News
158 Nigerian Irregular Migrants to Libya Repatriated, Says Envoy

158 Nigerian Irregular Migrants to Libya Repatriated, Says Envoy
By: Michael Mike
A total of 158 Nigerian irregular migrants have again been repatriated from Libya, the Charge’ d’ Affaires of the Nigerian Mission in Tripoli, Libya, Amb. Mohammed Mohammed has revealed
The envoy, in a release made available to journalists on Wednesday, disclosed that the repatriation exercise was carried out by the Mission in collaboration with the Libyan authorities and the International Organisation for Migration (IOM) under the organisation’s Voluntary Humanitarian Repatriation (VHR).
The release further stated that the evacuees departed Mitiga International Airport, Tripoli, aboard chartered flight no: – UZ 189 at 1500hrs local time and arrived at the Murtala Muhammed International Airport, Lagos at 1800hrs.
According to Mohammed, the group of evacuees comprised seventy-seven (77) males, forty-five (45) females, 26 children as well as 10 infants.
On the reasons for this latest repatriation of these Nigerians, the Nigerian Embassy said they were repatriated for lack of proper documentation and accusations of various criminal activities,among others.
Of the total number, the Embassy said 26 males arrested from the ongoing raid of undocumented foreigners in Libya were released from Abu-Salim Detention Centre in Tripoli.
The Mission also informed that upon arrival in Nigeria, the evacuees were received by relevant government agencies, including NAPTIP, Nigerian Immigration Service, Airport Security and the NDLEA. These evacuees are expected to undergo rehabilitation and reintegration processes before they are released into society.
According to Mohammed, nearly 1, 776 stranded Nigerians have safely been returned home in 2024 so far.
The Nigerian Envoy, while urging citizens to shun irregular migrations,lauded the collaborative efforts of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs,the Libyan authorities and the IOM for coming through for so many of the evacuees,who had the urgent desire to return home,but did not have the means to do so.
He said: “This marks the twelfth evacuation exercise carried out by the Nigerian Mission in Libya this year.
“The current exercise follows the repatriation of one hundred and forty-two (142) irregular Nigerian migrants from Sabha, Libya, on 9th July.
“While some of them were rescued from the Mediterranean Sea by the Libyan Coastal Guards, others were arrested on charges of prostitution, illegally entering the country, over stay and lack of proper documentation, just as others willingly submitted themselves to the International Organisation for Migration (IOM) in Libya for repatriation.
“You know, lately, there have been increasing and coordinated raids of illegal migrants across the cities of Libya and these are likely going to continue as Libyan authorities consider influx of illegal migrants in the country a National Security issue and have vowed to employ all legal means to stop the menace.
“Nigerians living in Libya,from many indications, already have damaged reputations due to the alleged nefarious activities of some criminal elements among them.Some have been fingered in the commitment of crimes such as kidnapping for ransom, drug peddling, prostitution, sale of alcohol as well as cultism and human trafficking with their Libyan collaborators, among others .
“It is, therefore ,as a result of the above that, arrest and deportation of Nigerians may continue in the weeks and months ahead,” the Nigerian Envoy said.
Worried by the challenges of illegal migration, the Libyan authorities recently, on July 17,2024, hosted the Trans-Mediterranean Migration Forum in Tripoli which brought together source, transit and destination countries to discuss solutions to irregular migration.
The Voluntary Humanitarian Repatriation is a programme of the International Organization for Migration that guarantees safe, dignified and expedited return for willing migrants. The Federal Government has through its constant collaborations with this organisation ensured that many irregular Nigerian migrants return home from time to time.
158 Nigerian Irregular Migrants to Libya Repatriated, Says Envoy
News
Malians Youth Gang Violent Clashes Claims Life in Maiduguri

Malians Youth Gang Violent Clashes Claims Life in Maiduguri
By: Zagazola Makama
An 18-year-old youth, identified as Bakura Muhammed, was fatally stabbed on April 4, 2025, during a violent clash between rival youth groups in Maiduguri.
Intelligence sources told Zagazola Makama that the altercation occurred at about 4:30 PM in the Ajari and Tashan Lara areas, where youths from both sides engaged in a free-for-all fight.
The victim was fatally stabbed on the stomach. He was immediately transported to the University of Maiduguri Teaching Hospital, by the security personnel from Maiduguri Borno police command, where he was confirmed dead by medical personnel.
A police sources said that seven individuals, aged between 15 and 24, have been arrested in connection with the incident. They include Ba’abba Kyari (20), Ali Alhaji GoniAli (20), Muhammed Audu (18), Ali Isa (15), Adam Sabir (15), Mohammed Tujja (17), and Usman Kasim (24).
Authorities are still searching for other members of the gang who fled the scene.
The victim’s body has been deposited at the hospital morgue for autopsy and was later released to the family for burial in accordance with Islamic rites.
Malians Youth Gang Violent Clashes Claims Life in Maiduguri
News
Remnant IED Explosion Injures One in Borno

Remnant IED Explosion Injures One in Borno
By: Zagazola Makama
An Improvised Explosive Device (IED) explosion occurred in Meleri Village, Damboa Local Government Area, on April 4, 2025, leaving one person injured.
Intelligence sources told Zagazola Makama that one Alhaji Sanda, a resident of Hansari IDP Camp, and Bulama Zarayye, aged 40, were collecting baobab tree seeds when Zarayye accidentally stepped on an IED.
The device, believed to have been planted by ISWAP, exploded, causing injuries to Zarayye’s buttock, right hand, and lap.
A combined security team, including the Military and the Explosive Ordnance Disposal and Chemical, Biological, Radiological, and Nuclear (EOD-CBRN) unit, was promptly dispatched to the scene.
The area was cordoned off, and a search for additional explosive devices was conducted, but no further devices were found.
Zarayye was taken to the General Hospital in Damboa, where he is currently receiving treatment and is reported to be in stable condition.
Remnant IED Explosion Injures One in Borno
News
Suspect Dies After Torture in Kaduna

Suspect Dies After Torture in Kaduna
By: Zagazola Makama
A tragic incident has been reported in Tudun Nupawa, Kaduna, following the death of 21-year-old Abba Bello.
It was gathered that on April 2, 2025, Bello was arrested by a security guard at Old Panteka on suspicion of theft.
Abdullahi Usman, a suspected commander of the group, allegedly supervised the torture of Bello, leaving him unconscious.
Bello was initially taken to Yusuf Dantsoho Memorial Hospital for treatment but was later transferred to Barau Dikko Teaching Hospital. Despite receiving medical care, he succumbed to his injuries on April 4, 2025, around 5:00 AM.
The deceased’s family has declined a post-mortem examination, and his body was released for burial as per their request.
Efforts to apprehend the suspects are ongoing.
Suspect Dies After Torture in Kaduna
-
News1 year ago
Roger Federer’s Shock as DNA Results Reveal Myla and Charlene Are Not His Biological Children
-
Opinions3 years ago
THE PLIGHT OF FARIDA
-
News1 year ago
EYN: Rev. Billi, Distortion of History, and The Living Tamarind Tree
-
Opinions3 years ago
POLICE CHARGE ROOMS, A MINTING PRESS
-
Columns1 year ago
Army University Biu: There is certain interest, but certainly not from Borno.
-
ACADEMICS1 year ago
A History of Biu” (2015) and The Lingering Bura-Pabir Question (1)
-
Opinions1 year ago
Tinubu,Shettima: The epidemic of economic, insecurity in Nigeria
-
Politics8 months ago
Kashim Shettima: Of Sentiments, Their Opinions, and the 21 billion Naira VP’s Official Resident