Connect with us

News

Nigeria: Prince Harry and Meghan arrived in Nigeria

Published

on

Nigeria: Prince Harry and Meghan arrived in Nigeria

  • Currently at Defence Headquarters
  • To visit Wounded Soldiers in Kaduna, others

By: Our Reporter

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex, Prince Harry, and Meghan arrived in Abuja, Nigeria’s capital, at 4:53 p.m. on Friday after boarding the British Airways overnight flight, which was slightly delayed after the scheduled pilot went sick, and a replacement had to be quickly arranged.

Harry and Meghan were received on arrival by some Nigerian officials at the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport in Abuja.

The couples were afterward taken out of a side door onto the jetty and into a waiting blacked-out minibus.

“They will be tired after their journey, so they will rest, and then the first engagement is at midday at the Defense Headquarters,” defense spokesperson Brigadier General Tukur Gusau said.

“After that, they will travel to Kaduna to meet wounded soldiers at the 44 military hospital there before returning to Abuja for other engagements.”

In 2022, the Duchess of Sussex revealed that she had discovered via a genealogy test that she was 43% Nigerian.

The visit, primarily to promote the Invictus Games, comes after Harry met the Nigerian team and Chief of Defense Staff General Christopher Musa at last year’s competition in Düsseldorf, Germany.

It was there that he told the audience Meghan was ‘rooting for Team Nigeria’, after discovering she had heritage from the West African nation.

The couple is due to visit a school before the duke meets injured service members at a military hospital.

They will also attend a training session for the charity organization Nigeria: Unconquered, which collaborates with the Invictus Games, as well as a reception where military families will be honored.

On Saturday, the couple will attend a training session for the organization, Nigeria: Unconquered, and a reception hosted by the Chief of Defense Staff in honor of military families.

In the afternoon, Meghan will co-host an event on Women in Leadership with Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, Director General of the World Trade Organization.

On Sunday, the couple will attend a basketball clinic with the Giants of Africa, a cultural reception, and a polo fundraiser for Nigeria: Unconquered.

Talking about it in her Archetypes podcast, she told comedian Ziwe, “I’m going to start to dig deeper into all this because anybody that I’ve told, especially Nigerian women, is like, ‘What!’ ”

“This is huge for our community. No, honestly, you do look like a Nigerian; you look like my aunt Uzo. So this is great,” Ziwe, 30, said.

Nigeria: Prince Harry and Meghan arrived in Nigeria

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Seven ISWAP Fighters’ Family Members, 12 Children Flee Yaganari Enclave, Surrender to Troops

Published

on

Seven ISWAP Fighters’ Family Members, 12 Children Flee Yaganari Enclave, Surrender to Troops

By Zagazola Makama

Seven family members of suspected terrorists, accompanied by 12 children, have surrendered to troops of Operation HADIN KAI at Mafa in Borno State, following reported hunger and violent clashes among rival terrorist factions.

According to sources, the seven women surrendered at about 5 p.m. on Aug. 17 to troops of 112 Task Force Battalion deployed in Mafa.

The women were identified as Falamatai Modu, 30; Kelu Yaga, 25; Fada Yaga, 30; Gwaya Kadi, 25; Hauwa Mallam, 25; Maryam Yusuf, 25; and Fanna Kadi, 40.

They were accompanied by 12 children, aged between three months and 10 years.

Preliminary interrogation revealed that the women escaped from the Yaganari terrorist enclave due to hunger and concerns over their safety following violent clashes between rival terrorist factions.

The report said the escapees were profiled and documented by the troops and would be handed over to the 24 Task Force Brigade Military Intelligence Regiment for further action.

The development highlights the increasing pressure on terrorist enclaves in the North-East, where sustained military operations and internal factional clashes continue to disrupt the groups’ activities and survival networks.

The military authorities said the general security situation across the theatre remained calm but unpredictable, while troops’ morale and fighting efficiency remained satisfactory.

Seven ISWAP Fighters’ Family Members, 12 Children Flee Yaganari Enclave, Surrender to Troops

Continue Reading

News

Again, Military Neutralise 8 ISWAP Fighters in Precision Airstrike in Timbuktu Triangle

Published

on

Again, Military Neutralise 8 ISWAP Fighters in Precision Airstrike in Timbuktu Triangle

By Zagazola Makama

Troops of Operation HADIN KAI have neutralised eight suspected Islamic State West Africa Province (ISWAP) terrorists in a precision airstrike at Thethangala, within the Timbuktu Triangle of Borno State.

According to a Special Situation Report obtained by Zagazola Makama, the operation followed intelligence on terrorist activities in the area.

The report said a Guardian aircraft established overhead at Thethangala at about 9:56 p.m. on Aug. 18 and subsequently sighted eight terrorists who had converged and were lying in wait, apparently preparing to attack troops at their location.

Following the sighting, the aircraft conducted a precision strike on the identified terrorists.

“Battle Damage Assessment shows all the terrorists neutralised with no further movement observed after the strike,” the report stated.

The military said the general security situation remained calm but unpredictable, while the morale and fighting efficiency of troops remained satisfactory.

The latest air operation is part of sustained intelligence-led efforts by the Air Component of Operation HADIN KAI to disrupt terrorist concentrations and prevent planned attacks against troops operating in the North-East.

The Timbuktu Triangle remains one of the areas where terrorist groups have continued to seek opportunities to regroup and launch attacks against military positions.

Again, Military Neutralise 8 ISWAP Fighters in Precision Airstrike in Timbuktu Triangle

Continue Reading

News

NTTF VP Mailantarki tasks stakeholders on grassroots development

Published

on

NTTF VP Mailantarki tasks stakeholders on grassroots development

The Vice President of the Nigeria Table Tennis Federation (NTTF), Honourable Khamisu Ahmed Mailantarki, has commended the sponsor of the Senior Advocate Cup, Muhammed Sani Ndanusa (SAN), urging more stakeholders to emulate his profound passion for grassroots talent development across Northern Nigeria and the nation at large.

Hon. Mailantarki gave the commendation in a press statement issued on Tuesday by his media aide, Mr Adamu Usman Ahmed.

Mailantarki while speaking during the closing ceremony of the highly anticipated tournament congratulated the various winners across the different categories of Men Singles, Junior Single and the veterans.

The NTTF VP thrilled the audience at the Kaduna Police Officers’ Mess Indoor Sport hall with an exciting developmental announcement.

He revealed that the two finalists of the Junior Singles category have been selected for a special performance camping program at his prestigious Table Tennis Academy in Abuja. Based on their performance at the camp, they stand the chance of securing full sponsorship to an upcoming international youth championship.

The 6th edition of the championship witnessed spectacular displays of talents. In the elite category, Abayomi Martins from Borno State delivered a stellar performance to take home the overall winner’s prize, leaving Kamal Muktar of Kano State to settle for the runner-up medal.

In the fiercely contested Junior category, the host state’s Mustapha Muktar (Kaduna) triumphed over Taraba State’s Harrison Jacob to clinch the ultimate prize.

Looking to the future, Hon. Mailantarki assured fans and players that similar grassroots and elite developmental championships would be organized in other states to ensure the continuous discovery and nurturing of table tennis talents in the country.

NTTF VP Mailantarki tasks stakeholders on grassroots development

Continue Reading

Trending

Verified by MonsterInsights