGE ROOMS, A MINTING PRESS
-
ACADEMICS2 years agoA History of Biu” (2015) and The Lingering Bura-Pabir Question (1)
-
Columns2 years agoArmy University Biu: There is certain interest, but certainly not from Borno.
-
Politics12 months ago2027: Why Hon. Midala Balami Must Go, as Youths in Hawul and Asikira/Uba Federal Constituency Reject ₦500,000 as Sallah Gift
