International
Russia imposes ban on Airlines from entering 36 countries
Russia imposes ban on Airlines from entering 36 countries
Russia in a retaliatory move has imposed a sweeping ban on airlines from 36 countries.
The ban was announced on Monday by the state aviation agency, following a decision by the EU and Canada over the weekend to close their skies to Russian planes.
Rosaviatsitsia, Russia’s state aviation agency, said flights from the 36 countries listed in the ban can only enter Russian airspace with special permission.
“A restriction has been imposed on flights for airlines of 36 countries in accordance with international law as a retaliatory measure for the ban imposed by the European states on the flights of commercial airliners operated by Russian airlines and/or registered in Russia”, Rosaviatsia said in a statement on Monday.
The tit-for-tat move is to affect carriers of Albania, Austria, Anguilla, Belgium, Bulgaria, British Virgin Islands, Great Britain, Hungary, Germany, Gibraltar, Greece, Jersey, Ireland, Iceland, Spain, Italy, Canada, the Greek Cypriot administration, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Finland, France, Croatia, Czechia, Sweden, Estonia, and Denmark, including Greenland and the Faroe Islands.
Since last Thursday, days after Russian recognition of two separatist-held enclaves in eastern Ukraine – Russia’s war on Ukraine has been met by an outcry from the international community, with the EU, UK, and the US implementing a range of economic sanctions against Russia.
Russia has been further isolated a number of its banks were kicked out of the SWIFT international banking system.
On Sunday, European Union (EU) chief Ursula von der Leyen had announced the 27-nation bloc’s decision to close their airspace to Russian airlines.
These restrictions were in addition to harsh sanctions imposed against Russian financial institutions and leaders. Some, including the US, EU, UK and Canada, have even imposed individual sanctions targeting Russian President Vladimir Putin and Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov.
READ ALSO: Saudi Arabian Foundation Plans To Feed 12,600 IDPs, Others During Ramadan
Growing tension between Russia and western nations over Russia’s invasion of Ukraine has so far had a modest impact on airlines, which are trying to recover from huge losses since the start of the Covid-19 pandemic.
They face jet-fuel prices that have climbed more than 50% since last summer and are likely to rise further because of sanctions against Russian oil and natural gas.
Airlines in the US and Europe are expecting to pack planes with transatlantic vacationers this summer. Helane Becker, an airline analyst for Cowen, said Friday that she continued to expect strong travel demand from the US to western Europe, but travel to eastern Europe “will be curtailed until there is some resolution or some assurance it won’t spread to other countries.”
International
NIGERIA AND CHINA: A PARTNERSHIP BUILT ON MUTUAL RESPECT, TRUST AND SHARED STRATEGIC INTEREST- NCSP
NIGERIA AND CHINA: A PARTNERSHIP BUILT ON MUTUAL RESPECT, TRUST AND SHARED STRATEGIC INTEREST- NCSP
By: Joseph Tegbe
When President Donald Trump arrived in Beijing alongside America’s most powerful business executives, the world was reminded that economic interdependence remains one of the most powerful forces in international relations. Beneath the trade and investment agenda, however, ran a question China has never left unanswered, the One-China Principle, and Beijing’s absolute, unwavering commitment to it.
For China, this is a matter of sovereign certainty. The People’s Republic of China is the world’s only legitimate Chinese government, and Taiwan is an inalienable part of its territory. This is not a position Beijing has hedged or softened across decades of shifting global politics. It is the bedrock on which China conducts its diplomacy and evaluates the reliability of its partners.
China’s consistency on this question reflects not inflexibility, but the depth of a national conviction rooted in history, sovereignty and the long arc of Chinese civilisation, and for nations that share these values, China has proven to be a committed and consequential partner.
Nigeria is one such nation. Since establishing diplomatic relations with Beijing in 1971, Nigeria has maintained a clear, principled and unbroken adherence to the One-China Principle.
This position flows directly from Nigeria’s own foreign policy tradition, grounded in respect for sovereignty, principle of non-interference and the belief that nations must be free to determine their own paths. Nigeria and China share a philosophical foundation that gives their relationship a depth that goes well beyond transactional interest.
That shared foundation received its most authoritative expression when President Bola Ahmed Tinubu met President Xi Jinping in Beijing in 2024. The joint statement was unequivocal: Nigeria affirmed adherence to the One-China Principle, recognised the Government of the People’s Republic of China as the sole legal authority representing the whole of China, regarded Taiwan as an inalienable part of Chinese territory, and expressed full support for China’s pursuit of national reunification.
These were not words of diplomatic courtesy. They were the deliberate reaffirmation of a partnership grounded in mutual respect and long-term strategic alignment.
Nigeria’s legislature has reinforced this position with equal clarity. Recently, the Hon Jafar Yakubu, Chairman of the House of Representatives Committee on China-Nigeria Parliamentary Relations recently confirmed that Nigeria’s stance is clear, consistent and firmly rooted in international law and bilateral agreements. Nigeria’s commitment to the One-China Principle is not the policy of one administration. It is a settled, cross-institutional expression of national conviction.
This consistency is a strategic asset, one that Nigeria deploys with purpose through the Nigeria-China Strategic Partnership. Five decades of diplomatic reliability have built a genuine reservoir of political trust with Beijing.
The NCSP’s mandate is to translate that trust into a new and more productive phase of economic cooperation: manufacturing investment, technology transfer, industrial development and export-oriented production that reflects Nigeria’s true scale and potential as Africa’s largest economy.
China has already contributed meaningfully to Nigeria’s railway corridors, port infrastructure, energy infrastructure, telecommunications networks and industrial capacity. However, the relationship can and must deliver more.
Nigeria’s digital economy, solid minerals sector, agro-processing capacity and consumer market all represent areas of deep mutual interest. With a transparent, results-oriented framework aligned with Nigeria’s national development priorities, the NCSP can move the partnership decisively from infrastructure financing toward genuine industrialisation.
NCSP continues to strengthen bilateral collaboration with China across trade, investment, technology transfer, infrastructure and capacity building, with a clear mandate to deliver measurable, tangible value to Nigeria’s economy.
Joseph Tegbe is the Director-General of Nigeria-China Strategic Partnership
NIGERIA AND CHINA: A PARTNERSHIP BUILT ON MUTUAL RESPECT, TRUST AND SHARED STRATEGIC INTEREST- NCSP
International
FBI Arrests Nigerian Extradited to U.S. Over Alleged $Romance Scam Targeting Elderly Victims
FBI Arrests Nigerian Extradited to U.S. Over Alleged $Romance Scam Targeting Elderly Victims
By: Michael Mike
Nigerian Extradited to U.S. as FBI Cracks Alleged International Romance Scam Network Targeting Elderly Americans
Michael Olugbode in Abuja
A Nigerian national, Samuel Ugberaese, has been extradited to the United States to face prosecution over an alleged international romance fraud and money laundering scheme that reportedly targeted elderly victims across the U.S. and other countries.
The arrest followed coordinated operations involving American and Nigerian law enforcement agencies, according to the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) and the U.S. Department of Justice.
Ugberaese was arrested by the FBI after being extradited from Nigeria to the United States, where he is now facing charges of conspiracy to commit wire fraud and conspiracy to commit money laundering before the U.S. District Court in North Carolina.
Authorities said a federal grand jury in the Eastern District of North Carolina had earlier returned an indictment against him on January 22, 2021.
According to court documents, Ugberaese and his alleged accomplices operated sophisticated romance scams in which victims were manipulated through fake emotional relationships, fabricated stories and false promises before being persuaded to transfer money.
Prosecutors alleged that the suspect collaborated with co-defendant Oluwadamilare Kolaogunbule, a naturalised U.S. citizen, to move and conceal proceeds of the alleged fraud through a network of bank accounts, including accounts linked to purported export companies.
Investigators claimed the financial transactions were designed to disguise the origin, ownership and movement of illicit funds obtained from victims.
Ugberaese appeared before United States Magistrate Judge Brian S. Myers, who ordered that he remain in custody pending trial.
If convicted on both counts, the Nigerian suspect could face up to 40 years imprisonment under U.S. federal law.
American authorities disclosed that the extradition process involved extensive international cooperation among several agencies, including the Federal Bureau of Investigation, the U.S. Department of State, the Nigeria Police Force through INTERPOL, Nigeria’s Ministry of Justice and Attorney General’s Office, as well as the South African Police Service.
The case is being prosecuted by Assistant U.S. Attorney Adam F. Hulbig of the Fraud Section in the Eastern District of North Carolina.
U.S. authorities, however, stressed that the indictment remains only an allegation and that Ugberaese is presumed innocent until proven guilty in court.
FBI Arrests Nigerian Extradited to U.S. Over Alleged $Romance Scam Targeting Elderly Victims
International
Qatar Rejects Iran’s Explanation for Missile Strikes, Says Attacks Hit Civilian Areas
Qatar Rejects Iran’s Explanation for Missile Strikes, Says Attacks Hit Civilian Areas
By: Michael Mike
Qatar has rejected explanations from Iran over recent missile strikes, insisting that evidence shows the attacks struck civilian areas and key infrastructure inside its territory.
The position was conveyed during a phone conversation between Qatar’s Prime Minister and Minister of Foreign Affairs, Mohammed bin Abdulrahman bin Jassim Al Thani, and Iran’s Foreign Minister, Abbas Araghchi, amid rising regional tensions.
According to a statement issued by the Qatar News Agency, the Iranian minister had argued that the missile strikes were directed at American interests and were not intended to target the State of Qatar.
However, Al Thani firmly rejected the claim, stressing that available evidence indicated that the strikes affected civilian and residential areas within Qatar, including locations near Hamad International Airport.
The Qatari prime minister further noted that the attacks also threatened critical infrastructure and industrial facilities, including installations linked to the country’s liquefied natural gas production—an industry vital to the nation’s economy and global energy supply.
Describing the development as a grave escalation, Al Thani said the strikes constitute a clear violation of Qatar’s sovereignty and a breach of international law. He warned that actions capable of endangering civilian populations and strategic facilities cannot be justified under any circumstances.
The Qatari leader reiterated Doha’s commitment to regional stability and diplomacy but emphasized that any threat to the country’s territorial integrity would be treated with utmost seriousness.
The exchange underscores the growing strain in relations between Tehran and several Gulf states as tensions across the Middle East continue to intensify, raising fears of wider regional repercussions if the crisis is not contained.
Qatar Rejects Iran’s Explanation for Missile Strikes, Says Attacks Hit Civilian Areas
-
News2 years agoRoger Federer’s Shock as DNA Results Reveal Myla and Charlene Are Not His Biological Children
-
Opinions4 years agoTHE PLIGHT OF FARIDA
-
News1 year agoFAILED COUP IN BURKINA FASO: HOW TRAORÉ NARROWLY ESCAPED ASSASSINATION PLOT AMID FOREIGN INTERFERENCE CLAIMS
-
News2 years agoEYN: Rev. Billi, Distortion of History, and The Living Tamarind Tree
-
Opinions4 years agoPOLICE CHARGE ROOMS, A MINTING PRESS
-
ACADEMICS2 years agoA History of Biu” (2015) and The Lingering Bura-Pabir Question (1)
-
Columns2 years agoArmy University Biu: There is certain interest, but certainly not from Borno.
-
Opinions2 years agoTinubu,Shettima: The epidemic of economic, insecurity in Nigeria
