News
NCPC: VP Shettima Affirms President Tinubu’s Devotion To Interfaith Harmony
NCPC: VP Shettima Affirms President Tinubu’s Devotion To Interfaith Harmony
*Tasks members on religious tolerance, hitch-free pilgrimage
By: Our Reporter
Vice President Kashim Shettima has reaffirmed the resolve of the President Bola Ahmed Tinubu administration to uphold religious freedom and interfaith unity.
According to him, regardless of anyone’s position, the place of faith in the nation is not only critical but provides a framework for comfort among citizens and for the stability of the nation at large.
Speaking on Tuesday when he inaugurated the Board of the Nigerian Christian Pilgrims Commission (NCPC) at the Presidential Villa, Abuja, the Vice President said Nigeria is what it is because it is a nation of God, and this spirituality is of prevailing interest.

VP Shettima maintained that Nigeria’s strength lies in its diversity of faiths, vowing that there will be no discrimination under the Tinubu-led government.
“Our duty is to provide a safe haven for members of each faith and uphold the rights and freedoms in our constitution,” he stated, reminding the board of NCPC’s role in easing pilgrimage affairs for Nigerian Christians, a “sacred tradition” that must be prioritized.
“It is our pledge that Christians will access optimum privileges in pursuit of their spiritual journey. Your duty here is a service to God and humanity in the best way possible, ” he added.
The VP urged the new NCPC board members to be unifying figures dedicated to promoting interfaith harmony through compassion, justice, and mutual respect.

His words: “We can only emerge stronger and more resilient as a nation through dialogue, empathy and reconciliation. The Nation has grappled with the shadows of division fueled by the flames of intolerance and misunderstanding for far too long. Yet, in the flickering light of hope, we find solace in the knowledge that it is through interfaith harmony.”
VP Shettima recalled President Tinubu’s promise when he assumed office, that his government would have no place for discrimination, assuring that the administration is fervently committed to ensuring interfaith harmony remains the ultimate priority.
“Let us heed the call of the Lord to be our brothers’ keepers, our sisters’ keepers, and good neighbours wherever we find ourselves. We can only achieve this when we recognize that our diversity is not a source of weakness but rather a wellspring of strength,” the Vice President observed.
Earlier in his remarks, the newly appointed Chairman of the NCPC board, Rev. (Monsignor) Cletus Gotan, thanked the President for the government’s support in sponsoring pilgrimage journeys that encourage the spiritual upliftment of citizens.
“We appreciate the interest of the President and his government in encouraging the spiritual upliftment of our citizens by sponsoring these sacred journeys which will take us to our holy places and teach us about unity,” Prof. Gotan, who is the Vicar General of the Catholic Archdiocese of Jos and a former Dean of Education at the University of Jos, said.
The NCPC chairman pledged that the new board would work to improve pilgrimage services. “We will leave the NCPC better than we found it. We would ensure that we go there for prayers for the government, our families and for people,” he stated.
Expressing hope that the pilgrimage exercise would foster greater understanding and unity, Rev. Gotan said, “We pray that the exercise will help us appreciate how to live with each other as children of the same father. God has placed us in a country that is multifarious in nature”.
The Chairman disclosed that the board’s composition includes bishops, senior clerics, pastors, former EYN presidents and “eminent men and women of integrity” across Christian denominations, under the government’s supervision.
Other members of the board included Hon. Omowumi Olubunmi Ogunlola (South West), Chief Clement Alobu Nweke (South East), Weli Wosu (South South), Rev. Fr. Prof. Joseph Haruna Mamman (North West), Dr. Toma Hamidu Ragnjiya (North East), Dr. Simon Abu Samson Dolly (North Central) and Bishop Dr. Raphael Benjamin Nwankwo (CAN).
There were also representatives from the Federal Ministry of Health and Social Welfare, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, and the Central Bank of Nigeria. Bishop Stephen Adegbite was the Executive Secretary of the NCPC.
NCPC: VP Shettima Affirms President Tinubu’s Devotion To Interfaith Harmony
News
Troops recover suspected stolen motorcycle in Plateau
Troops recover suspected stolen motorcycle in Plateau
By: Zagazola Makama
Troops of Sector 6, Operation Enduring Peace have recovered a suspected stolen motorcycle following a pursuit of suspected motorcycle snatchers in Riyom Local Government Area of Plateau.
Security sources disclosed that the incident occurred at about 6:30 p.m. on May 21 along the Bachi-Banghai road after troops received reports on the activities of suspected motorcycle snatchers in the area.
The sources said the troops immediately mobilised and pursued the suspects, who abandoned the motorcycle and fled upon sighting the security personnel.
According to the sources, the recovered motorcycle has been secured, while efforts were ongoing to identify the rightful owner and apprehend the fleeing suspects.
The military said the operation formed part of sustained efforts to combat criminal activities and enhance security across Plateau.
Troops recover suspected stolen motorcycle in Plateau
News
Troops launch rescue operation after abduction in Plateau
Troops launch rescue operation after abduction in Plateau
By: Zagazola Makama
Troops of Sector 1, Operation Enduring Peace have launched a rescue operation following the abduction of a resident in Bassa Local Government Area of Plateau.
Security sources disclosed that the incident occurred at about 11:00 p.m. on May 21 when gunmen reportedly abducted Mr Eze Emeka from his residence at Agingi village.
The sources said troops swiftly responded to the distress report and commenced rescue operations in collaboration with other security agencies.
According to the sources, efforts were ongoing to track down the kidnappers and secure the safe release of the victim.
The military assured residents that security forces were intensifying operations to curb criminal activities in the area.
Troops launch rescue operation after abduction in Plateau
News
JNIM attack in Tillaberi signals deepening jihadist rivalry and expanding Sahel instability
JNIM attack in Tillaberi signals deepening jihadist rivalry and expanding Sahel instability
By: Zagazola Makama
The reported deadly attack on a Nigerien Army engineering unit near Garbougna in the Tillaberi Region marks a significant escalation in the evolving security dynamics of western Niger and the wider Sahel.
With an estimated 67 soldiers and civilians reportedly killed and a military camp destroyed, the incident underscores both the intensity and increasing sophistication of militant operations in the region.
Beyond the immediate casualties, the attack is notable for its attribution to Jama’at Nusrat al-Islam wal-Muslimin (JNIM), which swiftly claimed responsibility. Tillaberi have long been considered a stronghold of Islamic State in the Sahel (IS Sahel), suggesting a possible shift in operational influence or encroachment into contested territory.
The incident reflects an emerging pattern of geographic diffusion of jihadist violence across the Tera–Niamey corridor, an axis that has repeatedly come under pressure from armed groups. The corridor connects several vulnerable departments, including Tera, Torodi, Say and Ayorou, all of which have experienced repeated attacks in recent years.
The Garbougna attack also fits into a broader sequence of high-casualty operations across Niger since early 2026, including reported strikes near Niamey airport in January and Makalondi in February. These incidents collectively indicate sustained pressure on Nigerien security forces and an expanding operational reach of armed groups closer to strategic population centres.
Of particular concern is the apparent intensification of competition between IS Sahel and JNIM. While both groups have historically operated in overlapping zones, recent claims of responsibility and counter-claims suggest a more overt struggle for influence, recruitment, and territorial control. The reported clash between the two factions near Petel Kole earlier in the year further supports this assessment.
The implications of this rivalry are significant. Rather than reducing violence through competition, the fragmentation of jihadist groups in the Sahel has in some cases resulted in increased attacks, as factions seek to demonstrate operational strength and legitimacy.
At the same time, the weakening of state presence in rural and border communities is compounding the crisis. Reports of closed schools, non-functional health facilities, and inactive markets point to a gradual erosion of governance structures in affected areas. This vacuum continues to facilitate militant mobility and recruitment.
Another critical dimension is the increasing use of improvised explosive devices (IEDs), which has reportedly hindered post-attack clearance operations in the Garbougna area. Such tactics not only slow military response but also expand the risk zone for civilians and security forces alike.
Strategically, Tillaberi remains the epicentre of Niger’s insecurity challenges, given its proximity to the Mali and Burkina Faso border regions. The corridor’s proximity to Niamey raises additional concerns, particularly regarding potential spillover effects into the capital’s security perimeter.
The Garbougna attack, therefore, illustrates a convergence of three destabilising trends: escalating casualty levels, intensified jihadist competition, and shrinking state control in border regions. Taken together, these dynamics suggest a deteriorating security outlook for western Niger, with implications that extend beyond national boundaries into the wider Sahel security architecture.
JNIM attack in Tillaberi signals deepening jihadist rivalry and expanding Sahel instability
-
News2 years agoRoger Federer’s Shock as DNA Results Reveal Myla and Charlene Are Not His Biological Children
-
Opinions4 years agoTHE PLIGHT OF FARIDA
-
News1 year agoFAILED COUP IN BURKINA FASO: HOW TRAORÉ NARROWLY ESCAPED ASSASSINATION PLOT AMID FOREIGN INTERFERENCE CLAIMS
-
News2 years agoEYN: Rev. Billi, Distortion of History, and The Living Tamarind Tree
-
Opinions4 years agoPOLICE CHARGE ROOMS, A MINTING PRESS
-
ACADEMICS2 years agoA History of Biu” (2015) and The Lingering Bura-Pabir Question (1)
-
Columns2 years agoArmy University Biu: There is certain interest, but certainly not from Borno.
-
Opinions2 years agoTinubu,Shettima: The epidemic of economic, insecurity in Nigeria
