Connect with us

Uncategorized

PRESIDENT TINUBU TO TRIPARTITE NATIONAL MINIMUM WAGE C’TTEE:’Be Guided By Social Justice, Equity, Ensure Timely Completion Of Task’

Published

on

PRESIDENT TINUBU TO TRIPARTITE NATIONAL MINIMUM WAGE C’TTEE:
‘Be Guided By Social Justice, Equity, Ensure Timely Completion Of Task’

*Says governors, ministers must attend committee meetings or send their representatives

By: Our Reporter

President Bola Ahmed Tinubu on Tuesday inaugurated the Tripartite National Minimum Wage Committee, with a directive to its members to ensure their decisions are firmly rooted in social justice and equity.

In order to guarantee sustainability in all tiers of government, the President said the committee must pay attention to the ability of all parties to pay the new wage, just as he asked the committee members to ensure timely completion of of their assignment.

The President, who was represented by his deputy, Vice President Kashim Shettima, stated this while inaugurating the tripartite committee at the Council Chambers of the Presidential Villa, Abuja.

“Our objective should be to surpass the basic Social Protection Floor for all Nigerian workers, considering the sustainable payment capacity of each tier of government and other employers or businesses.

“I express this viewpoint because the minimum wage represents the least amount of compensation an employee should receive for their labor, and as such, it should be rooted in social justice and equity. I hope that the results of your deliberations will be consensual and acceptable to all parties involved,” the President told members of the committee.

President Tinubu reaffirmed his administration’s promise to improve the welfare of Nigerian workers and, by extension, the entire nation, saying “the labour force stands as the cornerstone of the progress of every nation, and ours has been the enduring engine of our pursuit of development.”

Underscoring the significance of the assignment as reflected in the composition of the tripartite committee, the President urged all members to take their new task with all seriousness, even as he directed the committee to employ the principles of full consultation with social partners in all of its deliberations.

Accordingly, he directed that state Governors, Ministers and the Head of the Civil Service of the Federation who are members must personally attend the committee meetings, and in the event where they are unavoidably absent, their deputies, commissioners and Permanent Secretaries should represent them.

“Recognizing the significance of this initiative and to ensure a substantial engagement, I hereby direct that Ministers and the Head of the Civil Service of the Federation should personally attend the meeting. In their unavoidable absence, their Permanent Secretaries should represent them.

“Similarly, Governors are expected to attend in person or be represented by their deputies or commissioners where necessary. I urge you to consider the issue of a National Minimum Wage and all related matters with thoroughness and concern, keeping in mind not only the welfare of our workforce but also the impact on the country’s economy,” Tinubu stated.

On the prompt completion of their assignment, President Tinubu noted that “timely submission is crucial to initiate the necessary processes for implementing a new National Minimum Wage.”

He further stressed that “government’s decision, following the consideration of your final recommendation, will be presented as an Executive Bill to the National Assembly.

“This bill, enriched by the contributions of state governments and private sector employers, will undergo thorough legislative scrutiny before being passed into law,” he added.

Earlier in his opening remarks, Secretary to Government of the Federation, Sen. George Akume, urged the committee to give its best, noting that the task before it carries the hopes and aspirations of millions of Nigerian workers.

He said the inauguration of the committee to come up with a new national minimum wage is in fulfilment of the promise of the Tinubu administration to embark on a comprehensive review of the minimum wage for the average Nigerian worker.

On his part, Chairman of the Tripartite Committee, Alhaji Bukar Goni Aji, assured the President that the committee will do justice to the task assigned to it.

“We shall, by God’s grace, carry out extensive consultations with key stakeholders to arrive at a new minimum wage that is fair, practical and implementable,” Aji, a former Head of Service of the Federation, noted.

The 37-man tripartite committee has six Governors, some cabinet Ministers, representatives of the organised labour and the private sector among its members.

The Governors include Mohammed Bago of Niger State, representing the North Central; Bala Mohammed of Bauchi State, representing the North East; Dikko Radda of Katsina State, representing the North West; Charles Soludo of Anambra State, representing the South East; Ademola Adeleke of Osun State, representing the South-West, and Otu Bassey of Cross River State, representing the South-South.

The Ministers are Minister of Finance and Coordinating Minister of the Economy, Wale Edun; Minister of Budget and Economic Planning, Atiku Bagudu; the Head of the Civil Service of the Federation, Dr. (Mrs) Yemi Esan, and the Minister of State for Labour and Employment, Nkeiruka Onyejeocha.

PRESIDENT TINUBU TO TRIPARTITE NATIONAL MINIMUM WAGE C’TTEE:
‘Be Guided By Social Justice, Equity, Ensure Timely Completion Of Task’

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Uncategorized

Transborder criminal financier arrested, apprehended in Kano with ₦15.28 million recovered

Published

on

Transborder criminal financier arrested, apprehended in Kano with ₦15.28 million recovered

By: Zagazola Makama

The Nigerian Police Operatives of the Scorpion Squad have arrested a suspected transborder criminal financier, Alhaji Jazuli Adamu, 40, in Fagge Local Government Area, Kano State, following actionable digital intelligence and confessions from previously arrested armed robbery suspects.

Zagazola Makama gathered that Jazuli Adamu was identified as the financial facilitator for Alhaji Abdulkarim Ibrahim (a.k.a. Gabeida) from Niger Republic, who allegedly armed criminal youths to carry out car-snatching operations targeting SUVs and Hilux vehicles across Nigeria.

It was gathered that funds from the robbery operations were reportedly transferred to Jazuli Adamu’s account for disbursement to the armed robbers, while the stolen vehicles were transported to Niger Republic.

Upon arrest, the police recovered ₦15,280,000 (fifteen million, two hundred and eighty thousand naira) from Jazuli Adamu, which was transferred to him by Alhaji Karim for distribution to the criminals.

Investigators noted that Jazuli operates a mini Bureau de Change (BDC) in Kano, and preliminary checks of his digital communications revealed transaction records and payment receipts amounting to billions of naira between him and Abdulkarim Ibrahim.

The sources said that suspects who had received payment for stolen vehicles via Jazuli are currently in custody undergoing interrogation, while investigations into the syndicate remain ongoing.

Transborder criminal financier arrested, apprehended in Kano with ₦15.28 million recovered

Continue Reading

Uncategorized

Two injured after stray bullet from custom officer hits passengers in Oyo/Osun border

Published

on

Two injured after stray bullet from custom officer hits passengers in Oyo/Osun border

By: Zagazola Makama

Two passengers were injured on November 27 after being struck by a stray bullet fired by a custom officer while traveling along the Oyo/Osun border.

Eyewitnesses said Aderoju Jamiu and his brother, Amuda Kabir, were returning from Ago-Are Market in Okaka town in a Toyota pickup vehicle loaded with cattle when the custom officer on routine duty fired his AK-47 at the vehicle.

The bullet penetrated the windscreen and struck two Fulani passengers in the back of the vehicle, identified as Musa Sule and Idris Lawal.

The injured were rushed to the General Hospital in Okaka, where they are receiving treatment and responding to care.

The officer involved has been identified, disarmed, and taken into custody as investigations continue.

Two injured after stray bullet from custom officer hits passengers in Oyo/Osun border

Continue Reading

Uncategorized

Troops neutralise Lakurawa bandit, recover motorcycles in Kebbi

Published

on

Troops neutralise Lakurawa bandit, recover motorcycles in Kebbi

By: Zagazola Makama

Troops of Operation FANSAN YANMA in collaboration with the police and other auxiliaries have neutralised a suspected member of the notorious Lakurawa bandit faction during an engagement in Malam Yaro village, Dandi Local Government Area of Kebbi State.

Security sources told Zagazola Makama that the incident occurred at about 5:26 a.m. on Tuesday when armed bandits attempted a surprise incursion into the community.

The attackers were said to have advanced toward the village with the intent to intimidate residents and reassert their presence along the Kebbi border corridor.

The troops were immediately deployed to the area, where they established contact with the armed group.

“During the fierce exchange of fire, one of the bandits was neutralised while several others fled with gunshot wounds along the western axis,” the source said.

Zagazola learnt that two operational motorcycles belonging to the fleeing assailants were recovered at the scene.

Troops neutralise Lakurawa bandit, recover motorcycles in Kebbi

Continue Reading

Trending

Verified by MonsterInsights