Connect with us

Uncategorized

VP Shettima Attributes Nigeria’s New Growth Trajectory To President Tinubu’s Bold Leadership, Policies

Published

on

VP Shettima Attributes Nigeria’s New Growth Trajectory To President Tinubu’s Bold Leadership, Policies

** As Nigeria-Brazil Strategic Dialogue to resume after decade-long break

By: Our Reporter

Ahead of the forthcoming Nigeria-Brazil Strategic Dialogue Mechanism, Vice President Kashim Shettima has said due to President Bola Ahmed Tinubu’s bold, courageous leadership and well-thought-out policies, Nigeria is now on a new growth trajectory, ready for investments across different sectors.

This is just as Brazil’s Vice President, Geraldo Alckmin, is set to lead a delegation of top executives in the country’s public and private sectors on a state visit to Nigeria for the second session of the Brazil-Nigeria Mechanism for Strategic Dialogue, after over a decade-long break.

Speaking on Tuesday during an update meeting with relevant ministers and heads of agencies at the Presidential Villa, Vice President Shettima noted that “in President Bola Tinubu, we have a leader who has shown that dexterity, that audacity to hope for a better tomorrow.”

Senator Shettima expressed satisfaction with the firm grasp of the real issues by ministers in the key sectors targeted for deliberations during the Nigeria-Brazil Strategic Dialogue Mechanism slated for the later part of the year.

He called on all the key actors on the Nigerian side to make adequate preparations for the meeting, noting that there has to be some clarity, strategic coherence and a deep understanding of issues that will be tabled for discussion.

He said, “I want to urge all Ministers involved in this Nigeria-Brazil strategic dialogue to take charge of the initiative of the discussions so that we can take it to the next level, let’s walk the talk. Please, drive the process, engage with the different strategic focus groups to give you weekly updates to prepare us for the visit of the Brazilian Vice President and his delegation.

“The most important thing at this moment is for us to actualize the dreams of our nation’s development. We have the resources and institutional knowledge to make this work for our country.”

On the similarities between Nigeria and Brazil, the Vice President stressed the need to leverage the huge opportunities inherent in the partnership between both countries to actualize Nigeria’s vision across agriculture, culture and tourism, livestock production and military technology, among others.

Earlier in his speech, the Minister of Agriculture and Food Security, Abubakar Kyari, said the dialogue presents a renewed opportunity for Nigeria to revitalise the nation’s agricultural sector to attain the food sovereign goals of the administration.

“On behalf of the agriculture sector, it is time for us to walk the talk. It is a good day for Nigeria because agriculture will play a major role in the partnership. We have an opportunity to catch up with the rest of the world and be on our way to food sovereignty,” the Minister said.

Minister of Art, Culture, Tourism and Creative Economy, Hannatu Musawa spoke on the cultural significance of the partnership, saying, “There is a huge population in Brazil of Nigerian descent who have a lot of interest in Nigeria.

“What we have done in the Ministry is to engage Brazil actively in working together. Already, we have an MoU, but we want to expand that beyond cultural diplomacy. Brazilians have a lot of interest in tapping into our creative industry,” she added.

The Minister hinted on plans to rebuild the Nigerian House in Brazil as well as host an annual Orisha Festival soon.

On defence cooperation, Minister of Defence, Muhammad Badaru, stated: “All is set for signing of a defence agreement with Brazil. We are also engaging with them on defence industry development to start production centres in Nigeria.”

Also, Coordinating Minister of Health and Social Welfare, Mohammed Ali Pate, highlighted healthcare opportunities that dialogue presents to Nigeria, noting that the platform is an important relationship for Nigeria.

He said, “Brazil is able to produce almost everything they need, including pharmaceuticals and vaccines. We are keen on turning things around and with the efforts of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, we are unlocking the healthcare value chain. Manufacturing vaccines, diagnostics and pharmaceuticals is on the agenda, but it’s a very long journey and we are determined to walk through it.”

Also, Technical Assistant to the President on Agriculture (Office of the Vice President), Ms. Marion Moon, said, “Brazil’s agricultural expertise—from their successful cropland expansion to their global leadership in key commodities—offers invaluable insights for our development. The upcoming $1.1 billion Green Imperative Project exemplifies the depth of our relationship and its potential to revolutionize Nigerian agriculture through modernization and technology transfer.”

She explained that the Strategic Dialogue will be preceded by a Trade and Investment Forum coinciding with the anticipated visit of Brazil’s Vice President and Minister of Development, Industry, Trade, and Services, H.E. Geraldo Alckmin.

Others who spoke at the meeting included the Minister of Livestock Development, Alhaji Idi Mukhtar Maiha, and a representative of the Minister of State for the Environment, Balarabe Lawal, among many others.

VP Shettima Attributes Nigeria’s New Growth Trajectory To President Tinubu’s Bold Leadership, Policies

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Uncategorized

Hidden Wounds Across Borders: Thousands of Women in Nigeria, Somalia Suffer in Silence as Obstetric Fistula Crisis Deepens

Published

on

Hidden Wounds Across Borders: Thousands of Women in Nigeria, Somalia Suffer in Silence as Obstetric Fistula Crisis Deepens

By: Michael Mike

Thousands of women in Nigeria and Somalia are battling one of the world’s most devastating childbirth injuries — obstetric fistula — amid poverty, weak healthcare systems, insecurity and limited access to emergency maternal care, according to humanitarian medical workers.

A statement on Friday by Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF), stated that from northern Nigeria to southwestern Somalia, women who survived prolonged and obstructed labour are now living with chronic pain, incontinence, stigma and social isolation after losing control of their bladder or bowel following traumatic childbirth complications.

At Jahun General Hospital in northern Nigeria and Bay Regional Hospital in Somalia, according to the statement, teams from Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) and local health authorities are struggling to provide life-changing reconstructive surgery and rehabilitation services to affected women whose lives have been shattered by the condition.

For many of the patients, the injury came after days of labour without access to emergency caesarean sections or skilled medical care — a reality that continues to endanger women in fragile and conflict-affected regions.

The statement said Aisha (not her real name), a young Nigerian woman from Yobe State, arrived at Jahun General Hospital emotionally broken after losing her baby during childbirth and suffering severe internal injuries that left her incontinent.

On the other side of the continent, Hodan (equally not her real name), a Somali woman married off as a teenager, endured eight years of silence and humiliation after a prolonged labour during her first pregnancy left her with the same condition.

“I did not know there was treatment,” Hodan said after finally reaching the fistula unit in Baidoa.

According to MSF, obstetric fistula occurs when prolonged obstructed labour damages tissues between the birth canal and the bladder or rectum, leaving women leaking urine or stool continuously. In about 90 per cent of cases, the baby does not survive.

Medical experts said the condition is closely linked to child marriage, teenage pregnancy, malnutrition, female genital mutilation and the collapse or absence of emergency obstetric services.

In both Nigeria and Somalia, those risk factors are compounded by insecurity, displacement, poor transportation and overstretched health systems, forcing many women to attempt childbirth at home or in poorly equipped facilities.

Dr. Raphael Kananga said many patients arrive at hospitals only after suffering irreversible injuries.

“Most of the women who reach us have already given birth somewhere else or tried to, often at home, and often after several days of labour,” he said.

“By the time they arrive at our hospital, they have already sustained an injury, often with additional infections and complications. Surgical repair is possible, but this should have been prevented from happening in the first place.”

The 55-bed fistula ward at Jahun General Hospital has become a critical lifeline for women across northern Nigeria. Since its establishment in 2008, more than 6,000 reconstructive surgeries have been carried out there.

In 2025 alone, 295 women were admitted, while 224 underwent surgery. Between January and March 2026, another 64 women were admitted, with 48 already receiving surgical treatment.

Care at the facility includes free surgery, physiotherapy, psychological counselling, nutrition support and long-term rehabilitation, with many patients spending up to three months recovering.

Aisha, who has already undergone two surgeries and is awaiting a third procedure, said meeting other survivors gave her hope.

“At first, I thought I would never be cured,” she said. “Then I came here and saw other women with the same condition. I realised I was not alone.”

In Somalia, the fistula unit at Bay Regional Hospital, opened in 2025 with support from MSF and Somalia’s Ministry of Health, remains one of the few specialised centres in the country capable of handling such cases.

Since its launch, only 38 women have received treatment there, even though several thousand more are estimated to require urgent care nationwide.

Frida Athanassiadis said many women live with fistula for years before learning that treatment exists.

“Fistula care is not only about surgery,” she said. “It is about listening, counselling, and helping women rebuild their confidence.”

Healthcare workers warn that demand for fistula care in both countries far exceeds available capacity.

Jahun General Hospital remains the only facility in Jigawa State capable of performing vesicovaginal fistula reconstructive surgery, while Bay Regional Hospital is the only specialised centre in Somalia’s Southwest State.

Humanitarian organisations said the persistence of obstetric fistula reflects deeper failures in maternal healthcare systems across parts of Africa, where preventable childbirth complications continue to claim lives and destroy futures.

Medical experts insisted that fistula is entirely preventable through proper antenatal care, access to trained midwives, timely referrals and emergency caesarean sections before prolonged labour causes permanent tissue damage.

MSF and health officials are now calling for urgent investments in maternal and newborn healthcare services, including skilled birth attendance, emergency obstetric care and expanded fistula treatment programmes for women already living with the condition.

For survivors like Aisha and Hodan, however, the struggle goes beyond physical healing — it is also about reclaiming dignity after years of pain, silence and exclusion.

Hidden Wounds Across Borders: Thousands of Women in Nigeria, Somalia Suffer in Silence as Obstetric Fistula Crisis Deepens

Continue Reading

Uncategorized

Female Family Member of ISWAP/JAS Terrorists Surrenders in Bama

Published

on

Female Family Member of ISWAP/JAS Terrorists Surrenders in Bama

By: Zagazola Makama

A female family member linked to suspected ISWAP terrorists has surrendered to troops operating in Bama Local Government Area of Borno State.

Sources disclosed that the woman surrendered at about 10:08 a.m. on May 19 to troops of the 81 Division Task Force Battalion operating within Sector 1 Area of Responsibility.

The female surrenderer reportedly came out from Gargash village in Bama LGA and voluntarily presented herself to the troops.

Military sources said she was subsequently profiled and documented in line with existing procedures for further necessary action.

The surrender is the latest in a series of defections involving insurgents and their family members in the North-East, following sustained military offensives and clearance operations targeting terrorist enclaves across the region.

Security sources said ongoing counterterrorism operations had continued to exert pressure on insurgent groups operating within the Lake Chad Basin and Sambisa forest areas, leading to increasing cases of surrender by fighters and their relatives.

The military has maintained that surrendered individuals are subjected to profiling, intelligence gathering and other procedures in accordance with extant operational guidelines.

Female Family Member of ISWAP/JAS Terrorists Surrenders in Bama

Continue Reading

Uncategorized

Troops Arrest 10 Illegal Miners in Abuja Raid

Published

on

Troops Arrest 10 Illegal Miners in Abuja Raid

By: Zagazola Makama

Troops of 176 Guards Battalion have arrested 10 suspected illegal miners during a raid on an illegal mining site in Gwagwalada Area Council of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT).

Security sources said the operation was conducted at about 3:07 p.m. on May 20 as part of ongoing Operation MESA efforts aimed at curbing illegal mining and related criminal activities within the FCT and adjoining areas.

The troops reportedly stormed the illegal mining site following intelligence reports on the activities of suspected illegal miners operating in the area.

During the raid, the troops apprehended 10 suspects believed to be involved in illegal mining activities.

Items recovered from the site included one motorcycle, 15 mining mats, four head pans and several other mining implements used by the suspects.

The suspects are currently undergoing profiling and preliminary investigation for further necessary action.

Security sources said the operation formed part of intensified efforts by security agencies to clamp down on illegal mining activities, which authorities say contribute to environmental degradation, economic sabotage and insecurity in parts of the country.

The sources added that surveillance and enforcement operations would continue across identified illegal mining locations within the FCT and neighbouring states.

Troops Arrest 10 Illegal Miners in Abuja Raid

Continue Reading

Trending

Verified by MonsterInsights