Connect with us

News

One year after Allawa’s fall, displaced residents cry for help as humanitarian crisis deepens in Niger

Published

on

One year after Allawa’s fall, displaced residents cry for help as humanitarian crisis deepens in Niger

By U.K. Umar

One year after armed attackers overran Allawa community in Shiroro Local Government Area of Niger State, a deepening humanitarian crisis continues to haunt the thousands of people who fled the invasion and now live in makeshift camps with no hope of return.

The silence that hangs over the once-thriving agrarian community of Allawa is not just physical, it is a silence of abandonment, neglect and despair.

Since the violent invasion of April 25, 2024, residents who escaped death have become Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs), living in overcrowded primary school buildings, market stalls and half-roofed compounds in neighbouring towns such as Kuta, Erena and Gwada.

Education has been disrupted. Food is uncertain. Healthcare is nearly non-existent. And worse, hope is fading.

At an abandoned block of classrooms now serving as a displacement shelter in Kuta, Zagazola Media Netowork, met Malam Musa Yakubu, a 47-year-old farmer and father of seven. He sat quietly under the shade of a neem tree, surrounded by three of his children, all barefooted and visibly malnourished.

“This place was once my children’s school. Now it is our home,” he said, forcing a smile. “We sleep on broken desks, on bare floor. During rainy nights, we cover ourselves with nylon bags. My wife cries often because she cannot feed our children.”

Malam Yakubu said he grew up in Allawa and owned over 15 hectares of farmland before the invasion. Today, he depends on handouts from well-wishers.

“The last time we received food aid was three months ago. Since then, we have been living on roasted yam and wild leaves. My children have not seen a classroom since we fled.”

Standing nearby was Amina Ibrahim, 16, who said she dropped out of Junior Secondary School following the attack. Now, she spends her days helping her mother hawk groundnuts in Kuta. I want to return to school,” she said quietly. “But how can I go to school when we have no home, no books, and no peace?”

‘My primary school is a ghost town’

For U.K. Umar, a former resident of Allawa and the writer of this report, the tragedy is personal.

“I attended Central Primary School in Allawa, which is now in ruins,” he recalled. “My childhood friends are now scattered across IDP camps. Some lost their parents. Some were taken by the attackers. We were not just displaced. We were forgotten.”

Umar said the displacement was not just the result of one attack, but a culmination of years of insecurity that was never addressed.

“What happened on April 25, 2024, was the final blow. Security agencies left, and armed groups moved in. What followed was a complete collapse of community life. Now, we are a forgotten people.”

Terror in the shadows

Reports from Shiroro LGA suggest that terror groups now control mining activities across several wards including Kurebe, Kwaki and Kushaka. Residents allegethat the attackers collect levies from artisanal gold miners up to N2 million per site every two weeks. Those who fail to comply are barred from mining, while others are punished.

“Their boys come during the day to collect fuel and money. At night, they disappear into the bush. They even settle disputes among locals. It is like a second government,” said a displaced youth who asked not to be named.

Just two weeks ago, five persons were reportedly abducted in Kwanta Yashi. Locals say they fear speaking out, as they are caught between hunger and violence.

‘Even water is a privilege’

In the Erena IDP settlement, Hajia Halima Abdullahi, 60, spoke through tears.

“I used to be a trader. I had goats and chickens. Now, I beg for drinking water. We fetch from a stream one hour away, and sometimes, we boil it. Other times, we drink it raw.”

She said many elderly displaced persons have developed hypertension and respiratory infections due to harsh conditions.

“There are no drugs. No doctors. Sometimes, we use herbs. Our children are falling sick every day.” It was also observed that the camps lack toilets, clean water, mosquito nets, and electricity. In some shelters, more than ten people sleep in one small room.

‘We feel abandoned’

There is growing frustration among displaced residents over what they describe as state government indifference.

“All we hear are promises. No concrete plan. No official has told us when we can return. It is as if our lives no longer matter,” said Ibrahim Zakari, a youth from Allawa now living in Gwada.

He appealed to the Niger State Government and the Federal Government to urgently intervene.
We are Nigerians too. We voted. We paid taxes. We built our homes and schools. Why have we been left to suffer?”

“You cannot keep over 20,000 displaced people in hopeless conditions for over a year and expect stability. Children are out of school. Teenage girls are being married off. Boys are joining vigilante groups. Trauma is spreading like wildfire,” he warned.

He called on the Federal Government to declare a humanitarian emergency in Shiroro LGA and mobilise the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA), as well as development partners, to scale up food, water, and shelter support.

“There must be a concrete, time-bound plan for resettlement. These people deserve to go home with safety, dignity, and support.”

Conclusion

One year after the fall of Allawa, the question remains: how long must a people wait?

As Niger State and the Federal Government grapple with rising insecurity, the forgotten people of Allawa continue to live in limbo displaced, distressed, and dangerously ignored.
Their pain is not history. It is ongoing. And unless urgent steps are taken, the crisis may deepen further.

“We have not died,” Malam Musa Yakubu said quietly. “But we are not living either.”

One year after Allawa’s fall, displaced residents cry for help as humanitarian crisis deepens in Niger

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Gowon: US, UK Arms Ban Forced Nigeria to Seek Soviet Support During Civil War

Published

on

Gowon: US, UK Arms Ban Forced Nigeria to Seek Soviet Support During Civil War

By: Our Reporter

Former Head of State, Yakubu Gowon, has revealed that the refusal of the United States and the United Kingdom to supply arms to Nigeria during the civil war forced his administration to seek military support from the Soviet Union and a Lebanese black market arms dealer.

According to Gowon, the unexpected alliances proved decisive in changing the course of the war, which lasted from July 1967 to January 1970.

The disclosure is contained in Chapter Fifteen of his 859 page autobiography, My Life of Duty and Allegiance, unveiled in Abuja on Tuesday. President Bola Tinubu was represented at the launch by Vice President Kashim Shettima.

In the chapter titled If The Devil’s Ready To Help, Gowon recounted the intense struggle his government faced in sourcing weapons as Nigeria’s ammunition reserves dwindled dangerously by late 1968. He revealed that the country’s stockpile had dropped to about half a million rounds for the entire Army, an amount he considered grossly inadequate for sustained military operations.

He explained that international restrictions on arms sales prevented Nigeria from replenishing its military supplies, despite the escalating demands of the conflict.

“As the weeks of fighting wore on, our stock of ammunition was steadily depleted, and we could not replenish them because international sales restrictions prevented suppliers from selling military hardware to Nigeria,” Gowon wrote.

The former military leader added that the shortage forced him to halt further military advances after the capture of Enugu, restricting federal troops to positions around Okigwe and Umuahia.

“Left with no choice, I ordered the Federal troops to hold their position because I could not, in clear conscience, commit them to further advance knowing that the ammunition to sustain the effort was in short supply,” he stated.

Gowon also expressed disappointment with the stance of Western powers, particularly at a time when the United States was heavily involved militarily in Vietnam and Cambodia.

He recalled holding what he described as one of the most significant meetings of the war with the British and American ambassadors, hoping to secure support for Nigeria’s military efforts.

“If I say I’m not disappointed, it will be an understatement,” he said while recounting the encounter.

Gowon noted that he reminded the diplomats of his responsibility to preserve Nigeria’s unity and protect all citizens and foreign nationals living in the country.

He further recalled telling them before their departure from the State House that he would seek assistance from anywhere necessary to defend the nation.

“I will go to any devil to get what I need to deal with the problem and do my duty to my country,” he said.

According to Gowon, both ambassadors left the meeting without making any commitment, but by then, he had already resolved to pursue alternative sources of military support.

Gowon: US, UK Arms Ban Forced Nigeria to Seek Soviet Support During Civil War

Continue Reading

News

Community Court of Justice, ECOWAS Holds Second Moot Court Competition in Dakar

Published

on

Community Court of Justice, ECOWAS Holds Second Moot Court Competition in Dakar

By: Michael Mike

The Community Court of Justice, ECOWAS is hosting the second edition of its annual Moot Court Competition in Dakar, bringing together law students, academics and legal practitioners from across West Africa in a regional initiative aimed at strengthening legal education and deepening understanding of Community law.

The three-day competition, scheduled for May 20 to 22, 2026, is part of the Court’s broader drive to promote awareness of its jurisdiction and jurisprudence while equipping the next generation of lawyers with practical advocacy, research and analytical skills.

Organised under the theme, “Today’s Students, Tomorrow’s Jurists,” the competition is expected to provide participants with hands-on exposure to simulated legal proceedings, enabling them to bridge the gap between classroom learning and real-world legal practice.

This year’s edition will feature eight universities from francophone ECOWAS member states, including Benin, Côte d’Ivoire, Guinea, Senegal and Togo, while students from a university in Cape Verde will participate as observers. Each institution will field a team made up of two students and a faculty adviser.

The competition is structured in two phases — written and oral. During the written stage, participating teams prepare memorials for both the applicant and respondent based on a hypothetical legal dispute rooted in issues falling within the jurisdiction of the ECOWAS Court. The top-performing teams from the written assessments advance to the oral rounds.

The oral phase in Dakar will feature preliminary and semi-final rounds before designated panels, culminating in a grand finale where the two best teams will argue before a distinguished panel of judges. The event will end with an awards and closing ceremony recognising outstanding teams and participants, while a cultural tour is scheduled for May 23.

The maiden edition of the competition, held in Abuja in 2025, attracted participation from 13 Nigerian universities at the memorial stage, with eight advancing to the oral rounds. Ahmadu Bello University emerged overall winner of the inaugural edition.

Senior government officials from Senegal, members of the Senegalese judiciary and bar association, academics, media representatives, partner organisations and invited guests are expected to attend this year’s competition alongside judges and staff of the ECOWAS Court.

The Court said the initiative reflects its continued commitment to promoting legal excellence, strengthening access to justice and advancing human rights within the West African sub-region.

According to the Court, the programme is also designed to foster stronger institutional ties between the judiciary and academic institutions while nurturing a new generation of lawyers with deeper knowledge of Community law and regional integration mechanisms.

Community Court of Justice, ECOWAS Holds Second Moot Court Competition in Dakar

Continue Reading

News

Nigeria Unveils Net Zero Investment Plan to Unlock Climate Finance, Drive Green Growth

Published

on

Nigeria Unveils Net Zero Investment Plan to Unlock Climate Finance, Drive Green Growth

By: Michael Mike

The Federal Government of Nigeria has launched an ambitious Net Zero Investment Plan (NZIP), a major policy framework designed to mobilise climate finance, accelerate sustainable economic growth, and strengthen the country’s pathway to net zero emissions by 2060.

The plan, unveiled in Abuja by the National Council on Climate Change, represents a significant step in Nigeria’s efforts to translate its climate commitments into concrete investment opportunities capable of attracting both domestic and international financing.

Developed under the NDC Partnership’s “Global Call for NDCs 3.0 and LT-LEDS,” the framework received technical support from Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH and funding from the German Federal Ministry for the Environment, Climate Action, Nature Conservation and Nuclear Safety through the International Climate Initiative.

The NZIP is expected to serve as a strategic roadmap for implementing Nigeria’s long-term climate agenda by identifying priority sectors for investment, outlining financing needs, and proposing mechanisms to bridge existing climate finance gaps.

Government officials said the initiative aligns with Nigeria’s broader economic transformation agenda and reinforces the country’s aspiration to emerge as a leading climate-responsive economy in Africa in line with the African Union Agenda 2063.

The investment framework builds on key national policies, including the Nigeria Agenda 2050, the Nationally Determined Contributions (NDCs), and the Long-Term Low-Emission Development Strategy (LT-LEDS), all of which provide the policy backbone for Nigeria’s transition toward sustainable and climate-resilient growth.

Under the LT-LEDS framework, Nigeria targets net zero greenhouse gas emissions by 2060, while the NDCs outline short- and medium-term actions under the Paris Agreement.

Speaking at the launch, Country Director of GIZ, Markus Wagner, described the NZIP as a critical instrument for transforming climate goals into bankable projects capable of attracting large-scale investment.

According to him, the framework goes beyond policy declarations by providing a structured mechanism for mobilising public and private capital toward climate resilience, low-carbon industrialisation, and sustainable economic development.

Wagner noted that achieving net zero emissions would require strong collaboration among government institutions, development partners, financial organisations, and the private sector.

He said the plan demonstrates Nigeria’s determination to align climate action with economic development priorities while creating opportunities for innovation, green jobs, and long-term sustainable growth across strategic sectors of the economy.

Analysts say the launch of the NZIP could improve investor confidence in Nigeria’s green economy ambitions and position the country to access increasing pools of global climate finance targeted at low-carbon and climate-resilient development initiatives.

Nigeria Unveils Net Zero Investment Plan to Unlock Climate Finance, Drive Green Growth

Continue Reading

Trending

Verified by MonsterInsights