International
Biden asks Netayahu to send team to Washington for talks on Rafah
Biden asks Netayahu to send team to Washington for talks on Rafah
U.S. national security advisor Jake Sullivan said Monday that President Joe Biden has asked Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu in a telephone call to send a team of representatives from the military, intelligence services and humanitarian aid specialists to Washington in the coming days.
Biden wants to explain his government’s reservations about the planned offensive in Rafah in the south of the Gaza Strip and discuss possible alternatives.
Netanyahu agreed to send such a team.
“We have every expectation that they’re not going to proceed with a major military operation in Rafah until we have that conversation,” Sullivan said, referring to the Israelis.
A meeting is planned for the end of this week or the beginning of next week, but a specific date has not yet been set.
Sullivan said a major Israeli offensive in Rafah would be a mistake, but that Hamas should not use the city or anywhere else as a safe haven.
The national security adviser rejected reports that the tone between Biden and Netanyahu was tense and that the phone call ended abruptly. The conversation was “business-like,” he said.
Meanwhile, David Barnea, the head of Mossad, Israel’s foreign intelligence service, met with mediators in Qatar, Israeli TV station N12 reported.
The Israeli security cabinet had authorized the departure of a delegation led by Barnea to the Gulf state late on Sunday evening.
Mediators from Qatar, Egypt, and the United States are attempting to make progress in the recently stalled talks on a temporary ceasefire and an exchange of Israeli hostages for Palestinian prisoners.
Hamas recently submitted a new proposal to the mediators.
In it, Hamas no longer demands that Israel end the war before the first hostages are exchanged for Palestinian prisoners in Israeli jails.
According to the proposal, Hamas would only make a non-temporary cessation of hostilities by Israel a prerequisite for a second phase of hostage releases.
This means that Hamas has come closer to the contents of a multi-stage plan that the mediators had presented several weeks ago and which Israel had accepted.
Now that Hamas has made some progress, Israel is prepared to take part in the indirect mediation talks in Qatar for the first time in a fortnight. Israeli television reported that the talks are expected to last at least two weeks.
On the ground in Gaza, Israel concentrated its military activities on Monday on al-Shifa Hospital, where it said it had killed a senior official of the Palestinian Islamist group Hamas, which was behind the Oct. 7 massacre in Israel.
The man was Faik al-Mabhouh, head of Hamas’ internal security department, which is also responsible for operational missions, according to a joint statement by the military and the Shin Bet domestic intelligence service.
Al-Mabhouh was also “responsible for coordinating Hamas terror activities in the Gaza Strip,” the statement said.
Hamas initially gave no official confirmation of al-Mabhouh’s death.
Al-Mabhouh was killed after intelligence information was received about the presence of senior Hamas members in the al-Shifa hospital, the army said.
He had been hiding armed in a building of the hospital complex and was killed in a confrontation with the troops, the statement said.
Several weapons were found in the room next to his hiding place.
Eyewitnesses reported heavy gunfire inside the hospital. There were reports that a journalist from Arabic broadcaster Al-Jazeera was among dozens of people detained in the hospital.
Israel Defense Forces (IDF) spokesman Daniel Hagari said in a briefing on Monday evening that “we apprehended over two hundred terror suspects who are currently under investigation, eliminated more than twenty terrorists within the hospital area.”
Hagari added that IDF forces would “continue to operate in the hospital area tonight.”
According to reports from Gaza, the man killed was a brother of Hamas official Mahmoud al-Mabhouh, who was murdered in Dubai in 2010. At the time, Dubai police accused the Israeli foreign intelligence service Mossad of being behind the crime.
One accusation against Mahmud al-Mabhouh was that he had procured weapons for Hamas.
The case caused quite a stir internationally.
Prior to the operation, the IDF urged Palestinians sheltering in Gaza City’s al-Shifa Hospital to leave the conflict zone.
“You should leave the area to the west immediately to ensure your safety and then … to the humanitarian zone in al-Mawasi,” an IDF spokesman wrote in Arabic on X, formerly Twitter, on Monday morning.
He was referring to a town on the coast of the Gaza Strip in the far south. The IDF also dropped flyers.
Hagari in the morning had said that the operation followed “concrete intelligence that demanded immediate action.”
The military said it would “continue to act in accordance with international law and against the Hamas terrorist organisation – which operates from hospitals and civilian infrastructure in a systematic and cynical way.”
The U.S. government had also supported the Israeli claim that Hamas had used the largest hospital in the Gaza Strip as a command centre and weapons depot.
Biden asks Netayahu to send team to Washington for talks on Rafah
International
UK, Nigeria Deepen Digital Cooperation Through Benchmarking and Knowledge Exchange
UK, Nigeria Deepen Digital Cooperation Through Benchmarking and Knowledge Exchange
By: Michael Mike
The United Kingdom and Nigeria have advanced their strategic partnership through a high-level international benchmarking and knowledge exchange tour focused on end-to-end clearance of IT projects and procurement of public digital products and services.
Hosted by the UK Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO), through its Digital Access Programme, in collaboration with leading UK digital governance institutions, including Government Digital Service (GDS), Public Digital, Crown Commercial Service (CCS), British Standards Institute, and the FCDO Cyber Policy Department, the programme brought together senior officials from Nigeria’s National Information Technology Development Agency (NITDA), Galaxy Backbone Limited (GBB), Nigeria Data Protection Commission (NDPC), for a week-long engagement in London from 23 to 28 November 2025.

The programme built on the UK–Nigeria Strategic Partnership’s pillars of economic development, governance reform, and technology cooperation, ensuring that both countries leverage digital innovation to drive inclusive growth and secured public services.
A statement on Wednesday by FCDA said for Nigeria, this engagement will inform the enhancement of NITDA’s IT Project Clearance, improve procurement efficiency, and embed global best practices in cybersecurity, digital and data governance of public digital services. This engagement reinforces the UK’s role as a trusted partner for Nigeria’s inclusive digital transformation journey as well as open access to the UK technology supply chain for the Nigerian market.
While delivering the opening remarks, Kashifu Inuwa Abduallahi, NITDA Director General represented by Dr Usman Gambo Abdulahi, the Director IT project Clearance Unit said: “At the heart of Nigeria’s reforms is our determination to improve government service delivery, reduce waste, strengthen cybersecurity, and build trust in public digital systems. Modernising the IT Projects Clearance process therefore is a key enabler to achieving this vision. I commend the UK’s FCDO through the Digital Access Programme for its consistent support to Nigeria’s digital transformation journey. I thank UK Government and its various departments for agreeing to share insights and expertise that will certainly strengthen our institutions and our nation’s governance capacity”.
The FCDO’s Director for International Science and Technology, Ros Eales, said:
“Nigeria is a key partner of the UK in the tech sector. Working with partner countries like Nigeria is to ensure that digital transformation works for all and is safe, secure, and sustainable. This becomes even more important in an era of rapid technological evolution, accelerated by AI, with all its benefits to reap and risks to manage.”
the British deputy high commissioner in Lagos, Jonny Baxter, said: “The UK is proud to stand as a key partner to Nigeria, leveraging our expertise to drive knowledge exchange in digital governance and institutional reform. This technical collaboration underscores our longstanding commitment to Nigeria’s digital transformation and to building strategic partnerships that deliver shared economic growth for both nations.”

Head of Digital Development in FCDO London, and global lead of the UK Digital Access programme (DAP), Alessandra Lustrati, presented the Digital Development Strategy 2024-2030 to the Nigerian delegation and highlighted the importance of supporting best practices in the digital transformation of government, to ensure digital services are accessible, open, and citizen-driven, within a safe and secure digital environment
UK, Nigeria Deepen Digital Cooperation Through Benchmarking and Knowledge Exchange
International
United Kingdom, Canada, Australia Launch Campaign Against Visa Fraud
United Kingdom, Canada, Australia Launch Campaign Against Visa Fraud
By: Michael Mike
The Diplomatic Missions of the United Kingdom, Canada and Australia have announced the launch of a coordinated international campaign to combat visa fraud and protect people from exploitation by fraudulent immigration facilitators.
According to a statement on Monday, the #FightingVisaFraud campaign was launched during International Fraud Awareness Week (16-22 November) and represents an unprecedented level of cooperation between the three countries to tackle a shared global threat that costs victims millions of pounds annually and puts vulnerable people at risk of exploitation, financial ruin and legal consequences.
The statement read: “Visa fraud and illegal immigration facilitation have reached alarming levels globally, with criminal networks using increasingly sophisticated tactics to deceive prospective visa applicants. Victims are often promised guaranteed visas, jobs without proper qualifications, or expedited processing in exchange for exorbitant fees. The reality is financial loss, visa refusals, travel bans and, in the worst cases, trafficking and exploitation.
“Our countries have identified common patterns of visa fraud affecting their immigration systems. This coordinated campaign demonstrates the three countries’ commitment to protecting legitimate visa applicants while maintaining the integrity of their immigration systems and secure borders.”
British High Commissioner to Nigeria, Dr. Richard Montgomery said: “Visa fraud destroys dreams and devastates families. Criminal facilitators prey on people’s legitimate aspirations for a better life, stealing their money and putting them at risk of serious harm. Through this joint campaign with our international partners, we are sending a clear message: use only official channels, verify all advice, and report suspicious activity. The UK welcomes legitimate visa applications through proper routes – but those who attempt fraud face serious consequences, including 10-year travel bans.”
Canadian High Commissioner to Nigeria, Mr. Pasquale Salvaggio added: “Canada is committed to working with our international partners to combat visa fraud and protect people from exploitation. This campaign reflects our shared values and determination to maintain fair, secure immigration systems while supporting those who seek to travel, study or work through legitimate pathways.”
The statement added: Our three countries urge prospective visa applicants to: Use only official government websites for visa information and applications; Verify immigration advisers are properly registered and regulated; Be suspicious of guarantees, no one can guarantee visa approval; Watch for warning signs including demands for excessive fees, pressure to pay quickly, promises of jobs without proper qualifications, or offers to bypass standard requirements; Report suspicious activity to the relevant authorities.
The statement advised applicants seeking legitimate information to visit: www.gov.uk/browse/visas-immigration (United Kingdom); immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada – Canada.ca (Canada)
The statement warned that people who attempt to obtain a visa through fraudulent means face serious consequences, including visa application refusal, travel bans of up to 10 years, financial loss with no recourse, criminal charges in some jurisdictions, and exploitation and trafficking risks, noting that the three countries’ immigration authorities work closely with law enforcement to investigate and prosecute visa fraud and illegal facilitation.
United Kingdom, Canada, Australia Launch Campaign Against Visa Fraud
International
Algeria Calls for Continued Development, Stronger Ties with Nigeria
Algeria Calls for Continued Development, Stronger Ties with Nigeria
By: Michael Mike
Algeria’s Ambassador to Nigeria, Hocine Mezoued has reaffirmed his country’s commitment to sustainable development and stronger ties with Nigeria.
He gave the commitment in Abuja at the commemoration of the 71st anniversary of the outbreak of the National Liberation Struggle and Algeria’s National Day celebration.
The event drew senior representatives of the Nigerian government, members of the diplomatic corps, legislators, and other distinguished guests.
In his address, Ambassador Mezoued paid homage to the more than five million Algerian martyrs who lost their lives during the 132-year anti-colonial struggle, noting that the November Revolution remains “an inexhaustible source of pride and patriotism” for the Algerian people.
He emphasized that Algeria’s victory in securing independence in 1962 laid the groundwork for a nation strongly focused on development. He said: “Since its independence, Algeria has implemented national strategies and major development projects that have yielded remarkable achievements in human, economic, social, and environmental spheres.”
The envoy while underlining the country’s economic strength, noted that Algeria is currently the third-largest economy in Africa, with a GDP estimated at around US$300 billion, and projections to reach US$400 billion by 2027, backed by positive macroeconomic indicators.
He stated that despite its economic ambitions, Algeria has maintained its social welfare commitments, claiming that citizens continue to enjoy free access to education and healthcare, along with government-supported efforts to ensure decent housing for all.
Mezoued’s message highlighted both the historical significance of Algeria’s struggle for independence and the nation’s forward-looking drive toward modernization and prosperity.
On his part, the Speaker of Nigeria’s House of Representatives, Rt. Hon. Tajudeen Abbas expressed the country’s commitment to deepening diplomatic and parliamentary cooperation with Algeria as both nations continue to strengthen their longstanding ties.
The Speaker, who was represented by the Chairman of the Nigeria–Algeria Parliamentary Friendship Group Committee, Hon. Abubakar Babazango, in goodwill message described the anniversary as a moment of deep significance for Algeria and the entire African continent. He paid tribute to the courage and resilience of the Algerian people, whose struggle for liberation, launched 71 years ago, remains “an enduring symbol of hope” for oppressed peoples worldwide.
He said: “This day reminds us of the unity and sacrifice of the Algerian people who rose with determination to reclaim their freedom and dignity.”
He highlighted the strong diplomatic ties between Nigeria and Algeria, noting that both countries share a history of solidarity and a common vision for peace, development, and prosperity in Africa. He emphasized the role of the Nigeria–Algeria Parliamentary Friendship Group in fostering collaboration across key sectors, including trade, education, energy, and cultural exchange.
He said: “As we mark this historic occasion, may the friendship between Nigeria and Algeria continue to grow in unity and progress.”
The event was attended by members of the diplomatic corps, government officials, legislators, and other distinguished guests.
Algeria Calls for Continued Development, Stronger Ties with Nigeria
-
News2 years agoRoger Federer’s Shock as DNA Results Reveal Myla and Charlene Are Not His Biological Children
-
Opinions4 years agoTHE PLIGHT OF FARIDA
-
Opinions4 years agoPOLICE CHARGE ROOMS, A MINTING PRESS
-
News2 years agoEYN: Rev. Billi, Distortion of History, and The Living Tamarind Tree
-
News7 months agoFAILED COUP IN BURKINA FASO: HOW TRAORÉ NARROWLY ESCAPED ASSASSINATION PLOT AMID FOREIGN INTERFERENCE CLAIMS
-
ACADEMICS2 years agoA History of Biu” (2015) and The Lingering Bura-Pabir Question (1)
-
Columns2 years agoArmy University Biu: There is certain interest, but certainly not from Borno.
-
Opinions2 years agoTinubu,Shettima: The epidemic of economic, insecurity in Nigeria
