Connect with us

News

Lone PDP Member in Yobe House of Assembly Defects to APC

Published

on

Lone PDP Member in Yobe House of Assembly Defects to APC

By: Michael Mike

Yobe state Governor, Hon. Mai Mala Buni has received Hon. Lawan Musa Majakura, the lone member of the Peoples’ Democratic Party (PDP) in the state House of Assembly who defected to the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC).

The governor while receiving the lawmaker into the APC fold, described him as a young and vibrant politician with huge potentials.

He said: “Politics is about service to the people, l am impressed with your commitment to serve your constituency effectively.

“I am also impressed with the calibre of people that accompany you to this event, it shows your acceptance by these group of credible politicians” he said.

Earlier, Hon. Lawan Musa Majakura said he was convinced to leave PDP for APC because of the commendable efforts of the Buni administration in providing infrastructure to the people of his constituency.

He said the construction of roads, housing estate, medical facilities and others have transformed communities in his constituency.

“I want to join hands with you and support you in serving my constituency to improve the lives of my people.

“I am convinced that we can achieve more if l am on the same page with you in the APC, it will benefit the people of my constituency better” Hon. Majakura said.

Also speaking, the Speaker Yobe state House of Assembly, Hon. Chiroma Buba Mashio, described the lawmaker as very outstanding in defending the interest of his people.

“Hon. Lawan Musa Majakura, has demonstrated serious commitment to defending the interest of his people on the floors of the assembly.

“His defection to the APC is an advantage to the party and the government of Yobe state” the Speaker said.

Lone PDP Member in Yobe House of Assembly Defects to APC

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Five Militants Killed in Attack Near Ayorou as Local Official Abducted in Niger Republic

Published

on

Five Militants Killed in Attack Near Ayorou as Local Official Abducted in Niger Republic

By: Zagazola Makama

At least five local militia members were killed following an attack by suspected Islamic State-linked gunmen in Seno village near Ayorou in Niger Republic’s Tillabéri region.

Local sources said the attack occurred at about 6:00 p.m. on May 17, 2026, when armed militants stormed the village, located approximately six kilometres from Ayorou, and targeted traders and local security volunteers operating in the area.

According to preliminary reports, at least five members of local self-defence groups engaged in securing the community were killed during the assault.

The incident came hours after the reported abduction of a local official identified as Moussa Koukou, said to be the perimeter manager of Diomana.

Sources disclosed that Koukou was kidnapped at about 11:00 a.m. while travelling in a Toyota RAV4 vehicle within the area.

Security sources believe the attack and abduction may be linked to ongoing activities of extremist groups affiliated with the Islamic State operating across the volatile Tillabéri region near the borders with Mali and Burkina Faso.

No official statement had been issued by Nigerien authorities as of the time of filing this report, while monitoring and security operations were said to be ongoing in the affected communities.

Five Militants Killed in Attack Near Ayorou as Local Official Abducted in Niger Republic

Continue Reading

News

Primaries: Aspirants protest imposition of Reps candidates in Adamawa

Published

on

Primaries: Aspirants protest imposition of Reps candidates in Adamawa

The Forum of House of Representatives Aspirants of Numan /Demsa/Lamurde Federal Constituency under the platform of All Progressives Congress (APC) in Adamawa has protested what it described as imposition of candidates in the just concluded primary elections in the state.

Speaking during the peaceful protest in Numan Local Government Area, Adamawa, Vrati Nzonzo, the spokesperson of the Forum said, the committee responsible for the conduct of the exercise and the party officials failed to abide by the rules of the game.

Nzonzo said the rules for electing candidates were through consensus or direct primaries but stressed that none of the rules were observed.

According to him, with what happened, their mandate was stolen and given to someone who did not deserve the candidacy.

“The election was supposed to be Consensus or Direct primaries but we opposed the consensus and there were no direct primaries across the Constituency”, he said.

PNzonzo called on the National Chairman APC and Governor Ahmadu Fintiri to ensure justice and fairness for the victory of the party else they threatened that they won’t vote for the party at the general elections.

Justina Nkon another aspirant also condemned the conduct of the primary election across the constituency.

According to her, the electorate were at the venue of the primaries from 8:00a.m and no officials showed up until 2:00 p.m and later on they said they had conducted the election without seeing any election materials.

She urged Fintiri to live up to the promise he made at the time of his campaign that he would not betray the people in the state.

“It’s now under your watch as the leader of the party we are witnessing the undemocratic process of primary elections by enforcing candidates who have not been elected by the people in the Constituency”, she said.

According to her, the so-called primary elections are unconstitutional, hence the need to conduct a free, fair and credible primary elections.

Usoko ken-Supule, another aspirant, demanded justice and fairness for every aspirant and for the progress of the party in the constituency, state and the country at large.
“We want justice for the progress of the party and without fairness there is no progress, therefore we are respectful party loyalists.

“We are not happy in view of what happened and we are disappointed; we are calling on the party leadership and the state governor to consider the plight of the masses”, he said.

Primaries: Aspirants protest imposition of Reps candidates in Adamawa

Continue Reading

News

Zulum Assures Immediate Relief Items, Dignified Resettlement of Displaced Persons in Monguno

Published

on

Zulum Assures Immediate Relief Items, Dignified Resettlement of Displaced Persons in Monguno

By: Our Reporter

Borno State Governor, Professor Babagana Umara Zulum, has assured displaced communities affected by insecurity that the government is working closely with the Nigerian military hierarchy to provide immediate humanitarian and long-term support.

Governor Zulum gave the assurance when he visited displaced persons in Monguno town on Sunday, reaffirming his administration’s commitment to ensuring dignified resettlement back to their ancestral communities.

While at the IDP camp, the governor interacted directly with displaced families as women, children and elderly residents gathered around him while he listened to their concerns.

“We have examined the situation critically alongside the hierarchy of the Nigerian military, and it has been concluded that we shall provide immediate humanitarian support to these displaced communities, especially in the areas of water, shelter, and sanitation,” Zulum stated.

“Apart from this, we shall also ensure that medium and longer-term sustainable solutions are being adopted, which is acceptable to this community and their ancestral home,” he said.

“We will improve the living conditions of the displaced persons; we will not allow our citizens to endure such hardship without urgent government intervention.”

He also urged residents to cooperate with security agencies by reporting suspicious movements and activities within their communities, noting that sustaining peace and security requires collective responsibility.

“Security is everybody’s business. Communities must continue to support security agencies with timely and useful information,” the governor stated.

Governor Zulum disclosed that there are over 50,000 returnees in Marte, stressing that plans were underway to facilitate the return of more displaced persons to the town as part of the medium and longer-term solution.

He immediately directed the Secretary to the State Government, the Commissioner for Local Government, the Commissioner for Internal Security, and the Chairman of Marte Local Government Area to work out the modalities for implementing the recommendations adopted.

The governor sympathized with the people affected by the recent insecurity and reaffirmed the government’s commitment to supporting them.

As part of the visit, Governor Zulum also met with health workers at the Monguno Eye Hospital, commending them for continuing to provide medical services despite difficult working conditions and limited resources. He announced financial support to improve their welfare and encourage greater commitment to healthcare delivery in the area.

The governor also visited the Commanding Officer of Forward Operation Base (FOB) Mairari for a security brief.

Governor Zulum was accompanied by the Senator representing Borno North, Senator Mohanmed Tahir Monguno; Speaker of Borno State House of Assembly, Rt. Hon. Abdulkarim Lawan, Member Representing Marte, Monguno, Nganzai, Hon. Bukar Talba, Secretary to the state government, Bukar Tijani, Commissioner for Information and Internal Security, Prof. Usman Tar, Commissioner for Local Government and Emirate Affairs, Hon. Sugun Mai Mele, alongside other government officials.

Zulum Assures Immediate Relief Items, Dignified Resettlement of Displaced Persons in Monguno

Continue Reading

Trending

Verified by MonsterInsights