News
UK Introduces New Trading Rules for Developing Countries

UK Introduces New Trading Rules for Developing Countries
By Michael Mike
The United Kingdom (UK) said it has radically simplified trading rules and cut tariffs on products from developing countries, saving businesses and consumers millions of pounds a year.
A statement on signed by the
Senior Press & Public Affairs Officer | Comms Lead, Prosperity and Economic Development, Ndidiamaka Eze said the
UK’s new post-Brexit Developing Countries Trading Scheme (DCTS) scheme has entered into force on Monday and that it covers 65 countries, including Nigeria.
The statement said the scheme removes or reduces tariffs and simplifies trading rules so that more products qualify for the scheme, making it more generous than the EU scheme the UK was previously a member of.
Eze, in the statement, said: “The scheme will benefit developing countries looking to diversify and increase exports, driving their prosperity and creating jobs. Over time, were developing countries to increase trade with the UK under the scheme, businesses could save millions more on import costs.
“In Nigeria, over 99% of goods exported from the country will automatically be eligible for duty-free access to the UK. Nigeria will receive enhanced preferential
access for almost 3,000 products. E.g. 4.5% removed on cocoa paste, 26.5% removed on fruit juices, & 14% removed on prepared tomatoes.”
Eze disclosed that the UK’s Minister for International Trade Nigel Huddleston launched the scheme while on a visit to Ethiopia’s largest industrial business park, Bole Lemi.
Speaking at the park, Minister Huddleston, was quoted to have said:
“This DCTS scheme is a brilliant example of the UK taking advantage of its status as an independent trading nation and I am excited to see it implemented
today.
“It will create opportunities for businesses around the world, supporting livelihoods, creating jobs and diversifying local and international supply chains. It will also benefit UK businesses and consumers by lowering import costs on a whole range of products.”
The Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office’s Minister for Development and Africa, Andrew Mitchell, was also quoted to have said that: “The UK’s new trading scheme for 65 developing countries, DCTS, shows how we can use trade to deliver development.
“It will benefit traders around the world, including women-owned businesses, which we are supporting through the UK Trade Partnership programme.”
The scheme is to benefit businesses all over the world and British companies that trade with these countries in everyday products such as bicycles and camping
gear.
Speaking on the launch, UK Deputy British High Commissioner in Lagos, Ben Llewellyn-Jones said:“Nigeria is one of the UK’s most important partners in Africa and the UK Government is committed to working with Nigerian businesses and exporters to boost trade between our two great nations. The UK’s Developing Countries Trading Scheme harnesses the power of trade to help Nigeria and other emerging economies grow and prosper.
“One major benefit of this new UK trading scheme is that it abolishes tariffs on over 3000 everyday products that Nigeria currently exports including cocoa, cotton, plantain, flowers, fertilizers, tomatoes, frozen shrimps and sesame. The overarching aim of the new scheme is to grow trade with developing countries, boosting the economy and supporting jobs in those countries, as well as in ours.”
UK Introduces New Trading Rules for Developing Countries
News
IPCR: Declaration of State of Emergency In Rivers, A Great Conflict Preventive Mechanism

IPCR: Declaration of State of Emergency In Rivers, A Great Conflict Preventive Mechanism
By: Michael Mike
The Institute for Peace and Conflict Resolution (IPCR) has commended President Bola Ahmed Tinubu’s decision to declare a state of emergency in Rivers State, describing it as a proactive conflict prevention mechanism.
This move, according to the IPCR, will provide an opportunity for those involved in the crisis to reassess their actions, come together, and work towards resolving their differences.
The state of emergency, the IPCR explains, will serve as a vital tool in preventing conflicts by enabling the government to respond rapidly to emerging crises, restore order, and protect citizens.
This measure will also prevent the escalation of conflicts, reduce the risk of widespread violence and instability, and ultimately restore order and protect citizens, who are often the most affected in times of crisis.
President Tinubu’s decision to declare a state of emergency in Rivers State was made after a thorough evaluation of the political situation in the state. According to the President, the Governor and Deputy Governor of Rivers State had failed to request his intervention, as required by the Constitution, leaving him with no choice but to take proactive measures to restore stability in the state.
The declaration of a state of emergency in Rivers State has been ratified by the National Assembly, with President Tinubu commending the lawmakers for their patriotic stand. The President acknowledged the lawmakers’ diligent review of classified security briefings, which underscored the urgent need for intervention to prevent further escalation.
The six-month emergency period will empower the newly-appointed Sole Administrator to stabilize Rivers State, address systemic breakdowns, and facilitate dialogue among conflicting parties. President Tinubu has reaffirmed his administration’s commitment to deepening collaboration with the National Assembly to advance peace, economic resilience, and equitable development across Nigeria.
IPCR: Declaration of State of Emergency In Rivers, A Great Conflict Preventive Mechanism
News
Air Algerie Commences Inaugural Flight to Abuja on Sunday

Air Algerie Commences Inaugural Flight to Abuja on Sunday
By: Michael Mike
Air Algerie is to commence direct flight from Algiers, the capital of Algeria to Abuja, to fly inaugural flight into Nigeria’s capital on Sunday 6th April.
A statement by the acting spokesperson of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Kimiebi Ebienfa on Wednesday read: “The Ministry of Foreign Affairs is pleased to announce the commencement of Air Algerie inaugural direct flight service from Algiers to Abuja, scheduled for 6th April 2025.
“This historic development marks a significant milestone in the growing diplomatic and economic relations between Nigeria and Algeria. It is pertinent to state that it is the implementation of the Bilateral Air Services Agreement (BASA) between both countries, which culminated in this successful venture.”
The statement added that: “The new route, operated by the Algeria’s national carrier, Algerie Air with a Boeing 737 Aircraft, will positively enhance connectivity, promote tourism, and facilitate trade and investment between the two nations. This landmark development equally underscores the shared commitment of both countries to deepening bilateral cooperation in aviation, commerce, and people-to-people exchanges.
The Ministry commended the significant role played by the Embassy of Nigeria in Algiers for not only facilitating this noble goal but also seeing to its fruition, the Charge d’Affaires of the Embassy of Nigeria in Algiers, leadership of the Nigerian Community in Algeria and representative of the Algerian Government are expected to be on board the scheduled inaugural flight.
The statement further read: “The Federal Government of Nigeria, through the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and relevant aviation authorities, extends its warm congratulations to Air Algerie and assures all necessary support to ensure the success and sustainability of this new service. We believe this initiative will further strengthen the longstanding friendship between Nigeria and Algeria, while opening new opportunities for mutual growth. The affordable fare structure and the proximity of Algeria to Europe would also provide Nigerians with a convenient gateway to Europe, thereby enhancing Nigeria’s position as a regional hub for business, tourism, and transit.
“The Nigerian government therefore encourages citizens and the business communities to take advantage of this enhanced air connectivity, which will operate twice a week, to explore trade, tourism, and cultural exchanges between both countries. We look forward to a successful inaugural flight and a prosperous partnership with Air Algeria.”
Air Algerie Commences Inaugural Flight to Abuja on Sunday
News
Elites are also guilty of increasing zero dose prevalence in Borno state

Elites are also guilty of increasing zero dose prevalence in Borno state
By: Bodunrin Kayode
The Director of Public and Community Health in the Borno State Primary Healthcare Development Agency (BSPHDA) Dr Mala Abdulwahab has said that security challenges contribute to the high prevalence of zero dose.
Dr Mala regretted that a lot of the “zero-doses” of immunization being recorded in Borno state comes from the lingering level of insecurity plaguing the state adding that a reduction of the prevalence would take place only if these insecurity gaps are closed.
Dr Mala made these assertions during a review meeting of the Borno state annual score card for immunization accountability 2024 as put together by the Committee of Practice (COP) and the Africa Health Budget Network (AHBN) which held in maiduguri recently.
He said that the lingering insurgency in the state has definitely put a clog in the wheels of a lot of progress which should have been made in the reduction of the zero dose when it comes to immunization adding that it is the hope of the COP that this primary challenge would soon be a thing of the past.
Speaking on further challenges working against health workers during zero dose immunization, Dr Mala regretted that a lot of residents actually assume that because elites are expected to have some form of education, resistance or carelessness will not emanate from them or even core insiders in the medical profession.
Mala’s sadness on this issue stems from the fact that a large chunk of some medical personnel in Borno state are not helping to attack the rising prevalence of the zero dose cases in the state, because they equally take the campaign for granted depriving their kids from having the relevant vaccines as at when due.
The Director of public and community health revealed that Borno state contributes a whopping 60 percent of the measles prevalence in the country adding that something urgently must be done by health workers and educators to reverse this unsatisfactory trend within the sector.
The Director Community health posited that theses kids who are yet to start their regimes of the vaccines especially penta 1,2 and 3 are equally contributing to the embarrassing statistics being reeled out from within the system.
“There is really no reason why we must be having zero-dose cases up till now within this part of the country. It is very unfortunate that this preventable occurrences keep coming up in spite of our efforts.
“Some of the zero-does do come from the elites in the country while some are compromised by prevailing security challenges especially around the state capital areas and some other parts of the state too. But we must keep trying.
” Let me tell you how we used to handle difficult fulani people in the bush, we go with our veterinary doctors and by using the veterinarians they talk to the fulani people to fall in line in terms of taking the vaccines. They see their cattle getting better and their kids too.
” However, it is regrettable that some medical practitioners are not allowing their kids to be immunized against the six killer diseases. This should never be allowed to thrive within the on coming immunization campaigns.
“And this is why I am calling on all of us here to pay relevant visits to VIPs, stakeholders and influencers to ensure that the civil society, media and others are carried along to reduce zero-doses to the nearest minimum.
“For immunity to be maintained, we need to work on the 65 percent coverage of immunization in the state to something better. We must make better progress in the pending campaigns.
” I also urge that advocacies should be done in large numbers to ensure effectiveness. Community leaders will take you more serious when you go in large numbers to make your points heard” Said Mala.
The Director called on field representatives to make deliberate efforts to ensure they anchor their advocacies with the traditional rulers of each domain like the Shehu of Borno in the state capital to make the expected progress.
Also present in the review session, Peace Ambassador, Ahmed Shehu assured the round table of stakeholders that their convergence will close a lot of gaps on the entire vaccination architecture in the state.
He assured that Musamman like him will do their best to ensure that the zero-dose prevalence becomes a thing of the past as they forge ahead in the 2025 campaigns.
Also speaking, Dr Musa Melton, a senior field coordinator of the African Field Epidemiology Network (AFENET) in Borno state noted that the exercise was meant to open the remaining vestiges of existing challenges caused by the zero dose and dealing with them decisively from the coming campaigns to be mounted by the community of practice (COP).
He however noted that the last review of actualities on ground was not all that gloomy because epidemiological statistics indicated that the number of zero-doses have actually reduced in the state and the entire country.
Melton commended Dr Aminu Magashi the founder of the Africa health network for bringing the vital budgetary issues to the fore adding that with the new push to bringing down the number of zero-doses in the state and the willingness of the state govt led by Prof Babagana Zulum to spend more on health, there is good news at the horizon.
Dr Melton stated that measles has however dropped drastically in the state and the entire country from last year’s statistics to this year’s adding that they will soon celebrate the end of the zero-dose prevalence as the campaigns intensifies.
UNICEF immunization officer and representative in the round table Bashir Elegbede frowned at dishonest immunization officers adding that inspectors will be in the field for the next campaign to hunt down such people and reduce such misbehaving practitioners contributing to the zero dose.
He warned that everyone will answer his or her fathers name this time around as business as usual will never be tolerated from anyone.
Present at the occasion were stake holders from within the state and some from outside like Dr Aminu Magashi who is the global convener of the community of practice (COP) on accountability and social action on health and a member of the global action plan for SDG 3 advocacy group.
A child in contemporary Nigeria is said to be out of the zero-dose prevalence when such a child had been subjected to BCG, OPV O, Hepatitis BO all at birth.
Within six weeks the same child should have taken Pentavalent 1, PCV 1, OPV1, IPV1, and ROTA 1 while at 10 weeks, Pentavalent 2, PCV2, OPV2 and ROTA 2.
At 14 weeks a child is expected to have taken Pentavalent 3, PVC 3, OPV 3, IPV2 and Rota 3.
At five months the malaria vaccine should be infused while at six months the vitamin A 1st dose even as the malaria vaccine is followed at seven months.
By nine months one’s baby should be done with measles first dose, yellow fever, Meningitis vaccine and vitamin A second dose even as the measles second dose and malaria vaccine are administered at 15 months.
Updated data received from the COP indicated that by 9 Years, children should be ready for the human Papilloma virus vaccine and that should make them good to go by world standards to avoid zero-doses.
This is the contemporary ideal and expectations for all children as laid down by the national primary health agency of Nigeria.
Elites are also guilty of increasing zero dose prevalence in Borno state
-
News1 year ago
Roger Federer’s Shock as DNA Results Reveal Myla and Charlene Are Not His Biological Children
-
Opinions3 years ago
THE PLIGHT OF FARIDA
-
News1 year ago
EYN: Rev. Billi, Distortion of History, and The Living Tamarind Tree
-
Opinions3 years ago
POLICE CHARGE ROOMS, A MINTING PRESS
-
Columns1 year ago
Army University Biu: There is certain interest, but certainly not from Borno.
-
ACADEMICS1 year ago
A History of Biu” (2015) and The Lingering Bura-Pabir Question (1)
-
Opinions1 year ago
Tinubu,Shettima: The epidemic of economic, insecurity in Nigeria
-
Politics7 months ago
Kashim Shettima: Of Sentiments, Their Opinions, and the 21 billion Naira VP’s Official Resident