News
Northeast Crisis: US1.3 billion needed as humanitarian assistance for 6 million people – UN

Northeast Crisis: US1.3 billion needed as humanitarian assistance for 6 million people – UN
By: Our Reporter
The United Nations has said US$1.3 billion is needed this year to provide critical lifesaving assistance to 6 million people suffering from the devastating impact of the 13 year armed conflict in the Northeast.
It disclosed that this is an increase of 500,000 people from the 5.5 million people identified for assistance in 2022.
A statement on Thursday by the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs said “the 2023 Humanitarian Response Plan for north-east Nigeria launched today requests US$1.3 billion to provide critical lifesaving assistance to 6 million people suffering from the devastating impact of the continuing 13 year long non-international armed conflict. This is an increase of 500,000 people from the 5.5 million people identified for assistance in 2022.”
The United Nations Resident and Humanitarian Coordinator for Nigeria, Mr. Matthias Schmale, was quoted in the statement to have said: “The large-scale humanitarian and protection crisis shows no sign of abating,” revealing that: “An estimated 2.4 million people are in acute need – impacted by conflict, disaster and disease – and require urgent support.”
He lamented that some humanitarian needs of affected people are deepening and increasing, particularly those related to food insecurity and malnutrition, adding that approximately 4.4 million people are expected to face food insecurity in the 2023 lean season, up from 4.1 million in 2022, while insisting that without urgent action, 4,000 people in Bama, Borno State, are expected to be in ‘catastrophe’ (Phase 5) conditions, in which starvation, death, destitution and extremely critical acute malnutrition levels become prevalent.
According to the statement, the ticking time bomb of child malnutrition is escalating in Nigeria’s north-east, with the number of children suffering from acute malnutrition projected to increase to 2 million in 2023, up from 1.74 million in last year. The already high levels of severe acute malnutrition are projected to more than double, from 300,000 children affected last year to a projected 697,000 this year.
Schmale said: “Women and girls are the hardest hit,” stressing that: “Over 80 per cent of people in need of humanitarian assistance across Borno, Adamawa and Yobe states are women and children. They face increased risks of violence, abduction, rape and abuse.”
He noted that during conflict, children, girls, women and people with disabilities are the most affected groups of people. They require additional attention through enhanced access to protection and quality of basic health, nutrition, water, sanitation, hygiene and learning services.
The statement said two million people are displaced due to conflict and face daily threats to their health and safety. Sudden and unpredictable attacks on civilians and civilian infrastructure by non-state armed groups are continuing, and the recent closure of camps for internally displaced people are leading to new vulnerabilities. There are nearly two million returnees who lack essential services and livelihoods, and 4.8 million people in host communities or communities affected by the conflict.
Over a million people are estimated to be in extremely hard-to-reach areas where they are unable to get to basic services or receive assistance and humanitarian actors are unable to reach them.
The statement added that through the Humanitarian Response Plan, 120 operational partners will work in support of Government efforts to save lives, improve the quality of life, protect the most vulnerable and enable affected people to return to normalcy and live safely and with dignity. The plan, which is part of a two-year strategy for 2022-2023, prioritizes lifesaving needs while also working to reduce vulnerabilities through efforts to build resilience and enhance self-reliance.
In 2023, humanitarian partners will continue to monitor and respond to the significant humanitarian needs in other parts of Nigeria and strengthen complementarity in resource mobilisation, and linkages with ongoing prevention and development efforts, as demonstrated in 2022 in the response to the country’s worst floods in 10 years as well as the severe malnutrition crisis in the north-west.
Despite facing severe access and funding constraints, the humanitarian community reached 4.7 million people with assistance in 2022 through the generous support of donors. With the Humanitarian Response Plan, they have outlined a vision to assist 6 million people. Of the $1.3 billion required, $631 million will be urgently needed for an emergency response to the 2.4 million people in acute need.
Northeast Crisis: US1.3 billion needed as humanitarian assistance for 6 million people – UN
News
Russia Strengthens Strategic Ties with Sahel States Amid Geopolitical Shifts

Russia Strengthens Strategic Ties with Sahel States Amid Geopolitical Shifts
By: Zagazola Makama
Russia has reaffirmed its commitment to strengthening ties with Mali, Burkina Faso, and Niger, as Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov hosted his counterparts from the three Sahel states in Moscow. The high-level meeting signals deepening cooperation in security, economic development, and diplomatic coordination, amid shifting global alliances and the growing influence of the Alliance of Sahel States (AES).
The discussions, held in a quadrilateral format for the first time, focused on enhancing military collaboration, investment opportunities, and regional security strategies. Lavrov welcomed the delegation, emphasizing Russia’s support for the sovereignty of the three nations as they seek to assert independence in their policymaking and security frameworks.
“We appreciate the determination of your countries to build a new regional security architecture based on your own strengths while remaining open to mutually beneficial cooperation,” Lavrov said. He commended the “dynamic integration” efforts within the AES and highlighted ongoing projects in trade, finance, infrastructure, and human resource development.
The visit comes amid rising geopolitical tensions and the Sahel states’ increasing shift away from Western partnerships. Following military takeovers in Mali, Burkina Faso, and Niger, the three countries have strengthened ties with Russia, particularly in military cooperation and counterterrorism efforts. They have also distanced themselves from the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS), forming the AES as a regional bloc focused on collective security and economic cooperation.
Lavrov noted that Russia is ready to support the AES beyond bilateral engagements, stating that collaboration would extend to international platforms, including the Russia-Africa Forum. The next ministerial meeting of the forum is expected to take place in Africa later this year, ahead of the 2026 Russia-Africa Summit.
In his remarks, Mali’s Foreign Minister, Abdoulaye Diop, reaffirmed his country’s commitment to strengthening ties with Russia, underscoring the importance of strategic alliances in addressing security and development challenges.
The meeting marks a new phase in Russia’s engagement with Africa, particularly in regions seeking alternative partnerships. As the global political landscape evolves, the AES-Russia partnership is expected to influence security dynamics and economic cooperation in the Sahel and beyond.
Russia Strengthens Strategic Ties with Sahel States Amid Geopolitical Shifts
News
Man Killed in Accidental Shooting During Joint Security Operation in Adamawa

Man Killed in Accidental Shooting During Joint Security Operation in Adamawa
By: Zagazola Makama
A tragic incident occurred on April 3, 2025, during a joint security operation in Girei Local Government Area (LGA) of Adamawa State.
The operation, which involved personnel from the Police, Military, Department of State Security Services (DSS), and Nigerian Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC), aimed to raid criminal hideouts in the area.
Intelligence sources told Zagazola Makama that during the operation, one of the security personnel accidentally discharged their firearm, striking 21-year-old Bara Adamu of Wuro Bulama, Girei LGA.
The victim was immediately rushed to Specialist Hospital for medical attention but was sadly confirmed dead by the doctor on duty.
Man Killed in Accidental Shooting During Joint Security Operation in Adamawa
Crime
Armed Bandits Kill One in Attack on Commercial Vehicle in Sokoto

Armed Bandits Kill One in Attack on Commercial Vehicle in Sokoto
By: Zagazola Makama
On April 3, 2025, at approximately 1130 hours, a group of armed bandits riding motorcycles, opened fire on a commercial vehicle traveling from Kebbi to Sokoto.
The attack resulted in the death of one Dan Gande Usman, who was shot in the head. The victim succumbed to his injuries while being transported to the hospital.
In response to the attack, troops of Operation FANSAN YANMA were deployed to the area to ensure sanity.
Armed Bandits Kill One in Attack on Commercial Vehicle in Sokoto
-
News1 year ago
Roger Federer’s Shock as DNA Results Reveal Myla and Charlene Are Not His Biological Children
-
Opinions3 years ago
THE PLIGHT OF FARIDA
-
News1 year ago
EYN: Rev. Billi, Distortion of History, and The Living Tamarind Tree
-
Opinions3 years ago
POLICE CHARGE ROOMS, A MINTING PRESS
-
Columns1 year ago
Army University Biu: There is certain interest, but certainly not from Borno.
-
ACADEMICS1 year ago
A History of Biu” (2015) and The Lingering Bura-Pabir Question (1)
-
Opinions1 year ago
Tinubu,Shettima: The epidemic of economic, insecurity in Nigeria
-
Politics8 months ago
Kashim Shettima: Of Sentiments, Their Opinions, and the 21 billion Naira VP’s Official Resident