News
Shettima To NEC: Burden Of Nigerians Is On Our Shoulders
Shettima To NEC: Burden Of Nigerians Is On Our Shoulders
*Council sets up committees on Economic Affairs, Crude Oil Theft & Management
By: Our Reporter
Vice President Kashim Shettima has charged members of the National Economic Council (NEC) to shelve the idea of vacation in the yuletide and carry on with issues of governance to ease the burden of Nigerians hanging on their shoulders.
He charged the Council members to be alive to the demands of Nigerians noting that , “as the year draws to a close, none of us in this chamber should anticipate a vacation. I tend to think so because upon our shoulders rests the weight of responsibilities from which we cannot escape. We are returning to be judged by the promises we made to be here.”
Speaking on Thursday during the 138th meeting of NEC which held virtually, the VP said his principal, President Ahmed Bola Tinubu, GCFR, has shown that the challenges inherited by his administration are surmountable, and has offered visionary leadership and presented a coherent development plan to assist in the country’s pursuit of order, abundance, and stability.
“Each of us owes their constituents the scorecard of their stewardship in these few months of translating ideas into tangible actions. That’s why we can’t afford to fail, and the new year must be, for us, a timeout to reflect on how we have fared so far and what we must do differently to keep the hope of the nation alive,” the Vice President stated.
Apparently keen about getting results of the government’s ongoing reforms in good time, the VP stressed the need for the citizens to feel the positive impact of fuel subsidy removal and forex unification, noting that high inflation and cost of living are global challenges that have affected the economies of all countries.
Shettima said they should be considered as enough “inspiration for us to come together and tackle ours through realistic interventions”.
Meanwhile, following deliberations on critical economic matters and assessments of potential short-term, medium and long-term strategies for addressing pressing economic issues, NEC set up the committees on Economic Affairs, as well as the committee on Crude Oil Theft And Management.
Both committees are to be headed by Kwara State Governor, Alh AbdulRahman AbdulRazak, and his Imo State counterpart, Senator Hope Uzodimma, respectively.
The Economic Matters committee to be chaired by Kwara State Governor, AbdulRazaq AbdulRahman, is saddled with the task of preparing a clear roadmap for dealing with petroleum subsidy, including a framework for defending wage negotiations, exchange rate management and fiscal consolidation sustainability, liquidity management and inflation, medium term investment and growth, fiscal transparency and accountability, as well as state of emergency on food production for 2024.
Members of the committee include the Gombe State Governor, representing North East; Governor of Lagos (South West); the Governor of Akwa Ibom (South-South); the Governor of Anambra (South East); the Governor of Niger (North Central), and Governor of Kaduna (North West).
Rukaiya El-Rufai, Special Adviser to the President on NEC and Climate Change is to serve as Secretary.
The second committee on Crude Oil Theft and Management, an existing NEC committee, has been reconstituted with Governor Hope Uzodimma of Imo State as the chairman.
Other members are the Governor of Ogun State representing South West; the Governor of Plateau State (North Central); the Governor of Rivers (South-South) Governor of Borno (North East); Governor of Jigawa State (North West); the Governor of Abia State (South East); Minister of Budget and Economic Planning; Minister of Finance and Coordinating Minister of the Economy; CBN Governor; GCEO of NNPCL, NDDC Chairman, and Service Chiefs.
The Secretariat will be domiciled at the Ministry of Budget and Economic Planning and the Special Adviser to the President on Economic Matters, Dr Tope Fasua will serve on the committee.
Council also received an update on account balances as at 31st October 2023. The Excess Crude Account as at 31st October, 2023 stood at $473,754.57, while the Stabilization Account was N32,063,186,474.96 during the same period. Development Of Natural Resources Account as at 31st October 2023 stood at N156,770,745,529.74.
Shettima To NEC: Burden Of Nigerians Is On Our Shoulders
News
Less than 24 hours after triple killing, another Fulani youth slain in fresh Plateau attack by Berom Militia
Less than 24 hours after triple killing, another Fulani youth slain in fresh Plateau attack by Berom Militia
By: Zagazola Makama
Less than 24 hours after three Fulani youths were reportedly killed in an attack in Plateau state, another youth has allegedly been killed and one abducted in targeted attack in Riyom LGA by Birom Militia.
Security and local informants told Zagazola Makama that the latest incident occurred on Feb. 21 in Jol community, where suspected Birom militia members attacked herders, killing one Muhammed Sani, while another victim, identified as Faruq Jamilu, was abducted. An unspecified number of cattle were also reportedly killed or injured during the assault.

The development came barely a day after three youths Tahiru Muhammad, Jibrin Salisu and Abdulmumin Isyak were said to have been ambushed and killed on Feb. 19 while returning from Dorowan Babuje in Barkin Ladi area.
Zagazola report that the earlier attack occurred at about 7:00 p.m. near Jong Fulani community. Sources alleged that the victims were intercepted by armed Birom Militia assailants, and security personnel later recovered spent cartridges and a motorcycle and a bottle of alcohol otherwise known as Goskolo at the scene.
Community representatives alleged that the succession of incidents reflected sustained pattern of attacks targeting pastoral settlements and livestock in parts of the state in recent months.
Zagazola report that repeated cases of attacks and killing, cattle poisoning, rustling and arson had heightened tensions and triggered fears of reprisals across the affected areas while the state government and concerned authorities have done little or nothing to fish out the perpetrators.
Less than 24 hours after triple killing, another Fulani youth slain in fresh Plateau attack by Berom Militia
News
Former CP David Danjuma Auta dies at Air Force Military Hospital, Jos
Former CP David Danjuma Auta dies at Air Force Military Hospital, Jos
By: Zagazola Makama
A retired Commissioner of Police, CP David Danjuma Auta (Rtd), JP, KSM, KSS, has died.
He passed away on Feb. 19, 2026, at the Air Force Military Hospital, Jos, after a brief illness.
Born on June 11, 1941, CP Auta enlisted in the Nigeria Police Force on Feb. 26, 1962, and served in several capacities, culminating as Commissioner of Police in Ogun State before retiring on Feb. 26, 1997.
He hailed from Takum Local Government Area of Taraba State.
He is survived by his wife and seven children. The corpse has been deposited at the hospital morgue, and burial arrangements will be communicated in due course.
Former CP David Danjuma Auta dies at Air Force Military Hospital, Jos
News
Five killed, house burnt in cross-border communal attack in Benue
Five killed, house burnt in cross-border communal attack in Benue
By: Zagazola Makama
Five persons have been killed and a house razed following a late-night attack on Azoke village in Ado Local Government Area of Benue.
Sources said the incident occurred at about 9:00 p.m. on Feb. 19 when suspected assailants from Akparata community in Ohaukwu Local Government Area of Ebonyi allegedly invaded the village.
The victims were identified as Nwefuru Elu, Nwefuru Agnes, Nwali Nworie Christianana, Obasi Nwode and Nwozo Nwode.
It was gathered that the attackers also set ablaze a house belonging to one Elumu Nwokwo during the assault, heightening tension in the area.
Security personnel who responded to a distress alert visited the scene and documented evidence as part of preliminary investigation.
Authorities said efforts were ongoing to apprehend those responsible, while further investigation had commenced to determine the circumstances surrounding the incident.
Residents were urged to remain calm and cooperate with security agencies as measures were being intensified to prevent escalation of violence in the area.
Five killed, house burnt in cross-border communal attack in Benue
-
News2 years agoRoger Federer’s Shock as DNA Results Reveal Myla and Charlene Are Not His Biological Children
-
Opinions4 years agoTHE PLIGHT OF FARIDA
-
News10 months agoFAILED COUP IN BURKINA FASO: HOW TRAORÉ NARROWLY ESCAPED ASSASSINATION PLOT AMID FOREIGN INTERFERENCE CLAIMS
-
News2 years agoEYN: Rev. Billi, Distortion of History, and The Living Tamarind Tree
-
Opinions4 years agoPOLICE CHARGE ROOMS, A MINTING PRESS
-
ACADEMICS2 years agoA History of Biu” (2015) and The Lingering Bura-Pabir Question (1)
-
Columns2 years agoArmy University Biu: There is certain interest, but certainly not from Borno.
-
Opinions2 years agoTinubu,Shettima: The epidemic of economic, insecurity in Nigeria
