Connect with us

Crime

ICPC charges ex-AFN Secretary-General over alleged $150,000 fraud

Published

on

ICPC charges ex-AFN Secretary-General over alleged $150,000 fraud

ICPC charges ex-AFN Secretary-General over alleged $150,000 fraud

The Independent Corrupt Practices and other related offences Commission (ICPC) has arraigned a former Secretary-General of the Athletic Federation of Nigeria (AFN), Amaechi Akawu, over his alleged role in a $150,000 scam.

According to a statement by the ICPC spokesperson, Azuka Ogugwa, Mr Akawo was arraigned by the commission at the Federal High Court in Abuja on Friday, February 4.

He was arraigned before the trial judge, Inyang Ekwo, on charges of corruption, including money laundering and fraudulent diversion of public funds.

The anti-corruption agency had accused the former Secretary-General of diverting funds released by the International Association of Athletics Federation (IAAF) for the successful hosting of the CAA Grand Prix Competition in Delta State, also known as the 2017 Warri Relay Competition.

The defendant allegedly committed the offences in July and August 2017, when he was said to have diverted sums of money from the Federal Ministry of Youth and Sports Development for personal use.

The ICPC alleged that Mr Akawo actions violated Sections 1 (a) and 16 (1) (d) of the Money Laundering Prohibition Act, 2011 and are punishable under relevant sections of the same Act.

Akawo pleaded not guilty to all the charges and then filed for bail.

ICPC prosecutor, Mashkur Salisu, did not object to the bail application but urged the court to grant him bail on stringent terms to ensure the defendant attends his trial.

In the ruling, the trial judge, Mr Ekwo, granted bail to the defendant in the sum of N15 million, with one surety. The judge ordered that the surety must have landed property within the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), and must deposit his passport with the court registry.

The case was thereafter adjourned until May 16 and fixed May 17 to 18, 2022 for further trial dates

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Crime

Police Arrest Two Suspected One-Chance Robbery Syndicate Members in Lagos

Published

on

Police Arrest Two Suspected One-Chance Robbery Syndicate Members in Lagos

By Zagazola Makama

The Lagos State Police Command has arrested two suspected members of a “one-chance” robbery syndicate over the alleged theft of a commercial tricycle in the Ojo area of the state.

The suspects, identified as Emeka Obi, 51, from Enugu State, and John Eze, 54, from Anambra State, were arrested at about 7 a.m. on Aug. 17 in the Iyana-Iba area of Ojo.

The suspects allegedly hired a tricycle belonging to a man identified as Ekene on Aug. 16, claiming they needed transportation to a hospital where their wife had delivered a newborn baby.

However, during the journey, the suspects allegedly stopped at a beer parlour around Kila Bus Stop, Ejigbo, where they took alcohol.

The report said the suspects subsequently asked the tricycle rider to purchase cigarettes.

While the rider was away, the suspects allegedly laced his drink with an unidentified substance.

The rider reportedly became unconscious and, upon regaining consciousness, discovered that his tricycle, with registration number KTU-334-QS, had been taken.

Following police investigation, the two suspects were arrested and the stolen tricycle was recovered and registered as an exhibit.

The suspects remain in police custody as investigation continues to establish their alleged roles and determine whether they are linked to other “one-chance” robbery incidents in Lagos.

Police Arrest Two Suspected One-Chance Robbery Syndicate Members in Lagos

Continue Reading

Crime

Troops Arrest Suspected Bandits’ Informant in Katsina

Published

on

Troops Arrest Suspected Bandits’ Informant in Katsina

By Zagazola Makama

KATSINA — Troops have arrested an 18-year-old suspected informant for armed bandits after he was found allegedly gathering information on the deployment and capabilities of security forces in Musawa Local Government Area of Katsina State.

The arrest followed credible intelligence on the movement of armed bandits around the Katsina-Kano border, prompting troops to maintain blocking positions and surveillance across their area of responsibility.

According to a Special Situation Report obtained by Zagazola Makama, locals in Tsaure alerted troops at about 10:25 a.m. on Aug. 19 after observing a suspicious young man identified as Sa’adu Sama, from Girtaji village in Musawa LGA.

The suspect was reportedly seen loitering around the community and asking children questions about the deployment of troops, including their strength, vehicles, motorcycles and equipment.

The children quickly reported the suspicious activity to community elders, who subsequently alerted troops of the Forward Operating Base in Tsaure.

The troops immediately moved in and arrested the suspect.

Security sources said the suspect was subsequently moved to the Brigade Headquarters for further interrogation and investigation.

The arrest highlights the importance of community vigilance and timely information-sharing between residents and security forces in disrupting criminal networks and preventing bandit attacks.

The security situation around the Forward Operating Bases and Joint Task Force locations was described as calm, while troops continued monitoring activities in the area.

The morale and fighting spirit of the troops were also reported to remain high.

Troops Arrest Suspected Bandits’ Informant in Katsina

Continue Reading

Crime

Troops Foil Kidnap Attempt, Rescue Four Minors in Plateau

Published

on

Troops Foil Kidnap Attempt, Rescue Four Minors in Plateau

By Zagazola Makama

Troops of Sector 1, Operation ENDURING PEACE, have foiled an attempted kidnapping and rescued four minors in Agingi, Bassa Local Government Area of Plateau State.

The incident occurred at about 5:45 p.m. on Aug. 17, when troops responded to a report that four children had been targeted by suspected kidnappers while returning from the farm.

The troops’ swift intervention forced the criminals to flee, leading to the rescue of the victims.

The rescued minors were identified as Happy Pius, 15; David Monday, 13; Mercy Pius, 14; and Joy Monday, 13.

The victims were subsequently reunited with their families, while security forces commenced efforts to track down and apprehend the fleeing suspects.

The successful intervention underscores the importance of rapid military response and community alerts in preventing criminal elements from abducting vulnerable residents in rural communities.

Troops Foil Kidnap Attempt, Rescue Four Minors in Plateau

Continue Reading

Trending

Verified by MonsterInsights