Connect with us

Crime

Yobe community protest over killing of truck driver by security operatives

Published

on

Yobe community protest over killing of truck driver by security operatives

Hundreds of youths have stormed the streets of Gashu’a town, the headquarters of Bade local government area of Yobe State to protest the alleged killing of a young truck driver identified as Mohammed Musa by security operatives.

The youths set tires and other property ablaze and demanded justice for the deceased whom they described as a peaceful and law-abiding person.

Musa was allegedly shot dead on Friday evening at a petrol station while scampering for safety when the armed men arrived on a motorcycle to enforce the ban on the sale of Premium Motor Spirit (PMS), also known as petrol, in jerrycans.

According to Adamu Hassan, who witnessed the incident, the sudden arrival of the soldiers caused panic among the people who were at the facility.

“The military personnel drove into the station on motorcycles and other military vehicles with their heads covered, which caused panic,” Hassan narrated. “But they asked the people to calm down. A scared driver who attempted to escape was shot dead on the spot.”

Another source, who pleaded anonymity, said, “The military (operatives) were patrolling filling stations that are selling the prohibited Premium Motor Spirit in jerry cans.

“On sighting the military, all the people in the station were trying to escape which led to the shooting of the said driver.”

As soon as the man was killed, irate youths took to the streets in protest of the shooting, wielding sticks and chanting various solidarity songs to demand justice.

One of the chants in their local language, “Bamu yar da ba,” is translated as “we will not agree to the killing of our driver by the military.”

Meanwhile, Gov. Mai Mala Buni of Yobe has ordered an investigation into the killing.

Buni, in a statement released on Saturday, described the incident as unfortunate after a long period of return of peace in the area and the state.

He said: “Government and the security authorities will not tolerate any act of recklessness capable of disrupting our hard-earned peace.

READ ALSO: NIS In Major Shake-Up As 6 ACGs, 26 Comptrollers Redeployed

“I, therefore, assure you that the government will properly investigate the matter and deal with it decisively.

“I also appeal to our good people of Bade Local Government Area and the entire state to remain calm and law-abiding.

“We should avoid anything detrimental to our peace. You are advised to be good Muslims, take it as the will of Allah and avoid bonfires on the roads.

“May Allah (SWT) forgive the deceased of his shortcomings, grant him Aljannatur Firdaus and to his family, the fortitude to bear the loss.”

When contacted, the spokesman of the Police Command in Yobe, ASP Dungus Abdulkarim, confirmed that his officers have restored law and order in the area.

He said the matter was under investigation and anyone found wanting would face the full wrath of the law.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Crime

Troops Foil Kidnap Attempt, Rescue Four Minors in Plateau

Published

on

Troops Foil Kidnap Attempt, Rescue Four Minors in Plateau

By Zagazola Makama

Troops of Sector 1, Operation ENDURING PEACE, have foiled an attempted kidnapping and rescued four minors in Agingi, Bassa Local Government Area of Plateau State.

The incident occurred at about 5:45 p.m. on Aug. 17, when troops responded to a report that four children had been targeted by suspected kidnappers while returning from the farm.

The troops’ swift intervention forced the criminals to flee, leading to the rescue of the victims.

The rescued minors were identified as Happy Pius, 15; David Monday, 13; Mercy Pius, 14; and Joy Monday, 13.

The victims were subsequently reunited with their families, while security forces commenced efforts to track down and apprehend the fleeing suspects.

The successful intervention underscores the importance of rapid military response and community alerts in preventing criminal elements from abducting vulnerable residents in rural communities.

Troops Foil Kidnap Attempt, Rescue Four Minors in Plateau

Continue Reading

Crime

Minister Tours NEDC Projects in Borno, Reaffirms FG’s North-East Infrastructure Push

Published

on

Minister Tours NEDC Projects in Borno, Reaffirms FG’s North-East Infrastructure Push

By Halima Abatcha

The Minister of State for Regional Development, Uba Maigari Ahmadu, has reaffirmed the Federal Government’s commitment to accelerating infrastructure development across the North-East.

The Minister gave the assurance during a two-day working visit to Borno State to inspect ongoing infrastructure projects being executed by the North-East Development Commission, NEDC.

The Minister’s inspection covered the 250-capacity bed hostel with kitchen, laundry and dining hall facilities at the Mohamet Lawan College of Agriculture, Maiduguri, as well as the Moro Moro and Fori Bridges, all being constructed by the North-East Development Commission.

At the College of Agriculture, the Minister, accompanied by the Managing Director of NEDC, Dr. Mohammed Goni Alkali, and senior management staff of the Commission, was received by the Provost of the institution, Professor Abba Makinta, alongside the supervising engineer.

The delegation was briefed on the level of work and the progress recorded so far.

The Minister commended the pace of construction and stressed the need for the project to be delivered according to approved specifications and within the required timeframe.

“Mr. President Bola Ahmed Tinubu is deeply committed to the development and stabilisation of the North-East. The NEDC is one of the key instruments through which this commitment is being translated into concrete infrastructure interventions” Maigari said.

The Managing Director of NEDC, Dr. Mohammed Goni Alkali, reaffirmed the Commission’s commitment to providing quality infrastructure that addresses the needs of communities across the North-East.

The Minister and his entourage later inspected the Moro Moro Bridge, which was destroyed by the September 2024 Maiduguri flood and is now being reconstructed by NEDC as part of its intervention projects.

Briefing the Minister, the Supervising Engineer, Kori Shettima, gave a technical overview of the project, explaining that the bridge has a total length of approximately 120 metres.

Engr. Kori explained that the bridge is a vital infrastructure serving communities in Borno State and traders from neighbouring countries, as its reconstruction will ease the transportation of goods and improve access to the Gamboru International Market.

The Chairman of Moro Moro Market, Alhaji Modu Maiduguri, while commending NEDC for restoring the vital link, disclosed that the collapse of the bridge had negatively affected commercial activities in the area.

At the Galtimari-Fori ongoing construction Bridge, also affected by the September 2024 flood, Engr. Kori Shettima explained to the delegation that the 9 Span and 180 meters bridge is 80 per cent complete, with major structural works already completed and final works ongoing.

The Minister expressed satisfaction with the quality of work and commended the NEDC, the contractors and supervising engineers for the progress recorded, stressing the importance of delivering the projects in line with approved specifications and engineering standards.

He said the interventions are consistent with President Bola Ahmed Tinubu’s commitment to addressing the infrastructure deficit and promoting development across the North-East, assuring that the Ministry of Regional Development will continue to support NEDC in delivering its mandate and completing ongoing projects across the region.

“President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has Borno at heart and is committed to the development of the North-East. We are here to ensure that this commitment translates into quality infrastructure, and the Ministry will continue to support NEDC in delivering these projects for the benefit of the people,” Uba said.

Speaking on the interventions, the Managing Director of NEDC, Dr. Mohammed Goni Alkali, said the Commission remains committed to completing its ongoing projects across Borno State and other parts of the North-East.

“Our commitment is to ensure that these projects are completed to specification and delivered for the benefit of the people. NEDC is implementing similar interventions across the North-East, and we will continue to work with reliable contractors and consultants to achieve timely and quality delivery.”

The Minister’s two-day visit formed part of the Ministry’s oversight responsibilities over projects being implemented by the North-East Development Commission, with a focus on ensuring compliance with approved specifications, quality standards and project timelines.

Minister Tours NEDC Projects in Borno, Reaffirms FG’s North-East Infrastructure Push

Continue Reading

Crime

Fleeing N39bn Cocaine Cartel Kingpin Nabbed At Lagos Airport — NDLEA

Published

on

Fleeing N39bn Cocaine Cartel Kingpin Nabbed At Lagos Airport — NDLEA

By: Michael Mike

The National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) has arrested the alleged Nigerian arrowhead of an international cocaine trafficking cartel at the Murtala Muhammed International Airport, Lagos, as he attempted to flee the country, following the seizure of 184.5 kilogrammes of cocaine worth an estimated N39 billion.

The NDLEA Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, Brig. Gen. Mohamed Buba Marwa (rtd.), disclosed this in Lagos on Tuesday while briefing journalists on what he described as one of the agency’s most significant narcotics investigations in recent times.

Marwa said the suspect, Afolabi Kazeem Michael, popularly known as “KC Luxury,” was arrested at the airport’s boarding gate on the night of August 13, 2026, following intelligence that he planned to escape Nigeria on a business-class flight to Paris.

According to him, the suspect, who presented himself publicly as a luxury goods dealer, businessman and social media influencer, allegedly operated as the Nigerian coordinator of a transnational cocaine trafficking network with links stretching from South America through Nigeria to the United Kingdom, other parts of Europe and Asia.

“He did not walk into our custody voluntarily,” Marwa said, explaining that NDLEA operatives moved in after receiving credible intelligence about his planned departure.

At the point of arrest, the suspect was allegedly found with €7,750, £2,800 and N100,000 in cash, as well as expensive jewellery believed to be connected to the proceeds of his illicit activities.

A subsequent search of his luxury apartment on Banana Island, Ikoyi, Lagos, also led to the recovery of exotic vehicles, the NDLEA chief said.

The investigation followed the interception of a consignment containing 184.5kg of cocaine concealed for onward export through a courier logistics company in Lagos.

Marwa said the scale of the seizure prompted him to establish a Special Investigation Team to trace the entire network behind the shipment, including the couriers, intermediaries, financial facilitators and masterminds.

The investigation led to the arrest of Lawal Kehinde, a staff member of the logistics company through which the cocaine consignment was processed.

According to the NDLEA, Kehinde maintained a sustained relationship with the cartel’s Nigerian coordinator and allegedly packaged and processed consignments for the syndicate before routing them to the United Kingdom, Europe and Asia in exchange for cash payments.

The agency said investigations further revealed that the cartel used intermediary companies and false identities to conceal the true consignors of its shipments and relied on financial facilitators to move billions of naira on its behalf.

Marwa said some members of the same syndicate had also been arrested in the United Kingdom, describing the near-simultaneous arrests in Nigeria and Britain as evidence of effective international cooperation in tackling transnational drug trafficking.

He said the cartel had hoped to realise as much as N39 billion from the distribution of the seized cocaine through its international network.

The operation, according to the NDLEA, also highlights a changing pattern in the activities of international drug trafficking organisations, which are increasingly moving away from traditional routes such as seaports and airports to courier and logistics companies.

Marwa said traffickers appeared to have assumed that courier companies offered less scrutiny, but the successful investigation demonstrated the agency’s ability to penetrate such channels.

“There is no alternative route into or out of Nigeria for illicit drugs that this Agency cannot police,” he said.

The NDLEA chairman linked the operation to a series of recent investigations targeting transnational drug networks, including the dismantling of the Switzerland-based Simon Amadi cartel, which allegedly laundered millions of dollars in drug proceeds through dark-web marketplaces, as well as the disruption of two Nigerian-Mexican methamphetamine syndicates operating clandestine laboratories in forests in Ogun and Oyo states.

He said the latest operation demonstrated that traffickers could no longer rely on wealth, luxury lifestyles, international connections or social media influence to evade law enforcement.

“To those who believe they can hide behind luxury brands, glamorous lifestyles, and social media personas while trafficking poison into our communities and across our borders, this Agency will find you,” Marwa said.

“It does not matter how well-connected, how wealthy, or how far you attempt to run. As this case demonstrates, we will track you to the departure gate if we must.”

He commended the international partners involved in the investigation and the Special Investigation Team, coordinated by the Director of Operations and General Investigation, for what he described as their diligence and professionalism.

Marwa assured Nigerians that the agency would continue to disrupt international drug trafficking networks and prevent the country from being used as a transit corridor for narcotics destined for other parts of the world.

He said the NDLEA would also intensify efforts to protect Nigerian communities and young people from the devastating consequences of illicit drugs.

The agency’s latest operation comes amid heightened efforts to dismantle transnational narcotics networks exploiting Nigeria’s extensive commercial, aviation and logistics infrastructure to move drugs across international borders.

Fleeing N39bn Cocaine Cartel Kingpin Nabbed At Lagos Airport — NDLEA

Continue Reading

Trending

Verified by MonsterInsights