Connect with us

News

Nigeria, Seven Other Countries Get $1.96 million from ECOWAS to Tackle VVF

Published

on

Nigeria, Seven Other Countries Get $1.96 million from ECOWAS to Tackle VVF

By: Michael Mike

Nigeria and seven other member countries of Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) have received $1.96 million from the ECOWAS Gender Development Centre to tackle cases of fistula disorder (Vesicovaginal fistula).

All the eight countries got $245,000 each. The other countries are Togo, Benin, Guinea Bissau, Ghana, Cote D’Ivoire, Gambia, and Liberia.

The presentation of cheques to the beneficiaries were one of the highlights at the 91st Ordinary Session of the ECOWAS Council of Ministers held in Abuja.

Speaking at the event, the Minister of Foreign Affairs, and Chairman ECOWAS Council of Ministers, Amb. Yusuf Tuggar revealed that the Council would deliberate on the Community budget for the 2024 fiscal year while lamenting the current economic challenges affecting the region’s Gross Domestic Product and revenue generation.

The Nigeria’s Minister of Foreign Affairs noted that: “We must be mindful of the prevailing economic and financial challenges confronting our sub-region, such as inflation, high food prices, and currency devaluation, which have adversely affected our economies.”

He lamented that: “These challenges have impacted on our gross domestic product, revenue generation, and in particular our mobilization of the Community Levy, due to devaluation of some of our major currencies, particularly Cedi and Naira
against the US Dollar.”

Tuggar urged Council Ministers to support the recommendations of the Administration and Finance Committee on enhancing prudence, as well as the efforts of the President of the Commission and other Heads of the Institutions on blocking leakages to ensure judicious use of the meagre resources.

Also, the President of the ECOWAS Commission, Omar Touray, decried that member states under sanctions have stopped remitting levies, adding that ECOWAS need enough financial resources to tackle the challenges bedeviling the region.

Touray said: “For some time now, the levy collection has been a challenge. The amount of 0.5% ECOWAS levy on imports from outside the Community has been collected by member states on behalf of ECOWAS.

“However, the deposit of these funds into the ECOWAS bank accounts at the country level and access to the funds have been a challenge. This has led to low resource mobilization.

“The situation is more critical now that our member states under sanctions have stopped remitting the levy. As the financial situation gets more difficult, the tasks for ECOWAS are growing.”

He however urged the Council of Ministers to “mobilise the levy fully to be able to implement our community work programme and keep up with the successes of ECOWAS.”

Nigeria, Seven Other Countries Get $1.96 million from ECOWAS to Tackle VVF

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Troops Intervene in Farm Destruction Incident in Plateau

Published

on

Troops Intervene in Farm Destruction Incident in Plateau

By: Zagazola Makama

Troops of Sector 3 of Operation Enduring Peace intervened in a reported case of farm destruction caused by cattle grazing in Bassa Local Government Area of Plateau State.

Security sources said the troops responded at about 1:30 p.m. on May 19 following a report that farmland belonging to one Bitrus Isah had been damaged by cattle allegedly owned by one Abdul Abu at Rigochongo village.

On arrival at the scene, the troops reportedly intercepted 49 cows and nine sheep grazing on the farmland without any herder present.

The livestock were secured to prevent further destruction and escalation of tension in the community.

Security sources said both parties involved were subsequently invited for amicable resolution of the dispute in order to maintain peace and prevent reprisal actions.

Authorities added that the intervention formed part of ongoing efforts to manage farmer-herder-related conflicts and sustain harmony across communities in Plateau State.

Troops Intervene in Farm Destruction Incident in Plateau

Continue Reading

News

Troops Foil Kidnapping Attempt, Rescue Injured Victim in Kaduna

Published

on

Troops Foil Kidnapping Attempt, Rescue Injured Victim in Kaduna

By: Zagazola Makama

Troops of Sector 7, Sub-Sector 71 of Operation Enduring Peace have foiled a kidnapping attempt along a highway in Sanga Local Government Area of Kaduna State.

Security sources told Zagazola that the incident occurred at about 12:15 a.m. on May 21 when troops deployed at Ungwan Gora checkpoint responded to distress information on suspected kidnappers operating along the road at Ungwan Dariya village.

The troops reportedly moved swiftly to the location, forcing the suspected kidnappers to abandon their mission and flee into surrounding areas.

During the operation, one victim was rescued with injuries sustained during the attack.

The victim was immediately evacuated to Confidence Hospital, Fadan Karshi, for medical treatment.

Security sources said efforts were ongoing to track and apprehend the fleeing suspects, while patrols had been intensified along the axis to prevent further incidents.

Troops Foil Kidnapping Attempt, Rescue Injured Victim in Kaduna

Continue Reading

News

Suspected Kidnap Collaborator Dies in Custody After Arrest in Nasarawa

Published

on

Suspected Kidnap Collaborator Dies in Custody After Arrest in Nasarawa

By: Zagazola Makama

A suspected collaborator of kidnappers has died after becoming unconscious while in military custody in Nasarawa State.

Security sources said troops of Sector 2 under Operation Whirl Stroke (OPWS) intercepted the suspect at about 7:00 a.m. on May 19 at Ancha community in Akwanga Local Government Area.

The suspect was reportedly apprehended at Anguwan Makama following allegations of involvement in activities linked to kidnapping operations in the area.

During preliminary interrogation, the suspect reportedly became unconscious.

He was immediately evacuated to Nunku Primary Health Care Centre for medical attention, where he was confirmed dead by health officials.

Sources added that the remains of the deceased were released to his family for burial in accordance with local customs.

Security authorities said further assessment would continue in line with standard procedures, while operations against kidnapping networks in the area remain ongoing.

Suspected Kidnap Collaborator Dies in Custody After Arrest in Nasarawa

Continue Reading

Trending

Verified by MonsterInsights