Connect with us

Uncategorized

Yobe State Delegation Visits World’s Largest Fertilizer Plant in Morocco

Published

on

Yobe State Delegation Visits World’s Largest Fertilizer Plant in Morocco

By: Michael Mike

Yobe state government has advance a team to Morocco on a visit to the World’s largest fertilizer company, OCP/Jorf Lasfar fertilizer complex to help in formulating strategies for the resuscitate of the Yobe state fertilizer blending plant.

The team led by the Secretary to the State Government, Baba Malam Wali, had the commissioners of Agriculture Hon. Mustapha Goniri, Higher Education Prof. Bello Kawuwa, Local Government and Chieftaincy Affairs, Hon. Ibrahim Adamu Jajere, and the Chairman of Damaturu Local government council Hon. Bukar Adamu.

The Facility Information Officer of the complex, Amine Jamaleddine, who conducted the delegation around the facility on Thursday, said “the OCP/Jorf Lasfar fertilizer complex is the biggest fertilizer company in the world with an all year round production caoacity.”

She explained that “lt has a production capacity of 15 million tones of fertilizer annually.

“The complex has about 20,000 staff with the company producing fertilizer supplying all parts of the World.”

She expressed the readiness of the company to partner with the Yobe state government to resuscitate the state-owned fertilizer factory.

The state team leader, Baba Malam Wali, expressed satisfaction with the commitment of OCP/Jorf Lasfar fertilizer factory and the consultants, to partner the state government to resuscitate the Yobe fertilizer company.

He said: “The Governor Buni administration has strong commitment to revive the factory to meet the fertilizer needs of farmers in the state, generate employment and export to improve revenue of the state.

Similarly, the state Commissioner for Agriculture, Hon. Mustapha Goniri, said the revival of the fertilizer factory would boost the on-going agricultural revolution in the state by the Buni administration.

“Last year the state government launched a massive agricultural empowerment programme with 100 tractors, solar pumps, irrigation facilities, other farm Implements, fertilizer, improved seeds, herbicides and pesticides among others, and distributed to farmers free of charge.

“Again, last month, additional 40 tractors were procured by the state government to boost crop production to enhance food security and for exports to improve the revenue of the state” Goniri said.

African Network center, the consulting firm, expressed optimism that the partnership would be beneficial to the two parties.

“The government and people of Yobe state would benefit immensely from this partnership which would ensure food sufficiency and security.

“l have seen the great commitment by His Excellency Governor Mai Mala Buni CON, to improve agriculture in Yobe state, and we are putting everything in the right place to make this partnership succeed, and for Yobe state government to succeed” he said.

According to a statement by the spokesman of the governor, Mamman Mohammed, Buni is expected to arrive Morocco for partnership in other areas including Education and direct investments in local government areas.

Yobe State Delegation Visits World’s Largest Fertilizer Plant in Morocco

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Uncategorized

UNIMAID AT 50: Improved Investment in Education Reflects Renewed Vigour Under President Tinubu – VP Shettima

Published

on

UNIMAID AT 50: Improved Investment in Education Reflects Renewed Vigour Under President Tinubu – VP Shettima

*Says, increased education budget to ₦3.5 trillion, expanded mechanised farming, AI training, underscore FG’s commitment

*Commends Borno Govt investments in human capital development

By: Our Reporter

Vice President Kashim Shettima has said the improved investment in Nigeria’s education sector by the administration of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu reflects the renewed vigour to properly situate the nation in the global knowledge economy.

He warned that Nigeria cannot compete globally if its universities remain underfunded, stressing that sustained investment in education is now a core pillar of national development and security under President Tinubu administration.

The Vice President reaffirmed the federal government’s commitment to transforming Nigeria’s education sector through increased funding and comprehensive reforms.

He was speaking on Saturday in Maiduguri at a ceremony to mark the 50th anniversary of the University of Maiduguri, Borno State.

“Today, there is a shared national understanding that education is the most reliable vehicle to development. It is the immune system of the nation. It fuels economic mobility, lifts families out of poverty, strengthens social cohesion, deepens democratic culture, and fortifies national security. It sustains every modern endeavour, from the construction of strong institutions to the building of a strong economy,” the Vice President said.

Speaking on the focus of the administration of President Tinubu, the Vice President said “…we have made it clear that we do not come to pay lip service to education. We recognise that the soul of national development lies in what our citizens know, what they can imagine, and what they can create. Because we understand the transformative power of learning, our budgetary commitments have been deliberately aligned with the broader goals of national progress.”

VP Shettima disclosed that “in the 2025 Budget, education received a total of 3.5 trillion naira, amounting to 7.3 percent of the national budget, an increase from the previous year. For the first time in many years, our universities are being supported to develop mechanised farming programmes. Grants have been introduced to strengthen medical education, and entrepreneurial initiatives have been expanded to equip students for the realities of a modern economy.”

“We are preparing our young people for a knowledge-driven world, not with the tools of yesterday, but with the skills of tomorrow,” he added.

Senator Shettima however acknowledged Indeed the challenges that have persisted, noting that “for decades, underfunding has weakened the foundations of our education system. International benchmarks recommend that between fifteen and twenty percent of national budgets be devoted to education, yet we have often fallen short. We have fallen short because we are compelled to balance competing national priorities such as security, healthcare, and infrastructure.”

Reflecting on the impact of insecurity on education in the North-East, the Vice President recalled that over 500 schools were attacked in Borno State between 2009 and 2021, with thousands of classrooms destroyed and teachers killed or displaced.

However, he said the state has staged a remarkable recovery. As at March 2025, 877,777 learners were enrolled in public schools across Borno, with the state committing ₦69.81 billion to education. Over 26,000 students had their WAEC fees paid by the government, while daily school feeding now costs about ₦122 million.

“When terrorists attacked our schools, they were trying to kill the future. But Borno chose hope over fear and education over darkness,” VP Shettima said.

The Vice President admitted that Nigerian universities continue to battle staff shortages, brain drain, outdated curricula, inadequate research funding, frequent strikes and high student-to-teacher ratios.

He said the President Tinubu administration is responding through digital transformation, national education databases, curriculum reforms, research development and skills-based learning, shifting education away from rote memorisation toward problem-solving, creativity and entrepreneurship.

VP Shettima said President Bola Ahmed Tinubu’s Renewed Hope Agenda places education at the centre of Nigeria’s economic and social renewal, linking learning directly to job creation, poverty reduction, democratic stability and national security.

“National development is impossible without skilled citizens and leaders of integrity. That is why this government is investing deliberately in education, digital skills, research capacity and institutional autonomy,” he stated.

Tracing the roots of the University of Maiduguri to the Third National Development Plan of 1975–1980, VP Shettima described the institution as a symbol of Nigeria’s commitment to development through knowledge, despite decades of security challenges.

“This university stands today not as a victim of the storms it endured, but as a lighthouse in the Sahel. The wealth of a nation lies not in gold or oil, but in the minds of its people. And that future is being shaped in our classrooms,” VP Shettima added.

Earlier, Governor of Borno State, Prof. Babagana Zulum, said the state government was proud of the legacies of the University of Maiduguri and announced the award of scholarships for further studies to 200 lecturers from the institution.

He said the institution has been instrumental in the state’s human parietal development efforts as well as economic blueprints over the years.

In the same vein, Governor Umaru Fintiri of Adamawa State who announced a donation of N1.8 billion on behalf of the states in the northeast region for the University’s endowment fund, commended efforts aimed at expanding funding sources for the institution through partnerships with the private sector and individuals.

For his part, the Vice Chancellor of the University of Maiduguri, Prof. Mohammed Mele, said the anniversary event was a celebration of success, resilience and perseverance in the face of conflict, recalling the challenges faced by the institution due to the insurgency.

He sought improved collaboration with the private sector to complement government funding of the institution, in its bid to sustain strides recorded in various fields.

Other dignitaries at the event included, Former Vice President of Nigeria, Alhaji Babagana Kingibe; Minister of State for Education, Prof. Suwaiba Ahmad; Businessman and Philantropist, Alhaji Muhammadu Indimi; Businessman, Sir Emeka Offor; Pro Chancellor of the University and Emir of Lafia, Justice Sidi Bage; some members of the National Assembly from Borno State; Shehu of Borno, Alhaji Abubakar Ibn Umar Garbai El-Kanemi, among others.
End

Continue Reading

Uncategorized

Transborder criminal financier arrested, apprehended in Kano with ₦15.28 million recovered

Published

on

Transborder criminal financier arrested, apprehended in Kano with ₦15.28 million recovered

By: Zagazola Makama

The Nigerian Police Operatives of the Scorpion Squad have arrested a suspected transborder criminal financier, Alhaji Jazuli Adamu, 40, in Fagge Local Government Area, Kano State, following actionable digital intelligence and confessions from previously arrested armed robbery suspects.

Zagazola Makama gathered that Jazuli Adamu was identified as the financial facilitator for Alhaji Abdulkarim Ibrahim (a.k.a. Gabeida) from Niger Republic, who allegedly armed criminal youths to carry out car-snatching operations targeting SUVs and Hilux vehicles across Nigeria.

It was gathered that funds from the robbery operations were reportedly transferred to Jazuli Adamu’s account for disbursement to the armed robbers, while the stolen vehicles were transported to Niger Republic.

Upon arrest, the police recovered ₦15,280,000 (fifteen million, two hundred and eighty thousand naira) from Jazuli Adamu, which was transferred to him by Alhaji Karim for distribution to the criminals.

Investigators noted that Jazuli operates a mini Bureau de Change (BDC) in Kano, and preliminary checks of his digital communications revealed transaction records and payment receipts amounting to billions of naira between him and Abdulkarim Ibrahim.

The sources said that suspects who had received payment for stolen vehicles via Jazuli are currently in custody undergoing interrogation, while investigations into the syndicate remain ongoing.

Transborder criminal financier arrested, apprehended in Kano with ₦15.28 million recovered

Continue Reading

Uncategorized

Two injured after stray bullet from custom officer hits passengers in Oyo/Osun border

Published

on

Two injured after stray bullet from custom officer hits passengers in Oyo/Osun border

By: Zagazola Makama

Two passengers were injured on November 27 after being struck by a stray bullet fired by a custom officer while traveling along the Oyo/Osun border.

Eyewitnesses said Aderoju Jamiu and his brother, Amuda Kabir, were returning from Ago-Are Market in Okaka town in a Toyota pickup vehicle loaded with cattle when the custom officer on routine duty fired his AK-47 at the vehicle.

The bullet penetrated the windscreen and struck two Fulani passengers in the back of the vehicle, identified as Musa Sule and Idris Lawal.

The injured were rushed to the General Hospital in Okaka, where they are receiving treatment and responding to care.

The officer involved has been identified, disarmed, and taken into custody as investigations continue.

Two injured after stray bullet from custom officer hits passengers in Oyo/Osun border

Continue Reading

Trending

Verified by MonsterInsights