Uncategorized
FG Moves To Curb Flood Disasters, Climate-Induced Crises As VP Shettima Launches Preemptive Action Plan
FG Moves To Curb Flood Disasters, Climate-Induced Crises As VP Shettima Launches Preemptive Action Plan
By: Our Reporter
As the rainy season sets in, with its attendant torrential downpour, the federal government has taken proactive steps to prevent flooding through strategic measures to enhance disaster preparedness and risk management across the country.
To this effect, Vice President Kashim Shettima on Wednesday launched Nigeria’s Anticipatory Action Framework, designed to shift disaster management from reactive responses to proactive preparedness by leveraging early warnings, local empowerment, and pre-arranged financing to save lives and livelihoods.
A key component of the strategy involves establishing a dedicated trigger group comprising meteorological and emergency management agencies that will synthesise data to enable forecasts up to two weeks in advance.
Speaking during a framework validation workshop held at the National Counter Terrorism Centre (NCTC), Office of the National Security Adviser in Abuja, VP Shettima described the framework as a timely intervention to confront the rising threats of climate-induced disasters such as floods, which affected over five million Nigerians in 2024.
“These disasters are no longer distant threats. They are here, knocking at our doors, sweeping through our streets, flooding our homes, and testing not only our moral sensitivity but the depth of our preparation,” he said.
The Vice President stressed the urgent need to dump the costly and inadequate reactive approach to disasters for a more proactive measure.
He stated, “For decades, our response has been reactive. We wait for the waters to rise, for the homes to vanish, and then we scramble for relief. This late arrival of support costs more and saves fewer lives.
“We lose close to 5% of our GDP every year to reactive disaster responses. This approach is not only unsustainable, it is also deeply unjust to the most vulnerable among us. This is why we must act before disasters unfold”.
The VP explained that the new framework is built on three strategic pillars, including “early warning systems powered by satellite technology and delivered through community-based networks to provide life-saving information in real time.
“The second is pre-triggered financing. No plan can succeed without resources made available before the storm arrives. The third is localised preparedness.
“Studies have shown that anticipatory action can reduce losses by up to 60 per cent. That is not just a statistic. It is hope. It is the future of millions salvaged before ruin,” he added.
Senator Shettima drew instances from Benue State where trained volunteers, responding to early warning alerts, evacuated over 80,000 people within 72 hours.
“That is what it means to build early warning systems that work. It’s not just about integrating forecasting tools, but delivering timely alerts in languages our people understand,” the Vice President stated.
He explained that the trigger group is composed of national agencies, including NiMet, NiHSA, NEMA, NASRDA, and NOA, working in collaboration with UNOCHA, WFP, FAO, and the IFRC.
“We cannot leave here with only communiqués and good intentions. We must take ownership of this framework, embed it into our institutions, and stay accountable to its promise,” the Vice President told participants at the workshop.
Earlier in his keynote address, the Minister of Humanitarian Affairs and Disaster Management, Professor Nentawe Yilwatda, said the Tinubu administration is committed to supporting the operationalisation of the Anticipatory Action Framework for Nigeria.
He stressed the need for response agencies and intervention organisations to utilise the National Social Register to lay the foundation for a flood-resistant nation, noting that the register is a national resilience infrastructure.
The Minister recommended the enactment of a risk management and data sharing protocol, the establishment of a national risk and sustainable coordination centre, early funding for anticipatory actions, and the deployment of technology to enable real-time monitoring of situations across the country.
On his part, the United Nations Resident and Humanitarian Coordinator, Nigeria, Mohamed Malick Fall, commended Nigeria for taking the bold step in leading the institutionalisation of coordinated humanitarian response to disasters in the region.
According to him, the rest of West Africa is looking up to what is being done in Nigeria, as successes recorded in the country will permeate the rest of the region.
In his welcome remarks, the National Security Adviser, Mallam Nuhu Ribadu, said the workshop is a crucial step towards building a resilient and progressive nation, emphasising that poorly managed disasters can exacerbate insecurity, enable displacement, disrupt critical infrastructure and deepen societal fragilities.
He also noted that efforts aimed at strengthening the anticipatory capacity of the nation are a priority of the Tinubu administration, as it is essential in sustaining lives and securing national assets, among other goals.
On her part, the Special Assistant to the President on Humanitarian Affairs and Development Partners, Mrs Inna Audu, said the workshop was designed to accelerate the country’s journey towards a national early warning system that is integrated, inclusive, and anticipatory.
She noted that President Tinubu and Vice President Shettima are deeply committed to building a disaster-resilient Nigeria, stressing that the time for piecemeal responses was over and that stakeholders must shift to systems thinking where data, people, and policies are interconnected, and where foresight guides interventions.
There were also goodwill messages from the European Union and representatives of response agencies, development partners, Civil Society Organisations and the private sector, among others.
FG Moves To Curb Flood Disasters, Climate-Induced Crises As VP Shettima Launches Preemptive Action Plan
Uncategorized
NDLEA Intercepts Cocaine, Opioids Hidden in Carton Walls Bound for UK, Australia
NDLEA Intercepts Cocaine, Opioids Hidden in Carton Walls Bound for UK, Australia
By: Michael Mike
The National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) has intercepted consignments of cocaine and opioids concealed in carton walls and destined for the United Kingdom and Australia, as the agency intensified its nationwide crackdown on drug trafficking and abuse.
The seizures were made by NDLEA operatives at a courier company in Lagos on Friday during the examination of export shipments. According to the agency, 170 grammes of cocaine carefully sealed in cellophane parcels were discovered hidden within the walls of a carton containing clothes bound for Australia.
In another shipment heading to the United Kingdom, the spokesman of the anti-narcotics agency, Femi Babafemi in a statement on Sunday, said officers uncovered a cache of opioids, including 200 ampoules of pentazocine injection, 1,100 capsules of tramadol, and 100 ampoules of promethazine injection concealed in a carton.

The anti-narcotics agency also recorded major breakthroughs in Delta State, where operatives raided forests and cannabis farms in separate operations supported by military personnel.
At Ejeonu village in Ukwuani Local Government Area, NDLEA officers destroyed 27,500 kilogrammes of skunk cultivated on 11 hectares of farmland and recovered an additional 22.9 kilogrammes of the substance. A suspect, 52-year-old Ifeanyichukwu Peter, was later arrested during a follow-up operation in Obiaruku.
Similarly, operatives raided Orogun village in Ughelli North Local Government Area, destroying another 37,500 kilogrammes of skunk grown on 15 hectares of farmland while recovering 55.4 kilogramsmes of the illicit drug. Thirty-year-old Godwin Vincent Osadera was arrested in connection with the operation.
The agency said the two operations resulted in the destruction of a total of 65,000 kilogrammes of skunk.
In Kaduna State, NDLEA operatives arrested 42-year-old Husaini Suleiman after recovering 361 kilogrammes of skunk during a raid at Dan Magaji area of Zaria town.
In a separate operation along the Abuja-Kaduna highway, officers intercepted 1,989 rounds of RLA 7.62mm ammunition concealed inside sacks of fresh cassava granules, popularly known as garri. The suspect, identified as 35-year-old Abdullahi Hassan, was apprehended while transporting the ammunition. NDLEA said both the suspect and the recovered ammunition had been transferred to another security agency for further investigation.

In the Federal Capital Territory, operatives arrested a 29-year-old businessman, Ogadi Peter, alleged to specialize in producing drug-laced cakes and cookies for parties and social gatherings.
The suspect was arrested at his residence in the Life Camp area of Abuja following intelligence reports. Officers recovered 800 grammes of skunk and 2.7 kilogrammes of drug-infused cookies from the premises.
Elsewhere, NDLEA operatives in Ogun State recovered 181 kilogrammes of skunk from a suspect, Aliyu Sani, during a raid in the Ogere area.
In Taraba State, 27-year-old Sufiyanu Mohammed Misa was arrested along the Zaki-Biam road in Wukari Local Government Area with 105,850 pills of opioids, including tramadol, diazepam, and exol-5.
Two suspects, Adeleke Aliyah, 20, and Aloba Abdulazeez, 25, were also arrested in Saki town, Oyo State, in connection with the seizure of 99 litres of skuchies, a cocktail of illicit substances.
In Edo State, NDLEA officers destroyed 1,388.4175 kilogrammes of skunk on two farms during a raid on Ago forest in Orhionmwon Local Government Area.
In Kano State, operatives recovered 1.2 kilogrammes of tramaking 225mg pills concealed in a 25-litre jerry can of palm oil at Kofar Ruwa motor park. Another suspect, Aminu Isa, was arrested with 30.5 kilogrammes of skunk at Sabuwar Sharada area of the state.
Beyond enforcement operations, the agency said its War Against Drug Abuse (WADA) sensitization campaign continued across the country with awareness lectures delivered in schools in Oyo, Niger, Lagos, Katsina, Ekiti, and Kano states.
Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of the NDLEA, Buba Marwa, commended officers of the agency’s commands in Delta, Kaduna, Oyo, Taraba, Kano, the FCT, and Edo states for the successful operations.
He assured that the agency remained committed to sustaining a balance between reducing drug supply and intensifying drug demand reduction campaigns nationwide.
NDLEA Intercepts Cocaine, Opioids Hidden in Carton Walls Bound for UK, Australia
Uncategorized
PAIMUN President Calls for Urgent Action to Bridge Digital Divide in Education
PAIMUN President Calls for Urgent Action to Bridge Digital Divide in Education
By: Michael Mike
The Presdent of the General Assembly of the Premiere Academy International Model United Nations (PAIMUN) 2026, H.E. Timilehin Adewuyi, has called on governments, international organisations and private institutions to intensify efforts toward bridging the digital divide and expanding access to technology-driven education across the world.p

Speaking during the second session of the PAIMUN General Assembly held at the United Nations House in Abuja, Adewuyi described digital transformation in education as a critical tool for achieving sustainable development and preparing future generations for global leadership.
Addressing delegates, diplomats and education stakeholders, the PAIMUN President said the world has entered an era where education can no longer remain dependent on traditional methods, stressing that technology has become central to building inclusive, innovative and sustainable societies.
“It is my profound privilege, as President of the General Assembly, to address this august gathering on the topic: ‘Digital Transformation of the Educational Sector as a Driver of Sustainable Development,’” he stated.

According to him, digital innovation has fundamentally changed the way knowledge is accessed, shared and applied globally, opening new opportunities for students to learn beyond geographical and economic limitations.
He noted that digital classrooms, virtual libraries, artificial intelligence and online learning platforms are equipping young people with critical 21st-century skills such as creativity, collaboration, problem-solving and digital literacy.
Adewuyi stressed that these skills are essential for achieving the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and positioning young people to compete effectively in the global economy.
Despite the growing opportunities presented by technology, the PAIMUN President warned that millions of students, particularly in developing countries, still face severe barriers due to poor internet connectivity, lack of electricity and inadequate access to digital devices.
He said sustainable development would remain unattainable if educational opportunities continue to be unequal across regions and social groups.
“Governments, international organizations, and private institutions must work collectively to bridge the digital divide and ensure that no learner is left behind in this technological revolution,” he said.
Adewuyi further described digital education as more than an innovation, calling it a strategic investment in humanity’s future.
He urged delegates at the conference to remain committed to policies that promote responsible and inclusive technology adoption in education systems worldwide.
“By embracing technology responsibly and inclusively, we empower the next generation to drive economic growth, social progress and environmental sustainability,” he added.
The PAIMUN conference, hosted by Premiere Academy, brought together student delegates simulating the United Nations General Assembly to debate global issues and propose solutions through diplomacy, dialogue and policy engagement.
The event focused extensively on how digital transformation can strengthen education systems, reduce inequalities and accelerate sustainable development across nations.
PAIMUN President Calls for Urgent Action to Bridge Digital Divide in Education
Uncategorized
Troops Neutralise Two Terrorists in Night Ambush Operation in Borno
Troops Neutralise Two Terrorists in Night Ambush Operation in Borno
By: Zagazola Makama
Troops of the Joint Task Force North-East, Operation Hadin Kai (OPHK), have neutralised two suspected terrorists during a night ambush operation in Konduga Local Government Area of Borno State.
Security sources said the operation, conducted under Operation Desert Sanity/Siege Operations, took place at about 11:05 p.m. on May 13, 2026, at Bazamri village, a location identified as a major crossing point for members of the ISWAP.

According to the sources, troops laying ambush at the location intercepted and engaged the terrorists in a firefight, resulting in the neutralisation of two insurgents.
Following the encounter, troops carried out exploitation of the area and recovered several items suspected to be logistics supplies for the terrorists.
Recovered items included 54 packs of 80-gram detergent, 32 packs of 500-gram salt and one carton of spaghetti.
Military authorities confirmed that no casualty was recorded among the troops during the operation.
The ambush team was said to have subsequently changed position and continued surveillance and waiting operations in the area as part of sustained offensive actions against terrorist movements.
Security sources added that troops’ morale and fighting efficiency remained satisfactory, while offensive operations across the theatre continued.
Troops Neutralise Two Terrorists in Night Ambush Operation in Borno
-
News2 years agoRoger Federer’s Shock as DNA Results Reveal Myla and Charlene Are Not His Biological Children
-
Opinions4 years agoTHE PLIGHT OF FARIDA
-
News1 year agoFAILED COUP IN BURKINA FASO: HOW TRAORÉ NARROWLY ESCAPED ASSASSINATION PLOT AMID FOREIGN INTERFERENCE CLAIMS
-
News2 years agoEYN: Rev. Billi, Distortion of History, and The Living Tamarind Tree
-
Opinions4 years agoPOLICE CHARGE ROOMS, A MINTING PRESS
-
ACADEMICS2 years agoA History of Biu” (2015) and The Lingering Bura-Pabir Question (1)
-
Columns2 years agoArmy University Biu: There is certain interest, but certainly not from Borno.
-
Opinions2 years agoTinubu,Shettima: The epidemic of economic, insecurity in Nigeria
