News
WFP Calls for Public/Private Collaboration to Tackle Hunger in Nigeria

WFP Calls for Public/Private Collaboration to Tackle Hunger in Nigeria
By: Michael Mike
The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) has advised public and private sector leaders to work together to tackle the root causes of hunger and build peace in Nigeria,
This advice was given by the Executive Director of the UN agency, Cindy McCain
while concluding a visit to Nigeria, stressed that there was urgent need for this step to be taken amidst rising food insecurity and malnutrition in Nigeria,
A statement by the WFP made available to our correspondent on Monday, said despite its huge agricultural potential, Nigeria is now in the grips a widespread humanitarian crisis driven by poverty, recurring conflicts, and climate shocks – with 32 million people struggling to feed themselves.
The statement said during McCain’s five-day visit to Nigeria, she witnessed firsthand how conflict, climate shocks, and high food and fuel prices are driving millions into acute hunger and malnutrition.
The statement quoted McCain to have said: “What I have seen and heard during my visit to Damasak, in Borno State, is deeply disturbing. An urgent humanitarian crisis is unfolding in northern Nigeria, as the number of children with acute malnutrition soars and the ongoing conflict prevents millions from returning to their homes and lands,” adding that: “People there desperately need peace and stability, so farming and food production can restart and this hunger crisis can be halted in its tracks.”
According to the statement, the prolonged humanitarian crisis – worsened by an economic slowdown, high inflation, rising food prices, and the recent floods – is endangering the lives of children, pregnant women and girls, and entire communities. Over 3.6 million people in northeastern and northwestern states have been forcibly displaced by conflict and are not able to access their farmlands or engage in other economic activities. With devastating flooding hitting Maiduguri in September – described as the worst in 30 years – more than 400,000 people have also been temporarily displaced in and around the city.
The statement further said malnutrition is rising, with nine million children at risk of acute malnutrition in the country. The number of children admitted for severe and moderate acute malnutrition has risen by 40 and 70 percent compared to 2023.
It said WFP is on the ground, supporting government-led efforts responding to the most urgent needs, and doing all it can. So far this year, WFP has assisted 1.6 million people affected by the ongoing humanitarian crisis, distributing 32,000 metric tons of food and US$40 million in cash entitlements, decrying that the scale of the crisis calls for a response that goes beyond these badly-needed humanitarian interventions.
The statement said while in Abuja and Lagos, McCain engaged with senior government and private sector leaders, creative industries, international financial institutions, the United Nations, and donor representatives to explore African-led solutions, and discuss the role of the private sector and entrepreneurship in addressing food insecurity and youth employment.
It said McCain noted that “WFP’s commitment to delivering lifesaving assistance and tackling the root causes of hunger in Nigeria is stronger than ever. By mobilizing funding, technology, and ambitious new partnerships between the private and public sectors, we can support rural livelihoods, strengthen food systems and offer sustainable solutions to food insecurity that empower local communities,”
It admitted that Nigeria – West Africa’s most populous and largest economy – has the potential to play an outsize role in stabilizing the region and helping to ensure sustainable food security and nutrition for millions, provided the country receives the attention commensurate with its strategic importance.
The statement revealed that WFP is working with the Government of Nigeria and the International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) on a ground-breaking food systems programme that will help communities escape the cycle of conflict by building the resilient, inclusive and effective food systems they need to achieve self-reliance.
Through the “Out of Conflict, into Solutions” food systems strategy, WFP will seek to address post-harvest losses, limited access to agricultural inputs, poor dietary diversity and limited access to food in Nigeria.
It further said: “Agriculture is a cornerstone of Nigeria’s economy – providing employment to more than a third of the labor force – up to 80 percent in rural areas. The private sector is one of the key contributors to developing extensive supply chains, including production, processing, manufacturing and distributions.”
It however explained that WFP needs US$228 million to stave off catastrophe in northeast Nigeria and meet the food and nutrition needs of 1.6 million over the next six months.
WFP Calls for Public/Private Collaboration to Tackle Hunger in Nigeria
Crime
Six Arrested as Farmers, Herders Clash in Adamawa

Six Arrested as Farmers, Herders Clash in Adamawa
By: Zagazola Makama
The Adamawa State Police Command has arrested six suspects following a clash between farmers and herders in Waduku, Lamurde Local Government Area, which resulted in injuries to a villager and 11 cattle.
Sources told Zagazola Makama that the incident occurred around 4:30 p.m. on April 2 when some herders allegedly trespassed into a rice farm and caused damage to the crops.
In retaliation, angry youths from the village attacked the herders, injuring their cattle and wounding one person identified as Righteous Boti from Nzumoso Village.
Security personnel visited the scene and held an emergency meeting with local stakeholders to prevent further escalation of violence.
The arrested suspects include Rabo Buba, 31; Ahmadu Adamu, 20; Stephen Pwagwadi, 17; Shadrach Simon, 19; Lot Gad, 20; and Righteous Boti, 27.
The injured individuals received treatment at the Tingno Primary Health Care Clinic and have since been discharged.
Six Arrested as Farmers, Herders Clash in Adamawa
News
Suspected Thief Dies After Being Beaten by Man O’ War officer, in FCT

Suspected Thief Dies After Being Beaten by Man O’ War officer, in FCT
By: Zagazola Makama
A suspected thief in the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) has died after being beaten by a security officer following his apprehension on April 2.
A Police sources said that a distress call was received at Karu Division about a suspected thief seen around Supreme Quarters in Karu at approximately 1:00 p.m.
The suspect was approached by security personnel who believed him to be involved in theft. When questioned, the suspect attempted to flee but was quickly chased and apprehended by civilian security personnel.
Kola Oba, a Man O’ War officer, then reportedly took the suspect into custody and subjected him to severe physical abuse. The suspect later succumbed to the injuries sustained during the beating and passed away.
The sources said that the Police detectives were dispatched to the scene, and photographs were taken. The body was subsequently transported to the hospital mortuary for preservation.
The suspect’s identity remains unknown, and efforts are underway to locate his family. The officer involved has been arrested.
Suspected Thief Dies After Being Beaten by Man O’ War officer, in FCT
News
Sokoto: Man Arrested for Killing Woman in Domestic Dispute

Sokoto: Man Arrested for Killing Woman in Domestic Dispute
By: Zagazola Makama
A domestic dispute in Sagera Ango Village, Gada LGA, turned deadly on April 2, 2025, when Ali Garba, during a heated argument with A’isha Araga, attacked her with a cutlass.
The altercation, which escalated quickly, resulted in Ali Garba inflicting severe injuries on A’isha’s neck and other parts of her body.
Security personnel, responded promptly to the scene and rushed A’isha to General Hospital Gada for medical treatment. However, she succumbed to her injuries while receiving care.
Ali Garba was immediately apprehended by the police and is in custody.
The case has been handed over to the Deputy Commissioner of Police, Criminal Investigation Department (DC CID), for further discreet investigation.
Sokoto: Man Arrested for Killing Woman in Domestic Dispute
-
News1 year ago
Roger Federer’s Shock as DNA Results Reveal Myla and Charlene Are Not His Biological Children
-
Opinions3 years ago
THE PLIGHT OF FARIDA
-
News1 year ago
EYN: Rev. Billi, Distortion of History, and The Living Tamarind Tree
-
Opinions3 years ago
POLICE CHARGE ROOMS, A MINTING PRESS
-
Columns1 year ago
Army University Biu: There is certain interest, but certainly not from Borno.
-
ACADEMICS1 year ago
A History of Biu” (2015) and The Lingering Bura-Pabir Question (1)
-
Opinions1 year ago
Tinubu,Shettima: The epidemic of economic, insecurity in Nigeria
-
Politics8 months ago
Kashim Shettima: Of Sentiments, Their Opinions, and the 21 billion Naira VP’s Official Resident