News
Yobe reconstructs schools destroyed by Boko Haram
Yobe reconstructs schools destroyed by Boko Haram
By: Yahaya Wakili
The Yobe State government has reconstructed schools destroyed by the insurgency and established more to create a conducive atmosphere for teaching and learning.
Governor Mai Mala Buni disclosed this today at the closing ceremony of the 38th edition of the National Our’anic Recitation Competition at the August 27 stadium in Damaturu.
He revealed that this administration has carefully cultivated a culture of resilience, tolerance, and peaceful coexistence among the people, adding that, at a time when the Quranic recitation was taking place among the Muslim faithful, the Christian community was holding a unity carol for Christmas with participants drawn from the six states of the Northeast sub-region.
“We have a duty and a moral responsibility to put aside our differences and extend the necessary support, cooperation, and prayers for His Excellency President Bola Ahmed Tinubu in his determination to improve the economy, security, and other challenges facing the country for the betterment of Nigerians,” Buni said.
“It amounts to a huge contradiction for citizens of a country to pray against their leaders and wish them failures, and yet expect their lives to improve. There is an absolute need for attitudinal change for Nigeria to move forward.
Governor Mai Mala Buni maintained that Nigerians should, irrespective of their religious, ethnic, cultural, and political backgrounds, pray for President Bola Ahmed Tinubu GCFR and all other leaders to succeed in piloting the affairs of the country.
According to him, the success of the president is the success of Nigeria and Nigerians; it is a national success. If the president succeeds, it will translate into a better life for Nigerians, and his failure would equally negatively reflect on the lives of the citizenry.
“This Quranic recitation competition has provided our people, especially the youth, with the opportunity to recite the Holy Qur’an correctly, and it has also served us with the advantage of spreading the correct recitation of the Holy Qur’an to our Islammiyya and Tsangaya schools at a time when we are integrating these schools into our education program.
“We have produced and distributed 115,000 copies of the Holy Quran to institutions, libraries, and Tsangaya schools, among others, to promote authentic learning, teaching, and memorization of the holy book.”
The gwarzon shekara from the female are Zainab Aliyu Mohammed from Kano State, who scored 85.4%.
While the overall gwarzon shekara from the male is Ibrahim Mohammed Nasir from Bauchi State, who scored 82.7% and all they were turbaning.
Yobe reconstructs schools destroyed by Boko Haram
News
Several Killed, 45 Fulani Shelters Destroyed, Crops Razed In Targeted attack by suspected Mwaghavul miltia in Plateau Community
Several Killed, 45 Fulani Shelters Destroyed, Crops Razed In Targeted attack by suspected Mwaghavul miltia in Plateau Community
By Zagazola Makama
Troops of Operation Enduring peace have intensified security operations in Jwak Maitumbi community of Mangu Local Government Area of Plateau State following the killing of several fulani residents and destruction of about 45 Fulani residential shelters and large quantities of crops by suspected Mwaghavul militia.
The incident was reported at about 7:45 a.m. on Sunday, August 16, 2026, prompting troops of Sector 8, Operation Enduring Peace, deployed at Sabon Gari to move to the affected community.
A military security source told Zagazola Makama that upon arrival, the troops discovered that about 45 Fulani accommodation structures had been destroyed, while valuables belonging to the residents were allegedly looted by the assailants.
In the early hours of the attack, several residents were gunned down by the attackers before slaughtering them. The attack immediately triggered mass displacement with women and children and elderly ran for safety.
The assailants also reportedly entered farms belonging to Fulani residents and used cutlasses to destroy a large quantity of crops.
Following the incident, troops summoned the Galadima and youth leader of Jwak Maitumbi community, directing the community leadership to assist security agencies in identifying and producing those responsible for the attack.
The development is particularly sensitive because the conflict in parts of Plateau has frequently been characterised by tit-for-tat attacks, in which an attack on one community is followed by retaliation against another community, often resulting in further deaths, destruction of property and displacement.
The destruction of the shelters and crops could therefore become a trigger for revenge if affected residents or their associates believe that the perpetrators have not been identified or brought to justice. Failure to establish accountability could deepen perceptions of impunity and increase the temptation for affected communities to seek their own form of justice.
Plateau has experienced several episodes of this nature, with targeted attacks and reprisals often spreading beyond the location where the initial incident occurred. The danger is that the latest incident could similarly be interpreted through the lens of previous attacks rather than as an isolated criminal act.
The intervention was aimed at ensuring accountability and preventing possible reprisal attacks capable of escalating tensions between communities in the area.
Troops have continued to dominate the general area while engaging community and traditional leaders as part of efforts to de-escalate tensions, prevent retaliatory violence and restore calm.
Several Killed, 45 Fulani Shelters Destroyed, Crops Razed In Targeted attack by suspected Mwaghavul miltia in Plateau Community
News
Troops Repel ISWAP Attack on Mandaragirau FOB, Detonate IED During Clearance Operation in Borno
Troops Repel ISWAP Attack on Mandaragirau FOB, Detonate IED During Clearance Operation in Borno
By Zagazola Makama
Troops of the 162 Amphibious Battalion under Operation Hadin Kai have successfully repelled an attack by suspected Boko Haram/ISWAP terrorists on Forward Operating Base (FOB) Mandaragirau in Borno State.
Security sources said the attack occurred at about 2:00 a.m. on August 15, 2026, when the terrorists launched a coordinated assault on the base from two separate fronts.
According to the sources, the troops, who were on high alert, immediately engaged the advancing terrorists after sighting them. The Battalion Commander reportedly led standby troops to reinforce ambush teams already deployed along likely enemy approaches.
A heavy exchange of fire ensued, during which the troops decisively repelled the attack on one axis, inflicting significant disruption on the assailants.
In a separate manoeuvre, another group of terrorists attempted to bypass the ambush positions and breach the camp through the river line. However, they were also successfully repelled by the troops, forcing the attackers to withdraw in disarray.
Following the encounter, troops pursued the fleeing terrorists, but the operation was later halted due to poor visibility and difficult terrain. Security sources said further exploitation of the area would continue at first light.
No casualties were recorded on the side of the troops, while the number of terrorist casualties could not be immediately ascertained. The situation in the general area was described as calm but highly unpredictable.
Meanwhile, troops conducting follow-up clearance operations along the Mandaragirau–Kana axis on the morning of August 15 discovered and safely detonated a command-detonated improvised explosive device (IED) suspected to have been planted in anticipation of troop reinforcement movement.
Security sources said the IED was detected short of a bridge along the route and was safely neutralised by the clearance team before it could be triggered.
In a related development, troops also discovered the corpse of a civilian who had reportedly fallen victim to another IED planted by the terrorists in the area. The remains were found a few metres from the detonation site during the clearance operation.
Authorities said detailed assessment and photographic documentation of the incidents would be provided as troops conclude ongoing clearance operations in the axis.
Troops Repel ISWAP Attack on Mandaragirau FOB, Detonate IED During Clearance Operation in Borno
News
ISWAP Fighter Surrenders in Borno After Eight Months in Terrorist Camp
ISWAP Fighter Surrenders in Borno After Eight Months in Terrorist Camp
By Zagazola Makama
A 25-year-old suspected Islamic State West Africa Province (ISWAP) fighter has surrendered to troops in Monguno Local Government Area of Borno State after spending about eight months with the terrorist group.
The surrendered fighter, identified as Alhaji Ali Gambo Kanuri, a native of Ngarinna village in Monguno LGA, reportedly joined the group about eight months ago after being introduced by a friend.
According to military sources, Gambo later became disillusioned with life within the terrorist group and decided to abandon the organisation.
His decision to surrender was reportedly influenced by the difficult conditions confronting members of the group amid sustained military operations against terrorist enclaves in the North-East.
Gambo eventually made his way out of the terrorist-controlled area and surrendered to troops in Monguno town, where he was taken into custody for further processing.
Military sources said the former fighter was subsequently transferred to the appropriate authorities for further action in line with established procedures for persons who voluntarily disengage from terrorist groups.
His surrender comes amid sustained military pressure against Boko Haram and ISWAP elements operating across Borno State, with security forces continuing clearance and counter-terrorism operations in various parts of the North-East.
Authorities have continued to encourage individuals associated with terrorist groups who are willing to disengage from violence to surrender peacefully and submit themselves to the established screening and rehabilitation processes.
ISWAP Fighter Surrenders in Borno After Eight Months in Terrorist Camp
-
News2 years agoRoger Federer’s Shock as DNA Results Reveal Myla and Charlene Are Not His Biological Children
-
Opinions5 years agoTHE PLIGHT OF FARIDA
-
News1 year agoFAILED COUP IN BURKINA FASO: HOW TRAORÉ NARROWLY ESCAPED ASSASSINATION PLOT AMID FOREIGN INTERFERENCE CLAIMS
-
News2 years agoEYN: Rev. Billi, Distortion of History, and The Living Tamarind Tree
-
Opinions5 years agoPOLICE CHARGE ROOMS, A MINTING PRESS
-
ACADEMICS2 years agoA History of Biu” (2015) and The Lingering Bura-Pabir Question (1)
-
Columns2 years agoArmy University Biu: There is certain interest, but certainly not from Borno.
-
Politics1 year ago2027: Why Hon. Midala Balami Must Go, as Youths in Hawul and Asikira/Uba Federal Constituency Reject ₦500,000 as Sallah Gift
