News
Scores of fighters killed as ISWAP, Boko Haram clash in Borno
Scores of fighters killed as ISWAP, Boko Haram clash in Borno
By: Zagazola Makama
Scores of fighters from the Jam’at Ahl as-Sunnah lid-Da’wah wa’l-Jihd, Boko Haram, and the Islamic State of West African Province (ISWAP), terrorists, were killed during an infighting in the north-east of Borno State.
It was gathered that the bloody encounter took place at DUJI village in Mobbar in Damasak Local Government of Borno State, just 5 kilometers from Diffa region in the Niger Republic, on November 9, 2023.
Intelligence sources told Zagazola Makama, a counter-insurgency expert and security analyst in the Lake Chad region, that the Bakoura Buduma-led faction of Boko Haram terrorists, armed with heavy weapons, was the first to launch a surprise attack on the rival extremist group in its hideouts.
Prior to the encounter, the Bakoura faction had captured one ISWAP fighter who escaped from their prison but was captured along the way by the Budouma clan camp.
He was later forced to accompany the fighters to the ISWAP hideouts. In the heavy gun battle that ensued, which lasted for more than two hours, the Boko Haram faction overpowered the ISWAP group and killed scores of them, while they (Boko Haram) lost one fighter on their side.
Meanwhile, the Nigerian Army troops of 68 Battalion in Malam Fatori had naturalized a commander of ISWAP (Qa’id) Abu Hisham after it unleashed a barrage of artillery fire, targeting the ISWAP position at Baulayi in Abadam LGA.
Scores of fighters killed as ISWAP, Boko Haram clash in Borno
News
Tinubu Sweeps Zulum’s Ward with 100% Votes in APC Presidential Primary
Tinubu Sweeps Zulum’s Ward with 100% Votes in APC Presidential Primary
By: Michael Mike
President Bola Ahmed Tinubu recorded a landslide victory in the All Progressives Congress (APC) presidential primary election in Mafa Ward of Borno State, securing all valid votes cast in the exercise held in the home ward of Governor Babagana Umara Zulum.
The direct primary election took place at Mafa Central Primary School under the supervision of the Chairperson of the Presidential Primary Election Committee, Hajiya Inna Alkali Imam.
According to the results announced at the ward level, Tinubu polled 2,175 votes, representing 100 per cent of the valid votes cast during the exercise. Out of the 2,277 registered APC members in the ward, 2,175 were accredited and participated in the voting process.
Tinubu’s challenger, Stanley Osifo, an APC chieftain and businessman from Edo State, failed to secure any vote in the ward.
Governor Zulum, who served as the Coordinator and Collation Officer for the presidential primary in the state, said he participated in the exercise as an indigene of Mafa Ward.
“I am from Mafa Ward, and that is why I am here to witness and participate in the exercise. We have two candidates, President Bola Ahmed Tinubu and Mr Stanley Osifo,” Zulum stated.
The governor also commended the peaceful conduct of the exercise and the turnout of party members.
“So far so good, we have conducted the presidential primary election for Mafa Ward, and I am very impressed with the turnout. We have a total of about 2,277 registered party members in Mafa Ward, out of which 2,175 were accredited for the voting, and all of them voted for President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, while the other candidate scored zero,” he said.
The APC presidential primary is ongoing in several states across the country, with the party expected to collate and announce final nationwide results at a later date.
Tinubu Sweeps Zulum’s Ward with 100% Votes in APC Presidential Primary
News
I Remember At Age Of 8,General Gowon Would Send Hand Written Letter To Yusuf Signed Uncle Joe-Sanusi
I Remember At Age Of 8,General Gowon Would Send Hand Written Letter To Yusuf Signed Uncle Joe-Sanusi
By: Our Reporter
The 16th Emir of Kano, Muhammadu Sanusi II, has recounted a touching childhood memory about former Nigerian Head of State Yakubu Gowon, portraying him as a compassionate leader who extended personal support to the family of a military officer killed during the 1966 coup.
Speaking during an interview on Signature TV, Sanusi reflected on his early years at St Anne’s Secondary School in Kaduna, where he attended school alongside Yusuf Pam, the son of the late Colonel Joseph Pam, one of the victims of the January 1966 Nigerian coup.
The former governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria recalled that despite the demands of national leadership, Gowon took a personal interest in the wellbeing of Yusuf following the loss of his father. According to Sanusi, the former Head of State frequently sent handwritten letters to the young boy, signing them “Uncle Joe.”
“What I remember at the age of eight was that General Gowon, as Head of State, would send a handwritten letter to Yusuf signed ‘Uncle Joe.’ That is a window into the person you are dealing with,” Sanusi said.
The Emir noted that the gesture has remained vivid in his memory over the years because it revealed a caring and humane side of leadership during one of the most turbulent periods in Nigeria’s history. He suggested that Gowon’s actions reflected empathy and a sense of responsibility toward families affected by the political upheaval of the time.
Colonel Pam was among several prominent figures who lost their lives during the 1966 coup, a pivotal event that reshaped Nigeria’s political landscape and contributed to years of instability and conflict that followed.
I Remember At Age Of 8,General Gowon Would Send Hand Written Letter To Yusuf Signed Uncle Joe-Sanusi
News
Troops Rescue Kidnapped Woman in Katsina Community
Troops Rescue Kidnapped Woman in Katsina Community
By: Zagazola Makama
Troops of 17 Brigade deployed at Yantumaki in Danmusa Local Government Area of Katsina State have rescued a 30-year-old woman abducted by suspected terrorists during an early morning attack on the community.
Security sources said the troops responded swiftly after hearing gunshots from the outskirts of the town in the early hours of May 21.
According to the sources, the soldiers immediately mobilised to the area where frightened residents informed them that the terrorists had abducted a woman identified as Mrs Abida Rufai and escaped into the surrounding bush.
The troops were said to have trailed the attackers along their withdrawal route and subsequently engaged them in a gun duel.
Overpowered by the troops’ superior firepower, the terrorists reportedly abandoned the victim and fled into the bush.
Mrs Rufai was thereafter rescued unharmed and safely reunited with her family amid relief and excitement from members of the community.
Military authorities said troops have continued aggressive patrols and domination operations within the general area to forestall further attacks and reassure residents of their safety.
Troops Rescue Kidnapped Woman in Katsina Community
-
News2 years agoRoger Federer’s Shock as DNA Results Reveal Myla and Charlene Are Not His Biological Children
-
Opinions4 years agoTHE PLIGHT OF FARIDA
-
News1 year agoFAILED COUP IN BURKINA FASO: HOW TRAORÉ NARROWLY ESCAPED ASSASSINATION PLOT AMID FOREIGN INTERFERENCE CLAIMS
-
News2 years agoEYN: Rev. Billi, Distortion of History, and The Living Tamarind Tree
-
Opinions4 years agoPOLICE CHARGE ROOMS, A MINTING PRESS
-
ACADEMICS2 years agoA History of Biu” (2015) and The Lingering Bura-Pabir Question (1)
-
Columns2 years agoArmy University Biu: There is certain interest, but certainly not from Borno.
-
Politics12 months ago2027: Why Hon. Midala Balami Must Go, as Youths in Hawul and Asikira/Uba Federal Constituency Reject ₦500,000 as Sallah Gift
