News
Abduction of Fulani woman, Aisha Goma heightens fear of attacks in Kaduna community
Abduction of Fulani woman, Aisha Goma heightens fear of attacks in Kaduna community
By: Zagazola Makama
The abduction of a married Fulani woman, Aisha Goma, in Chikun Local Government Area of Kaduna State has sparked fresh fear and anxiety among residents of the area.
Sources told Zagazola Makama that the victim was abducted from her home at about 11:00 p.m. on Friday, Jan. 17, while her husband was away.
According to the sources, the attackers, suspected to be armed bandits, besieged the residence and forcefully took the woman to an unknown location.
The sources said that the assailants are believed to be former members of the Kamilu group, who have been operating around the axis in the past,” a source said.
The sources added that as of the time of filing this report, no contact had been made by the abductors and no ransom demand had been communicated to the family.
Zagazola reports that the incident has heightened tension in the area, with many residents expressing fear over a surge in abductions targeting members of the Fulani community in recent weeks.
“For more than a week now, people have been living in fear. Families are moving out in large numbers, especially those living around the Olam Company axis,” another community source said.
According to him, some residents have relocated to safer parts of Soba Local Government Area, while others have fled to villages in neighbouring Kwara State to escape the growing insecurity.
Abduction of Fulani woman, Aisha Goma heightens fear of attacks in Kaduna community
News
Farmers laud Borno security measures against clashes
Farmers laud Borno security measures against clashes
By Peter Uwumarogie
Farmers in Kwaya Kusar Local Government Area of Borno have commended the state government’s security initiatives aimed at tackling farmer-herder clashes in the area.
Alhaji Hassan Musa, Chairman, All Farmers Association of Nigeria (AFAN), Kwaya Kusar chapter, gave the commendation in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Kwaya Kusar town on Thursday.
Musa said measures adopted by the state government, including the establishment of Agro-Rangers and other security initiatives, had helped reduce farmer-herder clashes in the area.
He said since the state government, in collaboration with the local government, implemented the initiative, farmers had enjoyed safe access to their farmlands.
According to him, the council chairman, Mr Dahiru Hamma, and the Biu Emirate Council had also strengthened dialogue and community engagement to promote peaceful coexistence between farmers and herders.
“Farmers and herders are now carrying out their activities without any rancor because of the measures put in place and these have helped farmers boost productivity.
“No more destruction on our farmlands which often cause huge losses for farmers and reduce their incomes.
“We now have hunters guarding our farmlands and coordinating activities around our farmlands to ensure no encroachment until we harvest our produce.
“We thank Gov. Babagana Zulum, Mr Hamma and the Biu Emirate Council for being proactive,” he said.
Musa also commended Zulum for subsidising fertilisers for farmers in the area, providing input support for dry-season farming and distributing 500 bicycles to farmers.
He said the bicycles, which had been distributed to farmers, had ensured easier access to farmlands while reducing transportation costs.
Farmers laud Borno security measures against clashes
News
Borno LG boss warns residents against illegal tree felling
Borno LG boss warns residents against illegal tree felling
By Peter Uwumarogie
Kwaya Kusar Local Government Area of Borno State, on Thursday launched its tree planting campaign, while distributing 150, 000 tree seedlings to residents.
The campaign is in collaboration with the State’s Ministry of Environment and the state’s Agency for the Great Green Wall.
Launching the campaign in Bila Kutiki community in Kwaya Kusar LGA, Engr Mohammed Habib, Borno Commissioner for Environment commended the council for the initiative which he said aligned with Gov. Babagana Zulum’s environment agenda.
Habib, represented by Mr Aliyu Yusuf, the Director of Forestry and Wildlife Services at the Ministry stated that Borno State faced serious environmental challenges such as desertification, deforestation, soil erosion, and the impact of climate change.
He said that it was in that regard that his ministry would continue to provide support and embrace partnership to ensure the success of the afforestation initiative of the state.
He urged the Kwaya Kusar community to maintain the trees, stressing that “planting is easy, but nurturing to maturity is what will give us the real impact.”
Hon. Dahiru Hamma, the chairman of Kwaya Kusar LGA said that the move to distribute the seedlings was a response to the activities of illegal tree felling and its impact on communities in the council.
Hamma said that the gesture would complement the state government’s efforts at combating climate change and protecting the environment for the future generations to inherit a greener and healthy environment.
“We are today launching and releasing 150,000 seedlings which comprises Casia plant, black current, Mahogany, Eucalyptus, Tamarine, Cashew, malena, mango, zaytoun, Bamboo tree, neem plant, amongst others,” he said.
The chairman appealed to residents to ensure adequate protection and sustainability of the trees, while warning against illegal tree felling in the council.
According to him, anyone caught engaging in illegal tree felling will be prosecuted in accordance with the laws of the state.
He commended Zulum and the Emir of Biu, Alhaji Mustapha Umar-Mustapha II for their support and commitment to environmental restoration.
Alhaji Mohammed Abubakar, the secretary of Biu Emirate Council who represented the emir, urged residents to ensure sustainability of the trees, stating that trees among others help serve as wind breakers to protect houses.
Borno LG boss warns residents against illegal tree felling
News
Zulum Hosts 4th UN Offer Meeting, Seeks Stronger UN, Donor Investment for Borno’s Recovery
Zulum Hosts 4th UN Offer Meeting, Seeks Stronger UN, Donor Investment for Borno’s Recovery
By: Our Reporter
Borno State Governor, Professor Babagana Umara Zulum, has called for stronger collaboration and co-investment between the state government, the Federal Government, the United Nations, development partners, international financial institutions, and the private sector to accelerate recovery and sustainable development in the state.
Zulum made the call on Thursday at the Council Chambers of the Government House, Maiduguri, at the fourth Project Board Meeting of the United Nations Offer to Support the Borno Model and the Steering Committee Meeting of the Peacebuilding Fund.

A Federal Government delegation, the United Nations, Development Partners, and Donor agencies attended the meeting.
The governor said the decision to hold the high-level meeting in Maiduguri reflected Borno’s strategic importance in national and international efforts towards peacebuilding, stabilization, recovery and sustainable development in Nigeria’s North-East.
He commended the United Nations, donor countries and development partners for their financial and technical support, noting that their interventions had improved the lives of vulnerable people and communities affected by more than a decade of insurgency.
According to Zulum, the Peacebuilding Fund and the UN Offer have helped to move support beyond immediate humanitarian relief to critical areas such as reconciliation, reintegration, livelihood support, social cohesion and institutional strengthening.
“We recognize that progress in Borno is a product of strong partnerships among the state government, the United Nations, development partners, communities, the Federal Government and other stakeholders,” Zulum stated.
He described the development of the Borno Model legal framework as a major product of the partnership between the state government and the United Nations, saying it would provide a stronger institutional foundation for peace, recovery, social cohesion and development.
Zulum said Borno was at a critical transition point, moving from humanitarian response to recovery, reconstruction, resilience and long-term development.

He identified the state’s priority areas to include rebuilding conflict-affected communities, restoring basic services, expanding education and skills development, creating jobs, supporting women and young people, strengthening local institutions, and enabling displaced and returning residents to rebuild their lives in dignity.
The governor also advocated increased investment in agriculture, small and medium-scale enterprises, vocational training, digital opportunities and value-chain development.
“With the right investment in infrastructure, skills and enterprise development, Borno can move from being viewed primarily through the lens of crisis to being recognized as a center of economic opportunity in the North-East,” he added.
The governor said the Borno State Government has committed more than 70% of its budget over the last seven years to security, support for internally displaced persons and refugees, reconstruction of schools, houses, health facilities and markets, and livelihood opportunities for people affected by the insurgency.
He said the investments aimed to restore dignity, build resilience, and sustain peace across the state.
“Our collective objective must now be to build on what has been achieved, scale up what works, and ensure that the people of Borno fully benefit from the transition from humanitarian assistance to medium- and longer-term sustainable and durable solutions,” he said.

The governor commended the Minister of Budget and Economic Planning, Senator Abubakar Atiku Bagudu; the United Nations Resident and Humanitarian Coordinator, Mr Mohammed Fall; and the UNDP Resident Representative, Ms Elsie Attafuah, for their support and commitment to Borno’s recovery.
He also acknowledged contributions by Germany, the United Kingdom, Switzerland, the Office of the National Security Adviser, the Armed Forces, the Nigeria Police Force, the Federal Ministry of Justice and other stakeholders.
Zulum reaffirmed his administration’s commitment to provide the leadership, institutional support, and coordination needed to sustain partner-supported programs beyond their project lifespan.
Minister of Budget and Economic Planning, Senator Abubakar Atiku Bagudu, noted that the challenges confronting the Northeast should not be viewed solely as humanitarian crises, but also as opportunities for long-term investment and sustainable development.
He stressed the need for coordinated financing and closer collaboration among the federal and state governments, the United Nations, and development partners to achieve the desired outcome.
The Minister particularly commended Borno State Governor, Professor Babagana Umara Zulum, for providing trusted leadership and coordinating the state’s response to the complex challenges confronting its people.
He also lauded the United Nations, development and donor partners for the continuous support to the victims of the Boko Haram conflict.
United Nations Resident and Humanitarian Coordinator,
Mr. Mohammed Malick Fall and UNDP Resident Representative, Ms. Elsie Attafuah, expressed their commitment to continue supporting the project and commended the leadership of Governor Babagana Zulum.
Zulum Hosts 4th UN Offer Meeting, Seeks Stronger UN, Donor Investment for Borno’s Recovery
-
News2 years agoRoger Federer’s Shock as DNA Results Reveal Myla and Charlene Are Not His Biological Children
-
Opinions5 years agoTHE PLIGHT OF FARIDA
-
News1 year agoFAILED COUP IN BURKINA FASO: HOW TRAORÉ NARROWLY ESCAPED ASSASSINATION PLOT AMID FOREIGN INTERFERENCE CLAIMS
-
News2 years agoEYN: Rev. Billi, Distortion of History, and The Living Tamarind Tree
-
Opinions5 years agoPOLICE CHARGE ROOMS, A MINTING PRESS
-
ACADEMICS2 years agoA History of Biu” (2015) and The Lingering Bura-Pabir Question (1)
-
Columns2 years agoArmy University Biu: There is certain interest, but certainly not from Borno.
-
Politics1 year ago2027: Why Hon. Midala Balami Must Go, as Youths in Hawul and Asikira/Uba Federal Constituency Reject ₦500,000 as Sallah Gift
