International
Ukraine’s interior minister among 18 dead in helicopter crash

Ukraine’s interior minister among 18 dead in helicopter crash
Ukrainian officials said 18 people including Ukraine’s interior minister, other senior ministry officials and three children died on Wednesday morning when a helicopter crashed near a nursery outside Kyiv.
The regional governor said 29 people were also hurt, including 15 children, when the helicopter came down in a residential area in Brovary, on the capital’s northeastern outskirts.
Media reports that several dead bodies draped in foil blankets lay in a courtyard near the damaged nursery. Emergency workers were at the scene. Debris was scattered over a playground.
National police chief Ihor Klymenko said Interior Minister Denys Monastyrskyi had been killed alongside his first deputy, Yevheniy Yenin, and other officials in a helicopter belonging to the state emergency service.
Kyiv region governor Oleksiy Kuleba wrote on Telegram that “there were children and staff in the nursery at the time of this tragedy.”
Officials did not give an immediate explanation of the cause of the helicopter crash.
There was no immediate comment from Russia, whose troops invaded Ukraine last February, and Ukrainian officials made no reference to any Russian attack in the area at the time.
Monastyrskyi, responsible for the police and security inside Ukraine, would be the most senior Ukrainian official to die since the war began.
Separately, Ukraine reported intense fighting overnight in the east of the country, where both sides have taken huge losses for little gain in intense trench warfare over the last two months.
However, the Ukrainian military said Ukrainian forces repelled attacks in the eastern city of Bakhmut and the village of Klishchiivka just south of it.
Russia has focused on Bakhmut in recent weeks, claiming last week to have taken the mining town of Soledar on its northern outskirts.
After major Ukrainian gains in the second half of 2022, the frontlines have hardened over the last two months.
Kyiv said it hopes new Western weapons would allow it to resume an offensive to recapture land, especially heavy tanks which would give its troops mobility and protection to push through Russian lines.
Western allies will be gathering on Friday at a U.S. air base in Germany to pledge more weapons for Ukraine.
Attention was focused in particular on Germany, which has veto power over any decision to send its Leopard tanks, which are fielded by armies across Europe and widely seen as the most suitable for Ukraine.
Berlin says a decision on the tanks will be the first item on the agenda of Boris Pistorius, its new defence minister.
Britain, which broke the Western taboo on sending main battle tanks over the weekend by promising a squadron of its Challengers, has called on Germany to approve the Leopards.
Poland and Finland have already said they would be ready to send Leopards if Berlin allows it.
Ukraine’s interior minister among 18 dead in helicopter crash
International
UK Expresses Commitment to Restoration of Peace in Northeast

UK Expresses Commitment to Restoration of Peace in Northeast
By: Michael Mike
The United Kingdom has expressed its commitment to the restoration of peace, stability and sustainable solutions to the troubled Northeast region which has been bedeviled by insurgency.
The British Deputy High Commissioner, Gill Atkinson made the commitment on Monday when she paid a courtesy call on Borno State Governor Babagana Zulum in Maiduguri.
Atkinson who commended Zulum for his commitment to fighting insurgency in Borno, said: “On behalf of the British Government, I recognise the effort of His Excellency, the Governor, in tackling insurgency and supporting the people of Borno State, particularly aiming to secure a prosperous future for the people displaced by insurgency.

“I want to reaffirm the UK’s commitment to supporting peace, stability and sustainable solutions, particularly through the ongoing regional stabilisation facility.”
Responding, the Secretary to Borno State Government who received the Deputy High Commissioner on behalf of Governor Zulum, expressed appreciation to the UK Government for their partnership and support.
He said,: “With the UK Government to start with, we have quite a number of very strong partnerships. His Excellency appreciates it, and he specifically instructed me to convey the special message of appreciation.”
The meeting was attended by the Commissioner for Environment, Engr Emet Kois, Education, Engr Lawan Abba Wakilbe, Work and Housing, Engr Mustapha Gubio, Transport and Energy, Aliyu Mohammed Bamanga and Inter-Governmental and Special Duties, Tukur Shani.
Others in attendance include Special Adviser on Security to the Governor, Abdullahi Ishaq, the Senior Technical Assistant, Political, to the Governor, Alhaji Tahiru Shettima, Permanent Secretary of political and cabinet, Danjuma Ali, and the Executive Secretary of Borno State Agency for Coordination of Sustainable Development and Humanitarian Response (BOACSDHR), Babakura Mamman Gadai.
UK Expresses Commitment to Restoration of Peace in Northeast
Crime
Troops Foil Bandit Attack in Dabai Town, Kebbi

Troops Foil Bandit Attack in Dabai Town, Kebbi
By: Zagazola Makama
A swift response by the Nigerian troops in Kebbi has foiled a bandit attack on Dabai Town, forcing the assailants to flee after a gun battle with security operatives.
Intelligence sources told Zagazola Makama that the attack occurred around 2 a.m. when suspected bandits attempted to invade the town.
“Security forces were immediately dispatched to intercept the assailants and engaged them in a fierce exchange of gunfire,” the source said. “Overwhelmed by superior firepower, the bandits abandoned their mission and escaped.”
While no casualties were reported, security operatives have intensified patrols in the area to prevent further attacks.
Troops Foil Bandit Attack in Dabai Town, Kebbi
International
U.S. Condemns Killing of Catholic Priest in Kaduna

U.S. Condemns Killing of Catholic Priest in Kaduna
By: Zagazola Makama
The United States Mission in Nigeria has condemned the brutal killing of Reverend Father Sylvester Okechukwu in Kaduna State, describing it as a senseless act of violence.
In a statement posted on its official X (formerly Twitter) account, the U.S. Mission expressed deep distress over the incident and extended condolences to the family, congregation, and community of the late cleric.
“We strongly condemn this horrific act of violence. Our thoughts are with them during this time of profound grief,” the statement read.
The mission also called on Nigerian authorities to ensure that those responsible are brought to justice.
Father Okechukwu’s killing has sparked outrage and renewed calls for enhanced security measures, especially in regions affected by banditry and violent attacks.
The Kaduna State Police Command has yet to issue an official statement on the incident, but security agencies are reportedly investigating the circumstances surrounding his death.
U.S. Condemns Killing of Catholic Priest in Kaduna
-
News1 year ago
Roger Federer’s Shock as DNA Results Reveal Myla and Charlene Are Not His Biological Children
-
Opinions3 years ago
THE PLIGHT OF FARIDA
-
News1 year ago
EYN: Rev. Billi, Distortion of History, and The Living Tamarind Tree
-
Opinions3 years ago
POLICE CHARGE ROOMS, A MINTING PRESS
-
Columns1 year ago
Army University Biu: There is certain interest, but certainly not from Borno.
-
ACADEMICS1 year ago
A History of Biu” (2015) and The Lingering Bura-Pabir Question (1)
-
Opinions1 year ago
Tinubu,Shettima: The epidemic of economic, insecurity in Nigeria
-
Politics8 months ago
Kashim Shettima: Of Sentiments, Their Opinions, and the 21 billion Naira VP’s Official Resident