News
Court remands TikToker over false obituary video of President Tinubu
Court remands TikToker over false obituary video of President Tinubu
By: Zagazola Makama
A Chief Magistrate Court in Abuja has ordered the remand of a social media influencer, Ghali Isma’il, at the Keffi Correctional Centre for allegedly publishing a false video announcing the death of President Bola Tinubu.
Zagazola Makama learnt that the Department of State Services (DSS) arrested Isma’il following a video he uploaded on his verified TikTok handle, @bola_asiwaju, in which he claimed that the President had died after allegedly being poisoned.
The 29-year-old suspect, a native of Jogana Village in Gezawa Local Government Area of Kano State, was arraigned on a two-count charge bordering on publication of false news and inciting disaffection against the government.
The first count, titled Publication of false news with intent to cause offence against public peace, stated that Isma’il, on or about July 20, 2025, falsely claimed in the video that he had confirmed from official sources that President Tinubu was critically ill, allegedly after being poisoned. The charge added that the intent was to cause public alarm and disturb the peace.
The offence, according to the prosecution, is punishable under Section 418 of the Penal Code Act, Cap P3, Laws of the Federation of Nigeria, 2004.
The second count, Inciting disaffection to the government, accused the defendant of attempting to bring contempt or incite feelings of disaffection against the President by spreading falsehood. The prosecution cited Section 416 of the Penal Code as the relevant legal provision.
The presiding magistrate, Ekpeyong Iyang, after listening to submissions by the prosecution and the defence, denied the bail application filed by Isma’il’s counsel.
He ordered the accused to be remanded at the Keffi Correctional Centre pending the continuation of trial, which was adjourned till August 19.
Isma’il’s arraignment came days after a U.S.-based professor of journalism, Farooq Kperogi, apologised for publishing a false report alleging that former President Muhammadu Buhari and his wife, Aisha, were divorced at the time of his death.
In a similar development, Finnish-based separatist agitator, Simon Ekpa, is currently standing trial in Finland for terrorism-related charges stemming from online broadcasts supporting Biafran separatism.
Prosecutors in Finland are seeking a six-year prison sentence for Ekpa, whose online activities, they argue, constitute terrorism under Finnish law.
Last week, in Abuja, Nnamdi Kanu, leader of the proscribed Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), told a Federal High Court that his online broadcasts were mere jokes, despite prosecution claims that the content led to the deaths of hundreds.
Court remands TikToker over false obituary video of President Tinubu
News
Yobe: Wali visits Emir of Damaturu
Yobe: Wali visits Emir of Damaturu
By: Yahaya Wakili
Yobe State All Progressives Congress (APC), 2027 gubernatorial candidate Alhaji Baba Malam Wali MNI, FCAN, has paid a courtesy visit to His Royal Highness, the Emir of Damaturu, Alhaji Shehu Hashimi II Ibn Umar Al-Amin El-Kanemi, at his palace in Damaturu.
During the visit, the APC governorship candidate, Alhaji Baba Malam Wali MNI, said they were at the emir’s palace to solicit the prayers and blessings of the emir.
According to Baba Wali, “We are in the race; therefore, the visit was very significant. We need the prayers of the royal fathers and leaders because they were very vital and important at this crucial time.
Responding, His Royal Highness, the emir of Damaturu, Alhaji Shehu Hashimi II Ibn Al-Amin El-Kanemi, thanked the governorship candidate for the visit and prayed Almighty Allah (SWT) would guide and protect him throughout his struggle in his life.
Those accompanying the incoming governor, Inshallah, in 2027 during the visit are his deputy, Barrister Saleh Samanja; APC State chairman, Alhaji Mohammed Gadaka; and Madakin Gudi.
Others are Alhaji Aji Yarima Bularafa, Hon. Commissioner of the Ministry of Wealth Creation, Empowerment, and Employment Generation; Hon. Nasiru Hassan Yusuf, candidate for the Federal House of Representatives, representing Damaturu, Gujba, Gulani, and Tarmuwa local government areas; and others.
The emir conferred the traditional title of Mukaddam of the Damaturu emirate council on Alhaji Baba Malam Wali, mni, and fcan, respectively.
Yobe: Wali visits Emir of Damaturu
News
Fire Razes Building Material Shops in Satellite Town, Lagos
Fire Razes Building Material Shops in Satellite Town, Lagos
By Zagazola Makama
LAGOS — A fire outbreak has destroyed several building material shops along Fin-Niger, Satellite Town, Lagos State.
The incident occurred at about 6:10 a.m. on Aug. 18, when a distress call was received reporting a fire outbreak in the area.
Following the alert, a team of policemen and firefighters was swiftly mobilised to the scene.
The fire affected building material shops located at 58/196 Old Ojo Road, along Fin-Niger, Satellite Town.
The emergency responders successfully contained and extinguished the fire, preventing it from spreading further.
No casualty or loss of life was recorded in the incident.
The cause of the fire and the estimated value of property destroyed have not yet been established.
The police said investigation into the incident is ongoing to determine the circumstances surrounding the outbreak.
Fire Razes Building Material Shops in Satellite Town, Lagos
News
24 Bandits Killed As Army, DSS, Vigilantes Foil Mass Kidnap in Katsina Community, Rescue Victims
24 Bandits Killed As Army, DSS, Vigilantes Foil Mass Kidnap in Katsina Community, Rescue Victims
By: Zagazola Makama
At least 24 bandits were killed on Tuesday after soldiers of the Nigerian Army, operatives of the Department of State Services (DSS), Katsina Community Watch Corps foiled an attempt to mass-kidnap persons in Gidan Bawa village, Kandarawa Ward, Bakori Local Government Area of the state.
According to a security source, the operation followed sustained intelligence which uncovered plans by about 40 gunmen loyal to notorious bandit kingpin, Isiya Kwashen Garwa, to invade the village and abduct many residents, especially women and children.
The plot, sources said, was intended to replicate the mass abduction of residents of Woro community in Kwara State, ostensibly to embarrass the government.
Acting swiftly on the intelligence, DSS operatives mobilised the Community Watch Corps, and the Civilian Joint Task Force (CJTF) from Guga camp, and ambushed the bandits.
The source disclosed that the joint security operatives neutralised 24 bandits and rescued the abducted villagers.
Security operatives also recovered 19 stolen cattle from the community during the raid.
The source added that there were ongoing efforts to track down the fleeing bandits.
24 Bandits Killed As Army, DSS, Vigilantes Foil Mass Kidnap in Katsina Community, Rescue Victims
-
News2 years agoRoger Federer’s Shock as DNA Results Reveal Myla and Charlene Are Not His Biological Children
-
Opinions5 years agoTHE PLIGHT OF FARIDA
-
News1 year agoFAILED COUP IN BURKINA FASO: HOW TRAORÉ NARROWLY ESCAPED ASSASSINATION PLOT AMID FOREIGN INTERFERENCE CLAIMS
-
News2 years agoEYN: Rev. Billi, Distortion of History, and The Living Tamarind Tree
-
Opinions5 years agoPOLICE CHARGE ROOMS, A MINTING PRESS
-
ACADEMICS2 years agoA History of Biu” (2015) and The Lingering Bura-Pabir Question (1)
-
Columns2 years agoArmy University Biu: There is certain interest, but certainly not from Borno.
-
Politics1 year ago2027: Why Hon. Midala Balami Must Go, as Youths in Hawul and Asikira/Uba Federal Constituency Reject ₦500,000 as Sallah Gift
