Military
Ukraine to call for heavy arms when top U.S. officials visit Kyiv
Ukraine to call for heavy arms when top U.S. officials visit Kyiv
U.S. Secretary of State, Antony Blinken, and Defence Secretary, Lloyd Austin, were set to visit Kyiv on Sunday to discuss Ukraine’s call for more powerful weapons, two months after Russia’s invasion began.
The trip, announced by Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy on Saturday, would be the highest-level by U.S. officials since Russian tanks rolled into Ukraine on Feb. 24.
The White House has not confirmed any visit by Blinken and Austin.
The State Department and Pentagon declined to comment.
As Christians in Ukraine marked Orthodox Easter on Sunday, there was no end in sight to a war that has killed thousands of people, uprooted millions more and reduced cities to rubble.
“I pray that this horror in Ukraine ends soon and we can return home,’’ said Nataliya Krasnopolskaia, who fled to Prague from Odesa last month, one of the more than five million Ukrainians estimated to have escaped the country.
Serhiy Gaidai, governor of the eastern Luhansk region, said Easter celebrations had been shattered by the conflict.
READ ALSO: Drogba Fails In Bid For Ivorian Football Federation Presidency
He said that seven churches in his region had been “mutilated by Russian artillery”.
Reuters could not independently verify his report.
Pope Francis called for an Easter truce: “Stop the attacks in order to help the exhausted population. Stop,’’ he said.
Zelenskiy said in an Easter video message from Kyiv’s 1,000-year-old Saint Sophia Cathedral that Ukraine would not be defeated by “wickedness” and prayed that God returns happiness to children and brings solace to grieving mothers.
He had earlier said talks with his U.S. visitors would cover the “powerful and heavy weapons” Ukraine needed to retake territory and the pace of deliveries.
The U.S. and NATO allies have shown growing readiness to supply heavier equipment and more advanced weapons systems.
Britain has promised to send military vehicles and said it was considering supplying British tanks to Poland to free up Warsaw’s Russian-designed T-72s for Ukraine.
Moscow, which describes its actions in Ukraine as a “special military operation”, denies targeting civilians and rejects what Ukraine says is evidence of atrocities, saying Kyiv staged them to undermine peace talks.
Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan said after talks by phone with Zelenskiy that Ankara was ready to assist in negotiations with Russia.
Zelenskiy said he discussed with Erdogan the need for the immediate evacuation of civilians from the southern city of Mariupol and an exchange of troops.
Russian forces are attempting to storm the Azovstal steel works in Mariupol by land, backed up by aerial and artillery bombardment, Ukrainian Presidential Adviser, Oleksiy Arestovych, said on Sunday.
“Russian troops are trying to finish off the defenders of Azovstal and more than 1,000 civilians who are hiding at the plant,’’ Arestovych wrote on Facebook.
He said on Saturday that troops in the steel complex were attempting counterattacks.
Moscow has previously declared victory in the city and said it did not need to take the plant.
Capturing Mariupol, the site of biggest battle of the conflict, would link up pro-Russian separatists who control parts of the eastern regions of Donetsk and Luhansk that make up the Donbas with the Southern Black Sea peninsula of Crimea, which Moscow seized in 2014.
Ukraine estimates tens of thousands of civilians have been killed in Mariupol and says 100,000 civilians are still in the city.
The UN and Red Cross say the civilian toll is at least in the thousands.
Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew, the spiritual head of Eastern Orthodox Christians worldwide, called for humanitarian corridors in Mariupol and other areas of Ukraine, where he said “an indescribable human tragedy is unfolding’’.
The governor of Donetsk, Pavlo Kyrylenko, said two children were killed by shelling in his area on Sunday.
Ukraine said its forces repulsed 12 attacks on Donetsk and Luhansk a day earlier, destroying four tanks, 15 armoured equipment units and five artillery systems.
Reuters could not independently confirm the reports.
British military intelligence said Ukrainian resistance had been strong, especially in Donbas, despite some Russian gains.
“Poor Russian morale and limited time to reconstitute, re-equip and reorganise forces from prior offensives are likely hindering Russian combat effectiveness,’’ it said.
Russia said on Sunday its missiles hit eight military targets overnight, including four arms depots in the northeast Kharkiv region and one facility in the Dnipropetrovsk region producing explosives for the Ukrainian army.
Russian strikes on Saturday severed an arterial gas pipeline and caused a fire at an electricity substation, cutting gas supply to 5,500 people, Serhiy Gaidai, the governor of Luhansk region wrote on Telegram on Sunday.
Moscow said on Saturday its missiles destroyed a logistics terminal in the southern city of Odesa containing weapons supplied by the U.S. and European states.
Zelenskiy said eight people, including a 3-month-old child, were killed in the Odesa strike.
(Reuters/NAN)
Military
Troops Foil Mob Action Against Customs Officer in Katsina after reckless shooting of local
Troops Foil Mob Action Against Customs Officer in Katsina after reckless shooting of local
By: Zagazola Makama
Troops of 17 Brigade deployed at the Forward Operating Base in Mashi Local Government Area of Katsina State have foiled an attempted mob action against a personnel of the Nigeria Customs Service following a violent altercation at a border community.

Security sources said the incident occurred on May 21 at Birnin Kuka Community in Mashi Local Government Area after troops received a distress call from residents reporting that an officer of the Nigeria Customs Service, identified as Inspector Lawal NM, was under attack by angry youths.
According to the sources, the mob accused the Customs officer of shooting a local resident identified as Sadiku Kata during an altercation between the two individuals.

Troops, in collaboration with police personnel, immediately mobilised to the scene to prevent a breakdown of law and order.
On sighting the approaching security team, the irate youths reportedly abandoned the Customs officer and fled the area.
However, before the arrival of the combined security team, the mob had already set ablaze a Peugeot 406 vehicle belonging to the Customs personnel.
The officer was subsequently rescued and evacuated from the scene by security operatives.
Security officials noted that the swift intervention by troops and police personnel prevented the situation from escalating further and possibly saved the officer from being lynched by the mob.
Following the incident, security forces conducted patrols within the community and surrounding areas to restore calm and prevent further violence.
Troops Foil Mob Action Against Customs Officer in Katsina after reckless shooting of local
Military
Power Minister-Designate Clarifies Promise on Fixing Nigeria’s Grid in Three Months
Power Minister-Designate Clarifies Promise on Fixing Nigeria’s Grid in Three Months
By: Michael Mike
The camp of Nigeria’s Minister-designate for Power, Olasunkanmi Tegbe, has dismissed media reports claiming he promised to fix the country’s troubled national power grid within three months, describing the reports as inaccurate and misleading.
In a statement issued on Thursday by his spokesperson, Adeola Adelabu, the minister-designate clarified that no such commitment was made during his Senate screening on May 6, 2026.
According to the statement, Tegbe had clearly explained that timelines for major reforms in the power sector were still being developed and would depend on technical diagnostics as well as consultations with key stakeholders.
The clarification followed widespread reports suggesting that the minister-designate pledged to completely resolve Nigeria’s persistent electricity grid problems within a three-month period.
The statement stressed that while Tegbe assured lawmakers that initial efforts aimed at stabilising the national grid would begin within his first 100 days in office, he also acknowledged that deeper structural reforms in the sector could take significantly longer.
It quoted the minister-designate as saying that reforms relating to sector credibility, gas supply, metering and operational efficiency may require about one year to achieve meaningful progress.
“My promise to this chamber and to Nigeria is that Nigerians will see visible improvement in the sector,” Tegbe reportedly told senators during the screening.
He further pledged to stabilise the national grid, modernise electricity infrastructure, strengthen commercial frameworks within the sector and enforce accountability across the entire power value chain.
On electricity tariff reforms, Tegbe reportedly assured that vulnerable households would be protected while government works to balance affordability, sector sustainability, investor confidence and operational efficiency.
The statement also emphasised that the minister-designate remains open to constructive engagement with the media and encouraged journalists to seek clarification where necessary in order to avoid misinformation.
According to the spokesperson, Tegbe views the media as critical partners in nation building and in helping Nigerians understand the scope and direction of the proposed reforms in the power sector.
Nigeria’s electricity sector has continued to face major challenges, including repeated national grid collapses, inadequate generation capacity, weak transmission infrastructure, gas supply constraints, poor metering and mounting debts across the value chain.
The minister-designate’s clarification comes amid heightened public expectations over the ability of the administration of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu to address the country’s longstanding electricity crisis and improve power supply to homes and businesses.
Power Minister-Designate Clarifies Promise on Fixing Nigeria’s Grid in Three Months
Military
Troops Intensify Farming Support Patrols to Boost Socio-Economic Recovery in Borno Communities
Troops Intensify Farming Support Patrols to Boost Socio-Economic Recovery in Borno Communities
By: Zagazola Makama
Nigerian Army troops in the North-East of Bama have intensified farming support patrols aimed at strengthening socio-economic recovery in liberated communities, with security escorts now routinely provided to farmers and rural traders across vulnerable routes in Borno State.
Brig. Gen. Tosin Ayoola, the Commander of the 21 Special Armour Brigade, Bama disclosed this during an engagement with journalists in Bama, noting that the initiative forms part of broader non-kinetic operations designed to restore livelihoods and encourage sustainable return of displaced populations to farming activities.

He said troops under Operation Hadin Kai p continued to provide protection for farmers, herders, and rural workers engaged in seasonal agricultural activities, especially during peak farming periods when movement into distant farmlands increases.
“We provide escorts for farmers, for those going to fetch firewood, and for people engaged in agricultural activities,” he said, adding that the patrols are designed to reduce exposure to security threats while enabling uninterrupted economic activity.
According to him, the farming support operations are conducted in collaboration with volunteer forces, community-based security groups, and other supporting agencies operating within the theatre.

He explained that the joint arrangement has improved coverage of rural farming routes and strengthened early response to security incidents affecting agricultural communities.
The officer further noted that coordination with the police and the Department of State Services (DSS) has enhanced intelligence sharing, allowing security agencies to better anticipate risks along farmlands, feeder roads, and rural markets.

He said the presence of security escorts has encouraged more displaced persons to return to farming, particularly in areas previously affected by insurgency, where agricultural activity is gradually resuming.
“In many communities, farming activities are picking up again, and we are ensuring that farmers can access their fields safely,” he said.
He added that troops have also supported local economic recovery by securing rural road corridors used for transporting farm produce to markets within and outside Bama axis.
The officer stressed that stabilisation efforts are not limited to kinetic operations, noting that non-kinetic measures such as farming patrols, medical outreach, and community engagement remain central to restoring normal life in affected areas.
He said military-medical teams continue to support rural communities with basic healthcare services, particularly for elderly residents and vulnerable groups with limited access to medical facilities.
The commander Commanded the General Officer Commanding 7 Division of the Nigerian Army, Brig Gen. Ukechukuw Unachukwu, Theartre Commander North East Joint Task Force Operation HADIN KAI, Maj Gen Abdulsalam Abubakar and the Chief of Army Staff, Lt Gen. Waidi Shaibu for their unwavering support for the brigade which had translated into resounding successes.
He reaffirmed the commitment of the Brigade to sustaining such initiatives, describing them as essential to consolidating peace gains and rebuilding confidence among returning communities.
He urged residents to continue cooperating with security agencies by sharing timely information that would support ongoing patrols and safeguard agricultural activities across the theatre.
Troops Intensify Farming Support Patrols to Boost Socio-Economic Recovery in Borno Communities
-
News2 years agoRoger Federer’s Shock as DNA Results Reveal Myla and Charlene Are Not His Biological Children
-
Opinions4 years agoTHE PLIGHT OF FARIDA
-
News1 year agoFAILED COUP IN BURKINA FASO: HOW TRAORÉ NARROWLY ESCAPED ASSASSINATION PLOT AMID FOREIGN INTERFERENCE CLAIMS
-
News2 years agoEYN: Rev. Billi, Distortion of History, and The Living Tamarind Tree
-
Opinions4 years agoPOLICE CHARGE ROOMS, A MINTING PRESS
-
ACADEMICS2 years agoA History of Biu” (2015) and The Lingering Bura-Pabir Question (1)
-
Columns2 years agoArmy University Biu: There is certain interest, but certainly not from Borno.
-
Politics12 months ago2027: Why Hon. Midala Balami Must Go, as Youths in Hawul and Asikira/Uba Federal Constituency Reject ₦500,000 as Sallah Gift
